GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
I used a high speed drill bit that I started small and went larger to the desired size .I use a thick rubber washer on each side and tighten enough to keep the ball from spinning. Haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What GPS mount do you have? I'm thinking about moving my 395LM up where you have yours. Right now it is by my clutch reservoir but things up close are harder to see after I had my PRK done. If I have to get something bigger I might go with a 595 or XT.
Ram ball on a home made bracket that is mounted to the baseplate with 4- 1/8" bolts the guy I got it from had the bracket on when I got it you can see the ram ball below it I had it mounted there before I got the Madstad I'm go to mount a TPMS on the lower mount this year.

20200323_204225.jpg 20200323_204238.jpg

·
Registered
187 Posts
Look in the Inventors and Hobby section. Yoda makes a mount for the dash. I've had one for around 6 years and 100k miles and haven't had a problem. He upgraded the ball mount to handle the larger GPS units. It puts it straight in front of you and tucked in the shield.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Now that I'm at home for at least a couple of weeks I'm wanting to replace my stock ('05) windscreen as it has scratches and dings. I usually look just over the top of the windscreen and it has a vent. I ride solo so no worries about buffeting passenger. Going to mount GPS (395LM) near windscreen so it is centered in my vision. It seems both options are about the same with the exception of the size of mounting hardware. For those that have them would you do again and any cons to them

Thanks.
Shout out to Winger63 and Brundage the Idaho guys. I am in Nampa and maybe when things settle down we can meet up and put on some miles. I have been off the board for quite a while but have continued riding.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the Windbender on mine (it came to me this way) as well as a farkle shelf. I have the Zumo 665 mounted center (easy to read) with the XM antenna to one side and the V1 on the other. I've cleaned up the wiring since this photo (shot the day I picked up the bike), but you get the idea.

jdg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2003 GL. I have a Baggershield. The top half can be folded down behind the lower half. It also utilizes the Honda shield adjusters. I love it, but on my 2003 GL I had to ream out the mounting slots. The manufacturer gave me good support. It was worth it!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Now where can I find a farkle shelf. I've seen them on a lot of the bikes of the Iron Butt Riders who participate in the IBA Rally.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'd like to see a picture of your Baggershield if you have one.

Edit: I found the website and looked at the F6B and Goldwing offerings. That is an interesting concept.
I purchased my 2013 F6B used and it came with a BaggerShield. I replaced the BaggerShield with a Madstad and for wind protection the Madstad was far superior.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I drilled a hole through the madstad baseplate and use a 1" ram ball mount. I ran power from my 12v in the left side pocket snaked behind the instrument panel and came up between the dash and baseplate. Next time I have the cover off the bike I will take pics. Turned out clean. Prior to this I had it right below the ignition switch. Never liked the handlebar mounts.
I going to run power between baseplate (Madstad) and dash like you did. Maybe not from left pocket but instead from Fuzeblock I'm installing since I already have the harness wired back to the ACC panel by battery.. Did you have to go up by review mirror or did you have to loosen instrument panel to run wiring? Was it hard to snake wire that way? Not sure if I'll mount GPS to windscreen or dash. Kicking around some different ideas - but you way seems like it might be easiest. It's either that or a small RAM plate mounted to dash.

Thanks for the ideas and info.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I snaked the wire to the right of the left speaker. Pulled the front windshield garnish to access the space between the baseplate and dash. Limited areas where you can pull the wire. Leave extra cord length for adjustment.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I snaked the wire to the right of the left speaker. Pulled the front windshield garnish to access the space between the baseplate and dash. Limited areas where you can pull the wire. Leave extra cord length for adjustment.
Thanks. I was looking at that. Wish I had smaller hands but I just be patient. Still a few weeks before I can ride.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I have a clear Madstad and really like it. The main HQ is in my hometown and these guys can't be any nicer. great product and super guys/gals too! No issues with mine going on 2 years

21 - 36 of 36 Posts