GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
At work last night, around 8:30 PM, boss walks into my office and says my bike is laying on its side. We ran out, picked it up and I noticed the damage right away. Busted off my Rivco peg, broke my upper deflector, scratched the mirror housing and really scratched up my saddlebag lid. I figured there would be more damage than there was. Didn't even crack the mirror... My bike was the only vehicle in the parking lot & the wind caught it just right & tipped it right over. Lesson learned, use the center stand if there are winds predicted.

Ride safe,
Pikester

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I’m glad I didn’t have the Corbin lid, there probably would have been a lot more damage to it.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Those guards on the new wing are my biggest disappointment. They are almost as worthless as the helmet holder. :no:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Lesson learned, use the center stand if there are winds predicted.
Very sorry to see that. Hopefully a fluke never to happen again. :serious:

I don't think having it on the center stand would have helped. Rather I think it might have been more prone to tip-over on the center stand. The side stand provides three spaced out ground contact points. The center stand really provides only two, stand and front wheel. I haven't looked at the manual in a while, but I thought it recommends side stand for parking. The center stand is used for servicing the bike.

Hope the insurance process goes well.

·
15 year Member
6,897 Posts
Someone out there MAY have bought the Corbin saddlebag, if so he’s got what you need right on a shelf in his garage.... post in the WTB section you may luck out...

Mattbcnv

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Someone out there MAY have bought the Corbin saddlebag, if so he’s got what you need right on a shelf in his garage.... post in the WTB section you may luck out...

Mattbcnv
Matt,

I was thinking the same thing! Gonna post it now,

Thanks,
Pikester

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If you were parked on a flat surface I cannot imagine any amount of wind short of a Hurricane blowing over this Wing. There is a lot of weight on that footprint. Ive had a bike blown over in front of me, but it was a RT1200 and stood far more straight up.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I agree about checking the security footage. Do you have any enemies? For the bike to receive a wind from its left enough to lift it up off the kickstand and then past centerline of mass and then over to the right and do that with enough force to actually put the bike past the tipover bars (which btw I disagree with a previous poster about "useless" tipover bars. The OEM tipover bars absolutely work to protect all plastic including side bags and mirrors and a "normal" parking lot drop)....is unbelievable to me. That would have to be one helluva wind and exactly broadside to the bike.

Are you sure you weren't vandalized???

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No security cameras and the only person at work besides me was my boss, and he wouldn’t do anything like that. We did get an alert on base about high winds, but I figured it wouldn’t be an issue. Not sure if this matters, but I normally park facing east-west, last night I was the only vehicle in the lot when I arrived and I parked the bike north-south. I know in the past, one of the sites on base reported canyon winds in excess of 90 mph..... Regardless of what happened, my ex mother-in-law always said, it’s not arms & legs, we can fix it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I live in SE IL and we will get all kinds of weather in the area, in between tornadoes. We will occasionally get high winds, called "flat line (lying?) bursts or gusts" that are apparently low on the ground and powerful in shorts bursts of wind. It'll knock down a large pole-barn "shed" or other rural building in one swoop. Very localized events, but can be very damaging. Certainly strong enough to knock over a Wing if parked broadside to it. You live in a different area, of course, but you mentioned the canyon winds that made me think of the above. You don't seem too convinced you were vandalized, so just wanted to pose another scenario.

·
Vendor
22,067 Posts
It's not all that uncommon, especially if the bike had a cover on it, which makes it act like a sail. If the wind comes from the left and the bike is on the sidestand it's more likely to happen. The centerstand puts the two tangs further out from the centerline of the bike with one on each side, and this will make it more stable in wind, especially if you don't know which direction the wind may come from. If you know the direction of the wind, then you can park it on the sidestand with the right side facing into the wind.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Using the center stand will give you less protection from a tip-over that the side stand. Once when I was parking under heavy wind conditions, I checked any flags around to get the wind direction. I then faced the bike to where the wind would blow the bike toward the side stand, and not off of it. Wind directions can change, though, so tough call. Only thing I know to do would be to park bike next to something to either break the wind or catch the bike should it start to tip over. Might have some slight damage, but not near as much as from a tip over fall.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Wow, so sad to hear about this and the subsequent damages. I hope your insurance can and will cover it? Have you thought about how you can prevent this if it was naturally caused? Leaning the bike a bit more on the side stand maybe? Can you park it somewhere else more sheltered?
Please let us know what you do to prevent it from happening again, we can all learn and use your findings.

·
15 year Member
6,897 Posts
Plus if you didn’t set the parking brake a got gust of wind could catch the windscreen and push it forward enough so the side stand just folds up....more likely than a side wind knock over

Mattbcnv

·
Registered
618 Posts
I scratched my right bag and last night I put a post on the 2018 & 2019 Goldwing forum on Facebook and in 10 minutes there was a guy that had one and sent it out today for $100 including shipping. There are some great people out there that will help out.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Is that a gravel parking lot or it just a rough surface? Maybe a kick stand pad would of helped, but very strong winds maybe not.
I had a ferry crutch (remember them) for my 2008 Goldwing when I went on trips and used a full cover, it saved my bike from a tip over during a violent storm in the middle of the night. No more covers.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Those guards on the new wing are my biggest disappointment. They are almost as worthless as the helmet holder.
Yes, almost. The non-existent "helmet holder".

1 - 20 of 50 Posts