GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The below chart was designed for cyclists. Note that riding 30 degrees plus is safe as long as properly clothed.

Interesting that at 100 degrees, more speed increases heat. He makes references to it in his intro.

http://www.xs11.com/tips/riding/ride4.shtml

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
NOW you post that table! Where were you when I was running those numbers through my head on my recent trip from the Frozen North?

If I'd known the wind chill was that bad I would have just given up.

Icedtuna.....having nightmares of ice cubes! :shock:

·
Registered
343 Posts
wind chill

http://www.ncvulcan.org/

go to the above site and at the top of the page click on wind chill and it will take you to a automatic calculator.

Buck

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I copied and pasted this to MW and then deleted what I did not want and made copies for my riding buddies here. We were discussing this exact thing last week over coffee (while we were warming up) :lol: :lol:

If we were to ride right now the chill factor for us at 55 MPH would be about -40 deg.. Now way.......LOLOL

Ross

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks for posting. That's pretty cool. Or in todays case, cold. :lol:

·
Love The DCT
12,109 Posts
WhiskeryGoofey:

It looks like that chart uses the old wind chill formula. The old wind chill formula was replaced in 2001 with this one:

Wind chill temperature = 35.74 + 0.6215T - 35.75V (**0.16) + 0.4275TV(**0.16)

In the formula, V is in the wind speed in statute miles per hour, and T is the temperature in degrees Fahrenheit. Wind speeds used in the new formula are from winds 5 feet above the ground. The old formula used wind measured at 33 feet, the official height used in weather observations. At 5 degrees with a 30-mph wind, the old formula would calculate a wind chill of minus 40 degrees. The new formulas says the chill would be minus 19 degrees.

The new formula for winds in mph and Fahrenheit temperatures is:

Wind chill temperature = 35.74 + 0.6215T - 35.75V (**0.16) + 0.4275TV(**0.16)

In the formula, V is in the wind speed in statute miles per hour, and T is the temperature in degrees Fahrenheit.

Note: In the formula, ** means the following term is an exponent (i.e. 10**(0.5 ) means 10 to the 0.5 power, or the square root of V), - means to subtract, + means to add. A letter next to a number means to multiply that quantity represented by the letter by the number. The standard rules of algebra apply.

For reference, the old wind chill formula was:

T(wc) = 0.0817(3.71V**0.5 + 5.81 -0.25V)(T - 91.4) + 91.4

Source for both formulas: The National Weather Service

·
Love The DCT
12,109 Posts
Vetteman:

It looks like that wind chill calculator you posted the link to uses the old wind chill formula.

·
Love The DCT
12,109 Posts
Sid:

The data is based on how long it takes exposed skin to freeze in cold winter weather. Volunteers dressed in winter clothing with only their faces exposed sat in a wind tunnel for up to 45 minutes at a time.

Here is a link to the research that was done in Canada. It makes for some very good reading on windchill.

http://www.msc.ec.gc.ca/education/windc ... 003_e.html

·
Registered
902 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Interesting,but doesn't take into account humidity.
45 dgs. in dry weather feels a whole lot warmer than in damp air.
Also I've found when riding in desert temps,100+,that a light jkt or long sleeved tee shirts make me feel cooler than short sleeves.
Also seems to me that the higher the wind speed in hot weather, the hotter i feel.
For me the most tiring weather to ride in is hot,90+, & hi,90+,humidity.
We have a lot of that here in the S/E/ in July-Aug... :lol:
Oh yeah. IMO 8dgs + or - is a BIG difference to me.
stay safe,
the hobo

·
Registered
158 Posts
I created a spreadsheet using the update equation. I tested a couple of numbers and they match the National Weather Service's calculator. Here's a screen snap:

The updated numbers confirm your suspicions about riding in hot weather. Increased wind actually makes it feel warmer.

The image resolution isn't the best, I'll work on improving it.

Edit: I've increased the font to make it more readable.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
That's interesting - I didn't know about the temp increases in the heat.

I rode for a while yesterday when it was between 28 and 32 degrees going 75+ MPH. Testing out the Gerbing's clothing - it passed. :D 8) I think it could be quite a bit colder out and the heated clothing would work fine. I just don't know for sure about my face. When it get's colder I'll test some more. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts