GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very serious about purchasing a Wing this year but I have one major concern - buffeting. I’ve read a lot of the threads on wind management and have tried to put it all together. The measures that are successful seem to be somewhat related to the size of the rider. I’m looking for input from Wing riders my size (5’9” with a 30” inseam) as to their ability to eliminate buffeting.

Due to ear issues I am not very tolerant of buffeting especially, on long, multi-day trips. It really aggravates my tinnitus. (On my cruiser I have a windshield and wear ear plugs under a full face helmet.) I understand that mirror wings help to eliminate some of the Wing’s inherent buffeting. I also know I can raise the windshield up. I didn’t like the huge swept back windshields (Talusa?) when I rode a friend’s Wing so that is not an option for me. Do the Honda windshield extensions help?

How successful have you ladies and gents who are my size been at eliminating buffeting? What has done the trick?

TIA,
Hector Bravo

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Hector;

First of all, you are on a motorcycle so you are going to get buffeted by wind. It is something you have to live with. I am 5’ 10” with a 32” inseam. All I have are mirror and crash guard deflectors and find they help but do not eliminate the buffeting.
Having said that, there are some things you can do to help cut down on the buffeting.

I am not going to mention brand names or places to buy these add-on’s because there a multitude of names and places.

Air deflectors that mount under the mirrors.
Air deflectors that mount along the sides of the cowling.
Air deflectors that mount on the front of the engine crash guards.
Air deflectors that mount to the sides of the windshield.
Oversize windshields that are taller and / or wider than stock. (you said you didn’t like the taller ones)

Any deflector you put on the bike will help, but nothing is going to eliminate all the wind.
I do think that you will have significantly less of a problem with an 1800 GoldWing than you have with your cruiser but the wing is not a convertible car.

My guess is that you will be able to eliminate your ear plugs without any add-on wind deflectors.

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Hector,

Like you I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. It's been my experience that most of the wind buffeting is to the passenger as opposed to the rider. In my case, I installed the Baker Air and Mirror Wings. I did opt for the taller Windshield but, the Bakers eliminated 99% of the unwanted air. Most hwy noise can be contollled by the type (or brand) of helmet. No one helmet will work for everyone. That's a matter of personal perference (or head shape).

Hope this helps. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
HBravo said:
Due to ear issues I am not very tolerant of buffeting especially, on long, multi-day trips. It really aggravates my tinnitus. (On my cruiser I have a windshield and wear ear plugs under a full face helmet.)
The variable for you that is the killer is the tinnitus. My sister has severe tinnitus and can only ride with me for local runs. Any more than that and she is clicking/ringing for days.

The Wing really isn't that good at wind management. I have no issue with it as I use the wind for input when I'm getting agressive. But for someone with tinnitus there are other things you could possible do to ease the problem. Wear a full face helmet that fits perfectly (snug enough so that when you push it back and forth on your head, your scalp moves with it) and is quiet, ear plugs, and smooth the airflow a bit with Tulsa miror wings. At 6'0" with a 34" inseam I've found that the stock windshield all the way down with the vent closed gives me the smoothest air.... I get wind but the turbulence is minimized.

But truth be told, understanding the nightmare of tinnitus as I do thanks to my sister, I would not consider the Wing to be the best bike for wind management.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
I have very mild tinnitus, and have found to my surprise that a 3/4 helmet is MUCH better than a full-coverage or modular helmet. (I have all three styles.) I have had a GL1000 with Shadow (like a Vetter) fairing, a GL1200 SE-i, and now the GL1800. The 3/4 was best with each of them. I would wear the modular year-round for safety if not for the low frequency poping from the buffeting that I get with it and the full. I wear them in cold weather, but when I ride further in warmer weather I will go back to the 3/4, even though I prefer the extra coverage for safety. I seldom wear earplugs, although I might try again this summer (they make me itch, usually).

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies.

George - I've read about many of your suggestions but not the tunnel fillers. That is a new one to me. What are they?

I don't mind air on a bike. That and the lean make it all fun. : wink: Due to my tinitus, the "booming" I get in my helmet is what really bothers me.

Alabama & WPOSBL - your posts give me some hope. Both the personal experience and the article were interesting.

Dorian - I don't like your post. :wink: but I appreciate your honest assessment. I really hope I can make the Wing work for me, as I've wanted one since I took my first ride in '01. I'm sorry to hear of your sister's Tinitus. It does have a major impact on many aspects of day-to-day life. It is interesting that you get the smoothest air with the windshield down and the vent closed. I guess that proves the benefit of experimentation.

PIDJONES - most of the guys I ride with think I'm crazy because I have found the booming from my full and modular lids to be worse than with a 3/4 helmet, too. Then again, most of the cruiser guys I know don't wear full-face helmets anyway. I won't ride with anything other than a full face/modular. I had a close encounter with a deer a few years ago. The deer and the bike were DOA. I walked away intact in part due to my full-face lid. Thanks for the replies.

Hector

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have tinnitus and don't find it to be an issue on the Wing. I have a Scorpion full face helmet, but I usually have the shield up one or two clicks. I find it quieter when I do that. On a recent long distance trip on deserted roads I discovered that the primary cause of buffeting comes from other vehicles' wake turbulence. In calm air on country roads there was no buffeting at 50 to 80 mph.

One way to deal with freeway buffeting effecting your ears is to raise the windshied when you are in those conditions. Normally, I look over it, but if I have a long stretch in freeway traffic, I move it up enough to deflect the wind over the top of my helmet. At your height, you should easily be able to do this with an OEM windshield.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Wind Management or the lack of, is probably the biggest issue I have with my fairly new '06 GL1800. It seems that no matter what I do with the windshield, I get a lot of buffeting from what seems like from behind around the back of the head and shoulders.

That is something I'm going to have to learn to deal with because I will not drill any hole anywhere to mount wind deflectors.

I've already added the Tulsa mirror wind deflectors and it seem to help a little but not much. They only seem to keep the cold wind off of my hands.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cosmic - I know it is a motorcycle; I've been riding one for more years than I like to admit! :) My question was addressing the buffeting that seems to be a common issue with Wings and how much success people my size have had addressing it. Thanks.

DDKING - a guy could get dizzy looking at the windshield options available for the Wing! I hope it does not come to that.

Kikker - I'm not a huge fan of the appearance of the Baker side wings although I think the mirror wings are fairly unobtrusive. If I go with the Wing and they made "the" difference in buffeting, I would put them on in a heart beat.

Gpick - If putting the windshield up notch or two high will do the trick I'll consider myself OK. It just seems that some to not get relief from buffeting even with the windshield set at maximum height. I guess being on the shorter side of the spectrum might work in my favor.

Thanks to all for the replies. I hope to be a "real" member of the crowd before too long.

Hector

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Hector;
"Tunnel Fillers" are pieces of foam that are cut to fit between the forks and the dash. They are sized to sit there by themself's with no mounting or attachment devices.
They keep wind, rain, road dirt and dust from coming up through that area.
If you do a search on this forum you will find lots of comments on them.
I made my own, but they are out there for sale.
I put them in two years ago and wouldnt be without them.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, George.
Hector

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
R.K. MA.3 George said:
Hector;
"Tunnel Fillers" are pieces of foam that are cut to fit between the forks and the dash. They are sized to sit there by themself's with no mounting or attachment devices.
They keep wind, rain, road dirt and dust from coming up through that area.
If you do a search on this forum you will find lots of comments on them.
I made my own, but they are out there for sale.
I put them in two years ago and wouldnt be without them.
You know George,
I put those things in my 02 way back in....02,
and they just sat there all that time.
Then, I took the new 07 for 100 mile ride
right from picking it up from the dealer.
I came home and stuffed those Fillers in the new 07.
I think I'll just let them sit there for a few years on this one too.
DC

·
Registered
297 Posts
wind

Motorcycles and wind go together, as I see it you have two choices; throw a leg across and enjoy it, or close the door and roll up the window.

·
Registered
216 Posts
You can spend a fortune on all the various options mentioned. My opinion is that the least cost / maximum benefit is to go with the under mirror wings and a well-fitted helmet. All of the other items will give incremental improvements.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts