GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently swapped my '05 Ultra in for an '07 Wing. We noticed excessive wind noise in the headsets.
1. using a tip from Edsets website, we put the finger of a latex exam glove over the mic., then put the foam boot on, then used a small wire tie to keep it all secure on the boom.
2. The rubber boot that encloses the wires at one of the speakers in my wifes headset had slipped out of the speaker housing.

Between the two above, I think we got the noise pretty much eliminated.
-EDITED-
Well, that fix wasnt as good as I first thought it would be.
Ended up getting some J&M Headsets yesterday and first learned of the mic mutes while at the store. Do you use them on both, or just the passenger?
May also get the filter as well.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Have you considered Mic-Mutes. It will eliminate all of the wind noise from both mics. Have had mine for over two years and love them. The best addtion I have made to my wing.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I agree 100% with arkie.

Ride Safe
Ken

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ended up getting some J&M Headsets yesterday and first learned of the mic mutes while at the store. Do you use them on both, or just the passenger?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
The filter doesnt work. I installed and inline on/off switch for the passenger. Hence her mic can be turned off with an on/off switch, but yet she can still hear me if there's an emerg. The only time I have her shut it off is during a severe crosswind. Sometimes it "Can" be a good thing.......LOL

http://www.airrider.com/store/product.php?id=506

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
wingsling said:
Mic Mutes will control both. The CB PTT switch controls them. You can also get the passenger PTT button if you wish the passenger to have that capability.

http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/store ... =956113435

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I went the on-off switch, she can touch it lightly to turn on temp. or click it all the way on for a while, and a round band -aid over the mic for her ed-set, you'd be surprised how good it both works lots cheaper then the mic-mutes , I thought they seemed a little pricey, you really need nothing up front it's just a passenger problem on the wing-------------by the way congrat's on the new 07 wow your gonna like it, as for Me lots of bsa, triumph's and lots of Harley's over the years, now on my 6th wing, the ONLY way to fly

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
thought they seemed a little pricey
upssnowman,

Not so when you understand the differences.

Mic-Mutes:
1) Toggles BOTH mics on/off. Also having the riders mic off does make a big difference. Turning off only the passenger's mic leaves the rider's mic open for wind and road noises.
2) Toggle controlled by BOTH rider and pasenger. In your case you have to ask your passenger to shut off that darn mic !
3) Does not affect the operation of CB radio. The same CB PTT switch that you or your wife hold to talk on the CB will ALWAYS turn on your mics while talking on the CB. In your case it requires 2 seperate switch operations for your wife to talk on the CB.
4) If you have a talking GPS or cellphone interfaced to your intercom, allows you to adjust your intercom volume to listen to your device without the wind and road noises. With a cellphone allows you to toggle on/off as you speak/listen to better hear what your caller is saying. This is a benefit even if you have no passenger.
5) Won't cause induced electrical noises into your intercom because it does not extend the microphone circuit wiring around the bike, such as out to a switch and back.

J

·
0 Posts
No one can tell it better than the inventor but Bill did not say anything about safety.

We use the Mic-Mutes and anytime we do not feel comfortable using the cruise control, i. e. in town, in heavy traffic, where deer and moose cross our paths, we keep them off, (open mics) so I can hear my SO screaming "Dear there's a Deer!" or "car" or "truck" or just "O' God!"

Two weekends ago we took a 900+ trip over three quite windy days without the Mic-Mutes and we missed our Mic-Mutes so much. They are the best investment to make riding a Goldwing in the wind a pleasure.

We finally just turned the I-com off while cruising and the wife had to tap me on the back to get me to turn them on so she could talk. That lasted about 2 hours until we were dodging the first of two deer we encountered along the way. I did not see it and by the time I responded to her taps (which broke 2 ribs) it was way too late.

From that point on we just toughed it out and listened to the wind noise for the next 2.5 days.

Don't listen to this cheap talk! A $20,000+ bike and you won't spend a measley $120 to save your own life because it's "a little pricey", to make it fun to ride, like it really should be? You get more than you pay for in this case and in the long run your SO will love you for it and you will love yourself too.

Also if you ever have a problem with your Mic-Mutes Bill Morphy will give you all the support you need to get going again, I know. My problem was self inflicted not a problem with the Mic-Mutes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
wind noise fix not mic-mutes

I have been sitting on the side on this subject for some time. I have an alternate solution that works very well and it takes away the risks of riding and not being able to hear your co-rider in an emergency situation.
I know there are a lot of fans of the Mic-Mutes & being a nay say-er usually brings on the wrath of bashing. I didn’t have a real life example to show how dangerous they can be, however after reading JNILES (ref. wind noise IC fix) and their encounter with the Deer, I figured it is time to put it out there.

J & M developed a VOX (Voice Activated transmit) module a while back that plugs into the intercom system that lets you adjust the squelch level for the rear mike (and the front mike if you add the additional cable for the front mike connection) so you can block out wind noise at speeds up to and over 80 MPH. It works extremely well. The unit comes with a volume control module that can adjust the gain (volume) level that will let you hear the co-rider at just about any speed. The most significant feature on this unit is in an emergency, with the unit adjusted to the maximum level of rejection for wind noise, the co-rider can still get through by shouting into the mike to be heard. And as everyone knows when that deer or car or truck is approaching the better half is not inclined to whisper that there is car turning into you, if you know what I mean !!!!

The only negative that I have found with the system (and it is a very monor one) is when you slow down or come to a stop and the unit is still adjusted for a high level of background noise, you can not hear the co-rider without her shouting. Now some may say that is a blessing but I am not going there. To fix this either I or she adjust the gain control down and everything is normal.

The price of the unit was around $150-$170 sorry I can’t be more specific I have had unit for some time now and just don’t remember the price.

I have tried many different alternative systems and microphone units, built several systems using aviation mikes and other electret microphones (spent over $400 in just development parts for mics and amps etc.). The VOX system from J & M is the best one I have been able to find

Give this a try, it could make all the difference between missing that deer instead of hitting him because you couldn't hear her warning!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AZCruiser, can you provide a part number or exact description of this?
Thank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts