GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Gals,

I have been watching for my complaint, but only see wind buffeting the operator and passenger. My problem is, the wind is pushing my GL1800 almost into the next lane! It is much more pronounced than on my previous BMW R1100RT. Also, the wind causes the front end to shake at speeds above 35 mph, at times. Note; no wind, no shake. I have an '04, white, with ABS. This problem is present riding one or two-up, and is worst with a cross wind or heading into a quartering wind!! Oh, standard windshield with vent, and 1300 miles....Bike Week at Daytona was great!

Any Ideas? Thanx....RJ

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The best fix for this is Summer. The wind dies and it just gets hot. But, that is another problem.

Some have claimed a belly pan helps. I have not tried this myself. After a while your reactions will compensate faster. I rode Sunday with strong gusty crosswinds. Most gusts came from the left but a few reversed direction. This got exciting.

You indicate you are an experienced rider. I'll play the concerned dad for safety's sake. Do you lean or countersteer your bike? I ask because in a recent ride with a new Winger I asked this question. His reply was that he leaned the bike. I instructed him on countersteering. He would have had great difficuly on the Sunday ride leaning the bike.

Welcome to the Wing community.

Almost forgot: I strongly suggest taking the MSF Experienced Rider Course. Your free HRCA membership will pay $75 dollars of the cost.

B

·
0 Posts
Wind Problems!

RJ
My first ride after my 02 purchase, I had the same problem. Turned out the dealer did not put enough air in the tires. I have learned that I have the best luck running about 44PSI front and back. The wind, trucks, and groves in the highway do not bother me near as much.

Hope This Helps ~Richard

·
Registered
596 Posts
My '02 is probably the best bike I've ever ridden in the wind, and it's my 22nd bike.

For a bike its size, it's a very quick handling bike; maybe it just reacts more quickly to side winds and those of us accustomed to the bike react more quickly.

I suspect that as you get more accustomed to the bike, it'll improve.

·
Registered
67 Posts
lean

rigreen do you have wind deflectors on your bike? If so what kind?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Elchino;

No mods of any kind yet...no wind deflectors. Will they help correct this wind pushing me around problem or make it worse? Do you recommend the Baker mirror wings?? Or whatever they re called that attach under the mirrors?

rj

G

·
0 Posts
just like with cars the wind effects handeling. Passing semis and cross winds have to be dealt with by using a counter steer. Sometimes I can find a sweet spot by riding in another vehicles "wake" while not following too closely. All sorts of dynamics goin on with traffic, and winds. :shock:

·
Chard Member
13,055 Posts
rjgreen.....You are riding a huge plastic sail. Keep your tires inflated and get used to it!

Wings have handled wind bad since the introduction of the 1500 in '87. There is no place for the wind to blow through the bike, so the bike moves! :(

I rode 420 miles last Sat in the high winds we had. I was up north in timber country. I was okay when riding in the woods, but as soon as I got into a clearing I had to be ready for the bike to jump. It's something I don't pay any special attention to. I'm just aware of it.

Good Luck......

·
Registered
67 Posts
rigreen since you do not have any wind deflectors thats not your problem and I doubt that any will. I have a Tulsa Belly Pan and that helps in the crosswinds. Could be what others have said about your tire pressure and more riding miles.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I am also bothered by any kind of crosswind, anything over 20 mph is a nusiance. My bike originally had the Honda fairing winglets and they were terrible in the wind. I presently have some air wings similar to the Bakers. I don't recommend the type like the Showchrome as they appear to be in a fixed position. I have a Tulsa belly pan, I couldn't tell any difference in handling.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wind effect on Newbie

RJ, I am the Black 1800A who chatted with you on the way south from Daytona Bike Week. We live and ride in the same beach weather patterns here in south Florida. I don't have that problem at all. I keep my tires at 41 psi. I do not have a belly pan or wind deflectors and have a stock windshield. I do countersteer constantly. I just rode the 280 mile round trip to Daytona with no problem at 80mph+ on I-95 and then along A1A. I think this 1800 is as stable as any of the other 5 Gold wings that I've had, so I don't know what the problem may be except to just keep riding until you figure it out. With your experience you will solve it. Next week my extra tall Tulsa windscreen, wind deflectors and belly pan will get installed and I'll let you know if it changes anything. Email me if anything changes.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wind effect on Newbie

RJ, I am the Black 1800A who chatted with you on the way south from Daytona Bike Week. We live and ride in the same beach weather patterns here in south Florida. I don't have that problem at all. I keep my tires at 41 psi. I do not have a belly pan or wind deflectors and have a stock windshield. I do countersteer constantly. I just rode the 280 mile round trip to Daytona with no problem at 80mph+ on I-95 and then along A1A. I think this 1800 is as stable as any of the other 5 Gold wings that I've had, so I don't know what the problem may be except to just keep riding until you figure it out. With your experience you will solve it. Next week my extra tall Tulsa windscreen, wind deflectors and belly pan will get installed and I'll let you know if it changes anything. Email me if anything changes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I also have the tulsa bellypan. Could tell no difference in the wind. Bought it to protect the coolant overflow.ENJOY your new plastic sail. John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts