GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried to find an answer to this one, but can't find anything.

I now have a Tulsa tall windshield and the only thing I don't like about it is trying to see through it in the rain. If someone has some ideas on how to wick off the rain I'd appreciate the help. I don't want a shorter one because my back seat driver is very comfortable back there with this one.

Anyway, the question for you Windbender guys:

How does it do in the rain? I would think with the gap between the upper and lower sections at 30mph to highway speeds it would be like a tunnel effect and channel all the water through there and on to you.

Is this what happens?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Anyway, the question for you Windbender guys:

How does it do in the rain? I would think with the gap between the upper and lower sections at 30mph to highway speeds it would be like a tunnel effect and channel all the water through there and on to you.

Is this what happens?
Oddly enough, no. There's bound to be some rain that comes up between the two sections, but the effect of the two windshields is to create a laminar windflow that (if you're going fast enough) tends to carry most water droplets over your head. The HP is better for this than the ST. Waxing the forward windshield to make it slippery for water will help a lot too. If you're looking over the shield (HP) there is still some water that lands on your goggles/faceshield (ie, you don't stay completely dry, depending on your speed and how heavy it's raining), but if your faceshield is waxed, the water should bead and quickly move out of your line of sight.

For your Tulsa, try "waxing" it with the spray that Tulsa sells (S210?). I generally use that and it works for a short time...ie, that one rainstorm. I want to try Rejex - I've heard Rejex makes the windshield (any plastic) very slippery for water (and bugs) and lasts for several months.

Arthur

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a couple year old Windbender, manual adjustment, and while I don't ride in the rain normally I have gotten caught a couple times. The Windbender lets water up through the two shields, it also lets sand and some very small pebbles, don't follow open bed trucks, not bad on bugs but I have had them squished on my side of the shield, magic vortex or something. I like their looks and I'm either too cheap to replace it or too stubborn to consider my possible error. I look over the top of the shield. It cleans easily with damp cloth. I read something about a V-Shield ? Different shape supposed to divert wind well. It's a motorcycle so we get wind and whatever else nature has for us.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The very little bit of water that comes up between the two shields mostly just drops off onto the dash.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts