GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feed Back Needed.........Does the J & M Wind Noise Filter work.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
FOOT said:
Yes, it works great. But most folks who install it think it's supposed to filter out wind noise ('cause that's what the name implies), so they're disappointed with it. All it was designed to do is keep wind gusts from muting your radio without the need to adjust the muting control up so high that your co-rider has to yell into the mic. It does that just fine, but you'll still hear wind noise.

Stu

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
It is supposed to be a noise filter - taking out the electronic buzzing on the intercoms of the older bikes. No, it does not work. I gave one away because it did nothing. I think Electrical Connection makes one, can't tell you if they work, and Jon of Cycle Gadgets used to make one that does work. But that J&M isn't even worth the time it takes to take the seat off.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
IR Harry said:
It is supposed to be a noise filter - taking out the electronic buzzing on the intercoms of the older bikes. No, it does not work. I gave one away because it did nothing.
Harry, this guy's asking about J&M's wind noise filter for GL1800. What you're slamming here is the capacitor pack that J&M once sold to get the alternator buzz out of the four-cylinder Wings. That product hasn't been on the market in years (you're right; it didn't work).

Stu

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Stu - no, it is not the old one I am talking about - and your right, that did not work either. I am referring to this thing right here that J&M brought out in for the 1800.

This is their claim:
This is a passive electronic low frequency wind noise filter for the passenger position on the Honda GL-1800.

In addition to reducing the actual wind noise that is heard thru the intercom system, this filter also helps the music mute sensitivity circuit to work better, making it easier to find a control position where the wind and background noise will not mute the music but voice frequencies will.

Installation is a snap as this filter plugs in series with the passengers headset lead under the back of the seat.
I got one of them, and they did absolutely nothing for any audio reduction - only thing they did was make the wire longer.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I installed an on/off switch in line with the passengers mic. When the wind noise gets to me I have her turn her mic off. She can still hear me, I cannot hear the wind noise from her mic. It's a win , win situation......... :)

http://www.airrider.com/store/product.php?id=506

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have a set od ED Sets,and hte noise from my riders mike is driving me crazy.I have to have it up so I can hear her,but the wind noise takes away for the enjoyment of the ride.Any solutions other than cutting her off? We like to talk as we ride.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Mike L said:
I installed an on/off switch in line with the passengers mic. When the wind noise gets to me I have her turn her mic off. She can still hear me, I cannot hear the wind noise from her mic. It's a win , win situation......... :)

http://www.airrider.com/store/product.php?id=506
Mike,
Thanks for the link, that looks like the best, easiest and cheapest solution I have seen yet. I just placed an order! :wink:

·
Registered
757 Posts
DrtiBird.....If it's not to late to cancell your order I have the same unit
( I bought it 9/18/06, installed it yesterday ) works great, but the SO thinks it's too much trouble to push the switch everytime she wants to talk. 1/2 of retail will get it to you......E.E.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have one similar to Mike L but mine is 'push to talk'. With mine the mic for the rear passenger is off ALL the time until they hold down the button to talk. Then when you let go, it is off again. Mikes is push once and it is off... push again and it is on. Either choice has no effect on the drivers mic (it is still hot all the time) but there is not much buffeting behind the windshield. Also if the passenger talks while you are talking on the CB, their voice will be heard.

Here is mine. I velcro'd and zip tied it to the left handle next to the seat:

http://www.airrider.com/store/product.p ... rue&id=328

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Eagle Eye said:
DrtiBird.....If it's not to late to cancell your order I have the same unit
( I bought it 9/18/06, installed it yesterday ) works great, but the SO thinks it's too much trouble to push the switch everytime she wants to talk. 1/2 of retail will get it to you......E.E.
Thanks EE, but it was ordered via Internet so I'll let it go through. It is a good idea though and someone else will prob take you up on the offer. :wink:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Like Stu said, the J&M works not so much by stopping wind noise,(although mine did some,) but by not allowing the wind to mute everything out. Had one on the passenger cord, worked well, but the drivers cord should of had one too. Contacted J&M and they said I probably needed a second one. (never got around to it) Is it worth the cost to buy 2 of them. ???? Not sure

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Same story here, so I had two. No workee. Gave one away, and sold one for the postage with a guarentee that it would not help. Their reply was for $5, it was worth a try.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Have any of you tried mike-mutes. They enable you or your passenger to turn both microphones of and on with either push to talk buttons. Have had mine for a couple of yease and it works flawlessly.

Buck in NE Arkansas

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
IR Harry said:
Stu - no, it is not the old one I am talking about - and your right, that did not work either. I am referring to this thing right here that J&M brought out in for the 1800. I got one of them, and they did absolutely nothing for any audio reduction - only thing they did was make the wire longer.
Okay, Harry. I could have sworn you answered
It is supposed to be a noise filter - taking out the electronic buzzing on the intercoms of the older bikes
so perhaps you'll forgive my rash assumption that you were referring to the unit that was supposed to eliminate the buzzing from the intercom of the older bikes. :roll:

Stu

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
You are right, Stu - that's what I answered. And I was thinking about the noise I was getting in the bike - mine is an 01 that had the noise from the wiring (that was changed in a service bulletin), and also has the wind noise in the mics - both front and back. Never got the wind part taken care of, so put in a rear seat mic switch, but did get the electric noise taken care of - partially with a change in wiring, mostly with Jons filter.

So, you are right - a mind is a terrible thing to waste....and its the second thing to go. Can't remember what was first....... :?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts