GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I'm at home for at least a couple of weeks I'm wanting to replace my stock ('05) windscreen as it has scratches and dings. I usually look just over the top of the windscreen and it has a vent. I ride solo so no worries about buffeting passenger. Going to mount GPS (395LM) near windscreen so it is centered in my vision. It seems both options are about the same with the exception of the size of mounting hardware. For those that have them would you do again and any cons to them

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Following.
Scott

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey Winger63,
I have a windbender and I am in Caldwell if you would like check it out? Your more then welcome to take it for a test run, if you'd like? I have the 595 mounted center also, so It should be a fairly comparable set up for comparison. Just let me know?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I have the Madstad and it's perfect for me.
My only suggestion is to not get any tint on the screen if you do any kind of night driving.
I initially had the light tint, but found that at night even the light tint caused poor vision down and out to about 25' in front of the bike.
Regarding the Garmin 395, I have the 396 RAM mounted right beside the clutch reservoir.
The 395/396 has quite a small screen.
Your saying you are going to mount it up near the windscreen raises a red flag for me, as I know it would be too small and far away to see any detail.
If it were me, I would go with the new Zumo XT at that distance.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Winger63,
I have a windbender and I am in Caldwell if you would like check it out? Your more then welcome to take it for a test run, if you'd like? I have the 595 mounted center also, so It should be a fairly comparable set up for comparison. Just let me know?

I'm about 2-3 weeks from being able to ride because of elbow surgery. I might like to swing by and take a look at it in the next week if that works.

Thanks

·
Registered
928 Posts
Have a WindBender and love it. Let's me look over as the other does, for me it was all there was at the time but glad I got it. Got about 80k on it and looks like it did when I put it on. YMMV. Stay well and ride safe, hope this helps

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a powered Windbender setup with a clear HP11 (11" shield with top -edge recurve), I love the system but it's expensive. I ride mostly solo with the shield all the way down except on the freeway.
I expect the Madstad is much the same.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I had a Madstad on my F6B for 5 years and rode in all conditions. The best windshield I ever had (always looked over the top). I know from experience that being able to adjust the Rake Angle of the shield is key to getting the maximum wind protection.

Windbender seems to agree since they speak highly of their optional Rake Angle Kit: Rake Angle Kit. The Windbender starts to get pricey once you add their optional Rake Kit.

The Madstad comes with height & rake adjustment as standard for a lower price. IMO the Madstad hardware looks sleeker compared to the Windbender with optional Rake Kit attached.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the Madstad 14" and I have the garmin 595 high and centered you never take your eyes off the road. I love the set up I like the Madstad because it comes with the angle adjustment standard and the angle makes a difference. This is with it all the way down.
20200322_142621.jpg

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have the Madstad and it's perfect for me.
My only suggestion is to not get any tint on the screen if you do any kind of night driving.
I initially had the light tint, but found that at night even the light tint caused poor vision down and out to about 25' in front of the bike.
I've had Madstads on bikes for about 50,000 miles and I prefer the light grey tint. I've never noticed a degradation of vision from the tint but I realize everyone is different. I'm typically not looking directly down at the ground 25 feet or less in front of me when going straight down the road.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I'm typically not looking directly down at the ground 25 feet or less in front of me when going straight down the road.
At night I'm scanning the road constantly, especially low and directly in front.
That's where the pot holes, road trash, and dead critters typically hide.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the Madstad 14" and I have the garmin 595 high and centered you never take your eyes off the road. I love the set up I like the Madstad because it comes with the angle adjustment standard and the angle makes a difference. This is with it all the way down. View attachment 366787
What GPS mount do you have? I'm thinking about moving my 395LM up where you have yours. Right now it is by my clutch reservoir but things up close are harder to see after I had my PRK done. If I have to get something bigger I might go with a 595 or XT.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Winderbender is great and has a farkle shelf option, to mount pretty much all your gadgets. Most likely will add that to my Wing when I require a new shield. Madstad (I have on my F6BD) is also great, but less accommodating to a farkle shelf.

·
Registered
638 Posts
At night I'm scanning the road constantly, especially low and directly in front.
That's where the pot holes, road trash, and dead critters typically hide.
At 20 mph a motorcycle covers 30 feet per second. At 20 mph if you see something 25 feet out you have about 3/4 second to see it, recognize the danger, and take evasive action. 45 mph gives 1/3 second. Good luck.

I’m typically riding 40 mph or more even at night and my focus is high up and looking further down the road in order to see where my body will be in 2 to 10 seconds.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a 14" dark tint Madstad with my gps mount (ram ball) attached through the baseplate, This allows my gps to sit dead center under the baseplate which provides some protection from glare and rain. Very good shield and the dark tint looks great with my black bike.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a 14" dark tint Madstad with my gps mount (ram ball) attached through the baseplate, This allows my gps to sit dead center under the baseplate which provides some protection from glare and rain. Very good shield and the dark tint looks great with my black bike.
This looks like a great idea. What mount did you use and did you run power from the instrument panel up or through the area where the winsheild mounts. Pics if you have them please.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I drilled a hole through the madstad baseplate and use a 1" ram ball mount. I ran power from my 12v in the left side pocket snaked behind the instrument panel and came up between the dash and baseplate. Next time I have the cover off the bike I will take pics. Turned out clean. Prior to this I had it right below the ignition switch. Never liked the handlebar mounts.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
#1Blackbetty, after drilling the hole through your base, what did you do to keep it from cracking from stress? I've been using the adhesive backed ball mounts, but after a while the adhesive lets go and my devices start to sag. If I could bolt them in place, the problem would be solved.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I have a Windbender. I like it. If I had to replace it tomorrow, I'd probably try a Madstad simply because of the cost. I think they are both quality products.

Putting a RAM ball into the runners of the Windbender is very straightforward -- just remove the normal bolt, re-tap the hole to 1/4-20, and replace the bolt with the RAM B ball with the short stud (typically used for camera tripod mounts, etc.). Mount your GPS off the RAM ball.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts