GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this site, I have moved from an 03' VTX 1800C for the last 3 years to an 03' Wing and the best way to sum this up is WOW.... I love my wing and long hauls seem effortless now. I found the windbender online and need some feedback before I change out the stock windshield. Anyone??????????????

·
Registered
364 Posts
Windshields and oil, there's different opinion with every rider. There is a good windshield thread going on now that Toyo started.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Went from OEM on my '02 (piece of crap - terrible buffeting and back pressure) to a Tulsa (much quieter ride but little wind flow and didn't like looking through the shield, especially in the rain and at night) to a Windbender HP. I really like this windshield. Much less buffeting, I can adjust the height according to the type of riding that I'm doing, and at the end of the day, take the top part of the windscreen off and put in the shower at the motel if on a trip for a good cleaning to remove all the bug debris. The HP does have some distortion at the bend in the top lip, but I'm usually looking over it. Some folks suggest that the ST model is better if you have a passenger for lessening turbulence, but so far the HP has done the job quite well for me and my passenger.

Ed W.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ed,
Since the WB is adjustable does it really matter which size you get, I am 5'10" and have a 34 inseam. My wife is the one that gets most of the wind and I don't like the looks of such a tall one like the tulsa. I read all the threads that Toyo started, just wanted some honest opinios from some WB owners.... Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
21,137 Posts
i have been interested in a wind bender since they first came out but so far havn't tried one

one thing i have noticed is lots of folks buy a wind bender and claim they love it for various reasons but a few months later the same folks have thier wind benders forsale in the classifieds, they do seem to sell pretty quick if the price is reasonable

i guess the only way to know for sure is to buy one and see for yourself

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have the Windbender with the electric option, and use it all the time to adjust to the type of riding (up for the super slabs, down for the twisties). It makes a world of difference in the turbulence/noise department. Yes, the electric option is a couple of bucks, but the Windbender, along with the Traxxion suspension, are "must haves", and will be on any future bikes I own.

Mike

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I have a Windbender with the electric option. Have both the HP and ST shields. I rarely use the HP. Early this summer I took it off and put my Tulsa back on because I didn't like the rain coming up between the two halves of the shield. That lasted less than a week because I missed looking over the shield. The rain coming up through is a fair trade off for as often as I actually ride in the rain. My Windbender is a keeper.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words:

These were taken after riding through early spring moth breeding season. Notice that there is not one bug splat on either mine or my wife's helmets. This was all done with the Windbender HP-S set one notch lower than recommended.

I'm not going back.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Had a Cee Bailey vented +2 on my 03. Now have the Windbender ST on the 05. I would go with the Windbender again if I had to do it over. Both shields reduce buffeting for both the rider and passenger but the Windbender accomplishes the task at a lower setting where I can still look over it.

The Cee Bailey was effective at getting the buffeting off the bride but it had to be raised to a point that I was looking through it. For one up riding the CB was fine.

The only down side to the bender I have found is the shield seems to scratch very easily, you must be very careful about the way you clean it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
DL,

When I bought the Windbender, there was only only size/height available. I'm 6 ft. tall, 33 inch inseam with tall torso. I run the Windbender at about the mid-position for good protection from buffeting.
I've run the Windbender on a few long trips in the rain and never really noticed or had problems with rain running between the two halves. I was more bothered by rain dripping over the top of the Tulsa. I've got a friend with a Cee Bailey that really is interested in trying out the Windbender. BTW, if anyone is interested in a clear Tulsa (with vent), it's for sale 'cause after 50,000 miles on the Windbender, I'm not going back.

Ed W.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I have to explain my statement about the rain coming up between the two sections of the Windbender. It wasn't a shower.....it was a very hard rain. We seem to have had a lot of those type rains in the early part of this years riding season. On the flip side, I was with a group in the mountains of central PA the second week of september and we stopped for dinner. When we came out after dark, everyones windshield was fogged up from the cool night air. Had I still been using the Tulsa I would have had a problem because you can't look over it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Lucky 777,

Been there/done that with the Tulsa fogging up at the most inopportune time despite having cleaned the windshield with the stuff recommended for use on that particular windshield. Was riding back to Texas from Superbike races at Barber racetrack - running at the speed limit in the rain at night on the interstate - Tulsa fogged up and I was fubar'ed. Scooted back on the passenger seat to raise myself up so I could see over the windshield. Also had the Tulsa fog up while riding the beautiful Blue Ridgle Parkway - kinda made it scarey when you can't see through the windshield and on a curvey road. That was what got me to change to the Windbender.

Ed W.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Had a tall tulsa for 4 yrs. got tired of looking thru
it all the time. Got a Windbender HP and it is great.
Ride solo with it low and a little higher when cold or with my wife. I also like the look better although
I thought it was strange the first time I saw one.

Ronnie

·
Registered
142 Posts
So, how much do they cost and where do I buy one? I visited the web site but did not find pricing. Thanks, ....

·
Registered
238 Posts
Someone in a previous post suggested cutting pieces of the foam pipe insulation to fit between the shields. I did that and took them with me on our trip out East this last Summer. We ran into rain pretty frequently and the foam worked great. I now keep the foam in my trunk.
Also, my wife and I are about the same height (5'8") and she hates the wind buffeting. With the shield on maximum height (I have the non-curved version) she was still getting some buffeting. I cut two more notches in the top section (same spacing as the original notches). Running with it in the next notch up works great and she no longer complains. I tried it in the highest notch and I think that might have a tendancy to make the shield a little weak in severe turbulance. Anyway, my SO is happy and I get to ride with the shield all the way down when it's just me on the bike! :p

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you like to ride looking over the windshield, the windbender is a good product. I have the HP and ride solo 99.9% of the time. I keep it at the lowest setting all of the time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts