GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate asking questions abut tires, oil, seats etc because if you ask 10 people the same question you end up with 30 personal opinions and they all swear that theirs is the best. I am sure that opinions about windshields are also personal experiences but here goes!:cool:

I have 80K on my 06 and have always found that at higher speeds I have terrible buffeting with so much noise around my head that I have even bought different helmets thinking that would solve the problem. Wrong! I usually use a 3/4 helmet with a full face shield.

I am 5' 10", ride with the shield in the down position as I prefer to look over the windshield so I am not looking for a taller windshield. There are so many brands on the aftermarket from F4 Customs, Firecreek Windbender, Cee Bailey, Slipstreamer, VStream etc so I could use some feedback.

I have been researching for a couple of months and I was all set to go with the VStream but I read on this site from owners that some felt it seemed to benefit the passenger more than the rider. Call me selfish but I only care about the rider (and my girlfriend is only 5' and I make a good wind block)

I have no issues with the visibility of the OEM windshield. Even after 80k miles it has no scratches to speak of.

So if I do not want to go with a taller windshield, can anyone tell me what worked for them. I have tried to search the site but the threads seem to be off target not to mention the amount of postings to try and weed through.

Like most things, now with only 3 weeks before I go x-country, I need to do this now or forget it for a while. The bike is on the lift as I write this, new tires, brake pads, (cleaned the calipers, pucks etc), new clutch and brake fluids, spark plugs, new battery, tire pressure monitoring system and worst of all - a new air cleaner.

So why not add changing windshields at the last minute too. I would appreciate all of your opinions. Thanks in advance.

·
15 year Member
6,899 Posts
Suck it up cupcake, it's a Motorcycle!!

LOL

Have a Safe Trip!

Matt(BCNV) :doorag:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I have had the stock windshield for 82,000 miles and had no issues, Im 6'2" and my wife is 5'4". She has complaints mostly on the interstates at 70+ mph, she said it was beating her eyeballs out. Its funny she rides part time with me and part time on her bike and did not mention it for 4 years! She has no issues on her bike but on the passenger seat of the Goldwing she does. So this is the opposite situation that you have going on. I did buy a Windbender and I can tell you it did wonders for ME at all speeds, even though I didnt realize there was an issue before (you dont know what you dont know). I can still look over the windshield but the air is just a slight breeze now and I can hear the engine of the bike more easily now (never noticed that I couldnt before). Now for her, she said it helped her too on two lane roads and around town, however on the Interstate, she still says that I have to raise it up so that I look through it instead of over it like I like to do to really benefit her at 70+ mph. I am glad I bought the windshield, wished the power system was cheaper because I would love to have it. The only Con to the Windbender to me is that the windshield really scratches much more easier than the stock windshield. I wish they could make this as tough as the stock windshield...it is NOT.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Windsheild

I recently got a Windbender. So far I really like it. Lots of adjustability, but I have been riding with it all the way down, or up one notch. Works for me.:coffee1:

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I don't get it. You say you want the windshield all the way down and look over it. That is why they call it a windshield, the lower you put it the less protection. Take it completely off and use a full helmet and there won't be any buffetting at all, just 70 mph wind coming at your helmet. Also use ear plugs. I have the tulsa extra tall. If they made one even taller, i would get it. You can smoke a cigar behind this thing without any problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I don't get it. You say you want the windshield all the way down and look over it. That is why they call it a windshield, the lower you put it the less protection. Take it completely off and use a full helmet and there won't be any buffetting at all, just 70 mph wind coming at your helmet. Also use ear plugs. I have the tulsa extra tall. If they made one even taller, i would get it. You can smoke a cigar behind this thing without any problem. Good luck.
The Windbender will raise the wind (0 mph-60 mph) up and over your helmet, you can raise your hand up and feel where the wind is over your head and you can still look over the windshield. Some of us have just never gotten accustomed to looking through a windshield on a motorcycle. I find it really troublesome when it is raining and Im trying to see through the droplets of rain on my face shield and then through the droplets of rain on the windshield and sometimes some water will get on my sunglasses, I guess my mind is feeble or something. Could probably manage it with practice but I dont have to with the Windbender, or the stock windshield for my part. My wife needed a change over the stock windshield not me!

·
Registered
13 Posts
wind buffeting

I ride with the stock windshield in the second notch up from the bottom, still see over but wind much better. I also ride with a modular (full) helmet and find the windshield vent open one notch can help too.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I have an 08. I had the same problems initially, as did my passenger wife. I now ride with the stock windshield in the 4th position up from the bottom. I look through the windshield, and have no problem with buffeting. When it rains, I stop to put on rain gear, and move the windshield to the bottom position, and look over it. YMMV.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've had Windbender shields on both the 1500 and the 1800. It's great at reducing buffeting - I'm an avid cigar smoker and the Windbender shield increased by enjoyment of cigars immensely - and that's because of the reduced buffeting! You still get a nice feel of airflow, but it's more like a nice, gentle breeze rather than a windstorm. I highly recommend the Windbender!

·
Registered
880 Posts
I felt the same as you, buffeting. Kept the stock lowered all the way for greater visibilty and better MPG. I now raise the stock wind shield to suit me. Before buying an after market unit I'd at least try different positions.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am about the same height as you're, after trying out Tulsa, WindBender HP and HP-S, I ended up with the OEM shield with top portion cut off, then attached the Laminar lip.

Not pretty but highly functional for me, be able to look over the shield, almost no buffeting. At intersate speed, I could wear a baseball cap without get it blown away.

PM me if you need me to send the exact dimenions.

·
Registered
494 Posts
windbender by firecreek

I went to the GL1800riders group mantance day in wash.state last may.
I bought the windbender, and never got around to installing-IT,
till TWO days ago,
WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what a diff.
IT is SO !!!!!!! Quite !!!!!!
I used to think the NOLAN 102 was the loadest helmet,
Not Now.
You got to check-IT out.
thanks for your time.
google windbender by firecreek
seeya
KennyU
SeattleWA

·
Registered
811 Posts
I had similar problems with wind buffeting. Most noticeable in being able to hear my headset speakers, after 50 mph or so. Under that speed, I could hear fairly well. Over that speed, it got difficult to understand what was being said on the radio or CB.

My path to correct the situation was... higher windshield (Tulsa freedom Slide, +4"), Baker mirror wings, EarFuze corded ear plugs, Comply earplugs corded ear plugs , and lastly those cheap inexpensive foam ear plugs. Of all the things I tried, those inexpensive foam ear plugs worked the best. I suggest you try them before spending bigger $ on the accessories.

I should also say that I have a little hearing loss in my left ear and tinnutis in both ears.

Best wishes,
Dave

·
Registered
33 Posts
Don NJ,

I've just installed the windbender HP-S and national mirror wings. I'm 6ft with a 33" inseam and SO is 5'2". I have the base up 1 click and the top shield up 1 click. This is a great shield and has mostly eliminated the buffeting and the strong wind to SO's neck. We both love the improvement.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
If you have bad buffeting at the height you are using now, then your windshield is in that no man's land. You have no choice but to go higher or lower. Since you don't want to go higher.........

At 5'10", I have no doubt the OEM shield is at the wrong height when it is all the way down, and you probably have to go even lower. A lot of guys who want to look over the shield swear by the Windbender HP with the curved lip at the top.

FWIW, even though experiences and recommendations differ, none of these people who respond are necessarily wrong, and there are good reasons for the differences of opinion. Most people can't afford to try out every option and report back on what is best. (except Fred H.):lol:

With windshields, since heights differ so much, what works best for one is not going to work best for everyone. Sometimes you simply have to experiment to find out what is best for you. I wasted a lot of money on windshields before settling on what works for me.

P

·
0 Posts
I have the same problem. I ride with the windshield at its lowest setting. The buffeting is just barely tolerable at 55, and just awful at 65 and above. By the way, Windshield position is not the issue, its the turbulence behind the shield that really makes the ride uncomfortable

I just ordered The Vstream SE. I sure hope this works

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
By the way, Windshield position is not the issue, its the turbulence behind the shield that really makes the ride uncomfortable
Well Yeah! Of course it's the turbulence behind the windshield that is the problem. That's where your head is! ;)

The windshield is what causes the turbulence in the first place. The windshield causes a higher pressure area in front of it, and a low pressure area behind it. The taller the windshield, the greater the low pressure area is behind the windshield, and the greater the turbulence. Turbulence is the result of the pressure trying to equalize itself.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Each to their own, but I like this one. It is a Cee Baily summer sport shield.

What I really like about it is in heavy rain it tends to set up a perfect air flow and combined with a flip face or full face helmet the water just blows right off the helmet face shield. You can see good.

I rode through Alabama all the way to Texas in heavy rain, I thought it was never going to stop raining.

There is a more steady air flow, and the faster you go the more steady the air flow becomes. At slower speeds there is a bit of buffeting, but not bad and for sure not like a tall shield.

Another thing that smoothed out the air flow for me was the handle bar risers. It seems by pulling the bars back and moving the air flow that way it also smoothed out the air flow. So factors other than the shield can play into things too.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 87 Posts