GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about the Wing's performance in strong crosswinds with all those fairings. I've been riding my VTX 1800RS for over 3 years here in the high plains of New Mexico. On one occasion I 've ridden in constant 60mph crosswinds with 70mph gusts for almost 4 hours straight. No easy task for a little guy like me (5'9 @ 160lbs) but, i survived. On a more constant basis (every spring for several days) 40-50mph crosswinds are encountered. I ride to & from work almost everyday of the year. Springtime is rough on windspeeds but, i cruise right along. Wonder if i'd be alright on the Wing?

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Likely not. Sounds like you are in love with the current ride. Thats why most of us that ride wings never take them out of the DQ parking lot in winds of over 5 knots, a forcast of rain, and NEVER more than 15 minutes per ride or over 45 MPH. Those fairings just take all the pleasure out of riding, and all that plastic makes them handle like a slug.

Suggest you do not try one, unless you have about 20 grand burning a hole in your pocket.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I live right south of you in Plains, Tx. The Wing is not a whole lot worse to ride in wind than any bike. It is bothersome but you get used to it. It makes up for that negative in lots of other ways.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
IR Harry said:
Likely not. Sounds like you are in love with the current ride. Thats why most of us that ride wings never take them out of the DQ parking lot in winds of over 5 knots, a forcast of rain, and NEVER more than 15 minutes per ride or over 45 MPH. Those fairings just take all the pleasure out of riding, and all that plastic makes them handle like a slug.

Suggest you do not try one, unless you have about 20 grand burning a hole in your pocket.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Harry, you just think you can be like this
because it's so long till Christmas again.
You gotta be good all year Harry "ALL" year. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
IR Harry said:

Harry,I think I said this in another thread....I think you're full o sh!t :p

·
Registered
57 Posts
Having gone from MN to Yellowstone this summer and dealing with crosswinds most of the trip in my opinion the GW is terrible in crosswinds. I love this bike but my major complaint is the crosswind issue. Again, I love this bike but ....

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
After riding my Wing for a few years in cross winds and passing and meeting semis on two lane highways I can now make a comparison. I now ride a 1500 Vulcan Nomad as well. I can tell you one thing for sure. The Nomad handles cross-winds and semis a whole lot better than a GL1800. I do not have a belly pan on the Vulcan either :wink: :wink:

JMHO from riding both.

Ross

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
MNwing said:
Having gone from MN to Yellowstone this summer and dealing with crosswinds most of the trip in my opinion the GW is terrible in crosswinds. I love this bike but my major complaint is the crosswind issue. Again, I love this bike but ....
...I wondered if others thought this and agree that the Wing has Wings sometimes. That's a lot of profile with all the plastic and little open space so I'm assuming it's not a "honda" problem rather a "bike style" problem. I still wouldn't trade the bike for anything but there have been some scary moments. Had to high-tail it back to Chicago from out west on a trip (needed to get back to go to work) and we were on the superslab and with the cross wind and trucks I was puckered for a day and a half....

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
5Ross said:
After riding my Wing for a few years in cross winds and passing and meeting semis on two lane highways I can now make a comparison. I now ride a 1500 Vulcan Nomad as well. I can tell you one thing for sure. The Nomad handles cross-winds and semis a whole lot better than a GL1800. I do not have a belly pan on the Vulcan either :wink: :wink:

JHHO from riding both.

Ross
Ross is right. I love my Wing, but my Roadliner handles wind waaaaay
better. What would you expect though? The Wing has a HUGE cross
section. It WILL catch the wind much more than a bike with a smaller
cross section... not rocket science.
NOBRAKES... we get a lot of wind here in Colorado too and I've made
trips to Santa Fe in the spring with the kind of winds you're talking about.
I won't tell you it's always "fun", but you can do it. I think, in most cases,
riding in the wind is more about technique than brute strength. I love my
Roadliner, but I still think the Wing is the best long distance bike on the
planet. Good luck!

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
nobrakes said:
I'm curious about the Wing's performance in strong crosswinds with all those fairings. I've been riding my VTX 1800RS for over 3 years here in the high plains of New Mexico. On one occasion I 've ridden in constant 60mph crosswinds with 70mph gusts for almost 4 hours straight. No easy task for a little guy like me (5'9 @ 160lbs) but, i survived. On a more constant basis (every spring for several days) 40-50mph crosswinds are encountered. I ride to & from work almost everyday of the year. Springtime is rough on windspeeds but, i cruise right along. Wonder if i'd be alright on the Wing?
Dude, she catches more wind than a mainsail. Major pucker enhancer!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Going from Az to Riverside in Cal. by White Water is a very high wind area, been though in a pickup and went from 75 to 50 in less than 1/4 mile and had to drop one gear to keep 50. I went though on the bike and was glad they had three lanes, felt like the rearend was going to pass me, a HD cruiser passed me and he didn't even know the wind was blowing. It can be a handful in cross winds.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Maybe I'm just used to it... but she just leans into the wind for me, just like my ST1300 did :wink: Seems to handle dirty air the same too :wink:

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
If you can handle your other bike, the Wing will be no problem. Each bike has its own characteristics. The Wing is heavy which makes up for its crossection a little.

Riding in strong crosswinds sucks no matter what you are riding, but don't let it keep you from a great machine like the Wing.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
When I first moved to Ridgecrest and test drove motorcycles with the wife, I went on a triagular route, one of which had a direct cross wind, and it was really blowing that day. I first tried out the Honda Pacific Coast, and it really heeled over when struck with wind blasts from that side. Once we got back to the shop, my wife said "I'm done. I am not riding again today. That wind is just too nasty"! We had first agreed that we wanted to see how both the Pacific Coast and the Gold Wing handled, so it took a long debate before I convinced her to go on another test ride, this time on the Gold Wing.

When we took the Wing on the same route, the wind was blowing from the same direction and basically gusting at the same speed as before. But this time the Wing heeled into the wind about half as much as the Pacific Coast. The wife then stated "WE ARE GETTING THE GOLD WING"! Cool! Throw me in that briar patch! We ended up paying $10,500 out the door for the 1989 GL-1500, rode it 152,000miles, and sold it 14 years later for $4,000. That ended up being the most cost efficient vehicle I have ever owned in my entire life. What a great bike.

Now both the Pacific Coast and the Wing are fully covered in plastic body works, so you would expect them both to behave poorly in side winds, which they do. But the Pacific Coast was 600cc and much lighter, so the wind had a much greater impact on it than the Wing.

I agree with several of the earlier posts that it is a factor of the bike being fully covered with body panels that make it more suseptable to cross winds. But I also do not think it is a big deal. When the wind gusts from the side, the bike "automatically" leans into the wind and I continue down the road fairly unfazed. I try to stay a little to the upwind side of my lane to account for some bobbling around and things are cool.

I must say that the picture of that tire worn completely out to make a depression on one side while the other had significant tread was really amazing. All that done in 300 miles! Wow. Thanks for the picture.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Rastoff said:
If you can handle your other bike, the Wing will be no problem. Each bike has its own characteristics. The Wing is heavy which makes up for its crossection a little.

Riding in strong crosswinds sucks no matter what you are riding, but don't let it keep you from a great machine like the Wing.
I agree with Rastoff. He and I used to share the roads in one of the windiest areas of the country. If you didn't learn how to ride in the wind, you weren't going to ride there. Like any other skill, you get better with practice.

I've ridden with a few VTX riders in that wind. They were being pushed all over the road while I kept in a straight line.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I've had my Wing in some pretty strong cross winds - I'd guess that the gusts were in the 45-50 mph range - and it's not too bad. LIke most other factors that toy with your ride, don't tense up, go with the flow, and the bike will go where you point it. You just get to lean a bit, and pretend you're corniering when you're not. I can tell you this for sure: It's a whole lot easier than handleing a 30+ foot motorhome in similar conditions!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I've only owned my 03 for a year and a half, but have ridden in some pretty strong winds (don't really know the windspeed) in that 30K miles. I have no complaints at all! Darn site better than my Ultra with its batwing fairing, better than a Harley Lowrider, and lots better than a chop with a 14 over front end! Maybe I'll hit a wind tomorrow that will change my mind, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the replies. So far (this is my first post here) I Love this Wing board as i do the VTX boardboard. It has everything you need i.e.
1) A couple of @$$ Clowns like IR Harry & Dreamcatcher (good stuff!) ........ Special relationship going on there. :)
2) Some serious folks with valid opinions and a variety of experiences.
3) Subject Pictures (the tire). Seen close to that before but, not quite that bad. Good Pic!

Arn Butt Bill: Come on out here in Mid March to Mid April and you'll be able to experience riding these hurricane force wind gusts. An unforgettable experience.

I've weighed in on all your commments and I'm not really worried.
Now I just have to find the right deal on a Wing (local dealer is working with me). Look forward to being a part of this forum. Thanks Fellas!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts