GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering the windbender setup, have read many post & need help on deciding which model.

I'm 5'10" with a 31" inseam

Would appreciate feedback on what you use & why you like the model you have vs the other.

F

·
0 Posts
Can't help with your height vs windshield needed, but here's the Windbender website.
http://www.firecreekacc.com/sizing_instructions.html

Give them a call and they'll be happy to help you determine exactly which shield will fit you best (That's what I did and I'm VERY happy.):

Firecreek Accessories
808 S. 7th Avenue
Yakima, WA 98902

Phone: 800-279-9997
509-452-4469

PS. I have the ST and it's my Spring, Summer and Fall shield. Works great for me.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am 5'9" and have a Windbender ST. I trimmed about 2" off the top and really like it now. With the base in the lowest setting I can look over the top of it and for really fast speeds I can raise it for better wind protection.

·
Registered
931 Posts
The ideal set up for me is to have the HP, ST and the electric motor. I use the motor all the time to trim the shields to the proper height...

Basically the HP is ideal for solo runs, with lots of cornering, and less than 200 mile trips. I like the extra clear area above the shield to see over.

The ST is for extra protection from cold wind, long distance rides> 200miles, highway driving 70+mph, and 2 up. I think it works best raised way up, and looking thru it to afford this extra wind protection. I really do not like having to look thru any shield, but on a long fast highway I will. The motor lets me drop it out of the way quickly if it fogs up, or the riding changes to slower twisties.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I have the hp and the st. I like thed the st better. Like intruder I cut off around 3 inches, I'm 5'8 so I could look over it. Still have the adjustiblity to move it up . Tim

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've got the ST with the motor, and like Mongo said, I use it all the time. Up for highway speeds, down for the twisties, all at the flick of a switch.

Mike

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I've got the HP; no electric adjust. The two parts of the windshiled are adjustable and the whole thing moves on the 'Wings windshield adjustment. I keep the Windbender at one notch from the lowest and just raise and lower the unit on the stock rails. The racheting system has long since failed and I've simply removed it. I find at 40+, the windshiled will hold iteslf whereever I put it. I usually raise it up a few inches so I'm looking over it a bit. Around town or on rough roads, I lower it all the way so I can see the road directly in front of me.

I've raised it all the way and looked through it when I've had a passenger. It doesn't seem to make much difference to me but can get most of the buffetting off her. I've seen tall Tulsa that I think would do it better.

Overall I'm reasonably happy but only have the stock to compare to and didn't mind it.

'Not sure how well this reads. PM me if you want more info.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I like mine. 6' and I can find a combination of lower and upper adjustment that works. It did take a little tuning to find where I liked it for 1 up and 2 up.

You will find that there are two type of people, those who like their windbender, and those that hate it. There seems to be no in-between. I found mine on a different board used. i do plan to add the $400 motor, but for now I have to adjust before i leave the light.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Based on the reviews, posts and reccomendation of friends, I am getting ready to buy the ST with electric. If anyone has one for sale I would consider a used purchase (anything to save a few $).

BAT

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I'm 5'11"
I have the ST w/electric. I usually keep the stock adjustment on the second notch,and adjust the Windbender electrically.
If I'm going on a long stretch of highway in cold or wet weather,I will raise the stock setting up a notch or two

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
I've tried several and get less buffetting - virtually none! - with the HP Short!!! I love it. I did get the motor and keep the shield down in town and the twisty stuff. Full up on the freeway still let's me see way over it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you are going to buy one- I recommend getting the electric adjustable one. It's kinda hard to stop on the freeway and adjust it when you run into rain or turbulence.
I didn't get it because it cost $$$ and the SO controls my bike fund. Now I wish I had.
I'm gonna try and build something that is a lot cheaper first before buying it from Windbender. :roll:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
shuckaduck said:
I have the hp and the st. I like thed the st better. Like intruder I cut off around 3 inches, I'm 5'8 so I could look over it. Still have the adjustiblity to move it up . Tim
Tim, You cut inches off your ST when you also have the HP....... Why is that? The HP is shorter, don't you kinda end up with another HP ?

thanks,Robert

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
The ST is flat and the HP has a little up turn to the top of the shield. Cutting a couple of inches off the ST does not make it an HP.

I have the HP-S. I'm 5'10" tall and wear 34" inseam Levi's jeans (they're just a hair long). I love my Windbender and won't go back. It works well for me and my wife. Being able to look over with these results is priceless:

Note the lack of bugs on our helmets.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I just bought a used HP but haven't installed it yet. I am 5'-4". Do you think I will still be able to see over it?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Tim, You cut inches off your ST when you also have the HP....... Why is that? The HP is shorter, don't you kinda end up with another HP ?
I don't like the blurry spot on the hp where it curves. Even though I can see over it, sometimes going up a mountain or around a really sharp curve that spot is in my line of vision and drives me nuts. I also seem to get a little more buffeting from the hp over 75 mph.

My seat is lowered, I think I cut 3 1/2 inches off. Hopefully you can see the heighth with it all the way down on this picture. Tim

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
The total height of the shield is 13 inches after I cut it. Heres anther view.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Quickdraw said:
I've tried several and get less buffetting - virtually none! - with the HP Short!!! I love it. I did get the motor and keep the shield down in town and the twisty stuff. Full up on the freeway still let's me see way over it.

Poll...how many can identify the mystery man in the red shirt behind the mirror? :wink:
I can 8)
sorry for the hijack...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Called Firecreek & I guess he has an answer service now to take orders.

They said questions directly to Tom is by email only.

Should be ordering soon after a few emails.

Thanks for your imput

1 - 20 of 24 Posts