GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both the wife and I wear 3/4 helmets. At 60 mph + the wind noise generated in the intercom system is not acceptable. I have played with the "Intercome Mute" and see little difference. Played with the intercom volume and also little difference. Picking up wind noise mostly in cross wind situations, as I have Baker hand deflectors and Laminar Flow windshield foil. I am using the genuine J&M el cheapo head set / microphone (i.e. $120 for both). Other than using a full face or modular (fold up/down) Any suggestions?

·
Vendor
21,563 Posts
You need a set of Mic Mutes. They allow you to shut off the mics when you aren't talking, via the PTT CB switch. I have been using them since 2002, and wouldn't ride without them. They are the single best thing ever made for the GL1800's intercom system.

http://mic-mutes.com/

·
Registered
460 Posts
What Fred said...

I agree with Fred 100%!

Mike Mutes IS the best thing to add to the intercom system! Installation is easy, and once you try it, you won't believe how you ever got along without it!

Best $$$ I ever spent on my Wing.

And I've spent PLENTY!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Fred & Crate. On my wish list as I plan about 10,000 miles out North West this summer.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Tryed the wind soc. SO with 3/4 helmet and face shield still loud

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
And if you can get away with it, don't put a passenger PTT back there.:lol::lol:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a chatterbox head set intercom with vox that is far better than the wing set Also I have the xm I run it with the chatterbox it is great in sound. The chatterbox was their top line unit when I got it . I am ordering two autocom unites next week they have vox this stops the wind noise .The goldwing intercom, cb& radio are about 30 years behind . autocom is on sell now and you can use your cell gps xm and add a cb for about 600.00 This is less than you can buy A cb for from honda .With out the wind in your ears.:eek:

·
Registered
876 Posts
You need a set of Mic Mutes. They allow you to shut off the mics when you aren't talking, via the PTT CB switch. I have been using them since 2002, and wouldn't ride without them. They are the single best thing ever made for the GL1800's intercom system.

http://mic-mutes.com/
Fred when I visit the above link it shows that the system is made for the 1800 from 2001-2007. Is this just lacking an update to the site or is there a reason they will not work on a wing newer than 2007. I figured you would know as you probably already have installed them on your new 2009 wing.:lol:
Thanks Fred just found your thread on the mic-mutes install. Your always a couple of steps (lightyears) ahead of us.

·
Registered
195 Posts
wind noise

Is it possible to just put a "hold down to talk " switch for the passenger? Most of the wind noise appears to be crosswind noise comming from my passengers mike. mdh

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Is it possible to just put a "hold down to talk " switch for the passenger? Most of the wind noise appears to be crosswind noise comming from my passengers mike. mdh
The passenger controller by J&M or Honda allows the passenger to mute or turn off their mic. I installed the J&M on my bike and it solved the wind noise in the intercom. All the noise for us was coming from the passenger mic (we both wear full face helmets). Now the passenger turns on her mic when she wants to speak and then turns it off when done. Works great!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
GLhart,

Yes, no differnce between any of the years on the GL1800 (2001-2009).

I don't keep up with my website info like I should. Maybe I should do it this weekend?

·
Mad UK Winger
356 Posts
Just a thought....

as a temp measure, why not just push the icom button and toggle the system on/off when at higher speeds. a little tap on the side from the wife as a singnal to switch it on is easy.

only a temporary avoidance of the headaches for now. I'm surprised that everyone is 'lets fit this' rather than 'whats the easiest way for today'?

:joke::joke::joke::joke::joke:

but seriously though, those mic mutes are, it seems, one of the best ideas to present, and well worth the cost. I will be fitting some as soon as my other problem is sorted out :oops:

good luck all :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts