GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After going thru three other windshields in 7 months,at last I found the one for me. Do not have to look thru the shield, and no wind noise or head buffeting, less on my wife to.
I am 6'1" tall tried the showcrome extra tall, and the tulsa extra tall, the tulsa worked ,but looking thru plastic got old. I recommend this windshield to all GL1800 owners.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
windbender

I certainly like the look of the windbender, i'm 6 ft 3, will it work for me? It gives the wing a sportier look for sure. How hard is the install?
JD

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: windbender

JD said:
I certainly like the look of the windbender, i'm 6 ft 3, will it work for me? It gives the wing a sportier look for sure. How hard is the install?
JD
The bottom half is just like the original one,has the same amount of travel up and down.The top half has about 4 " of ajustment, so all total about 8" of up down ajustment. Having installed 4 shields it takes me 30 min to install one.They come in different heights for the top half. Tinted and untinted, bottom half is tinted. First I bought the extra tall top half, and then returned it, I had to have the bottom half and top half all the way down to see over it. 6'6" tall would be no problem for this great shield.
The designer and seller of it is a great guy to do business with,you can reach him at 1-800-279-9997 (Buy the one he suggest for your height, like i should have) I received my shield 1 week after I ordered it.Cost 200.00 worth every penny to me and more. http://www.firecreekacc.com/index.html

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just finished install on my Windbender HP +3 (I'm 6'5") this morning.
I'm not quite as enthusiastic as Buddy, but it's definitely better than stock. (I've not tried the Tulsa). As I said, I just finished the install, so I'm still trying to get the adjustments right. I'm just trying to decide if it's $250 better, ya know!
The install was straightforward on my 04, even for this non-mechanic. Like most optional equipment, the instructions refer you to the service manual for the tupperware and windshield removal, and then says to install the bottom half in reverse order. The only unexpected item was that I didn't realize the bottom piece was darkly tinted. Fred Harmon has got some pretty good pictures on his install.
Firecreek was pretty good to work with, and tried to fit the windshield to my riding. The big concern is to make sure that you look over the windshield rather than through it (there is some distortion at the top of the top piece, because of the curvature). The challenge is going to be getting the piece low enough for good visibility, yet high enough for turbulence protection. If your visibility changes frequently (like entering city driving and then jumping on a freeway), I can see the desirability of the electric option. But that's another $350!.
Firecreek's web site has a pretty good video of the electric option.

Sorry this is so long! Is this more than you wanted to know??

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have had the windbender on my bike for about a year and a half. It has worked as well as advertised. The best thing about the shield is that you do not look through it. Scratching has not been a problem. Easy to clean. Although I have not tried them I would not recommend the tinted version as (a) it might hinder seeing the road immediately in front of the bike and, (b) it probably would not cut glare as you look over the shield about 98% of the time anyway. Just a (maybe too long) opinion from a sorta long time owner.
Ride safely, Bill Nethery

·
Registered
471 Posts
Windbender models???

Except for VA Rider, which model windbender are you guys talking about?
Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I have the HP Windbender

I have the HP tented Windbender shield and have been very pleased with it. I enjoy looking over the shield. The only thing I might change is to get a "clear" upper shield instead of the tented one I have now. Most of the time the tented shield is good and I think it looks much better with my silver bike. The problem I have with the tented shield is seeing the road close up at night or during the rain, especially if on gravel roads and trying to see road surface imperfections.

G

·
0 Posts
VA Rider said:
.......I can see the desirability of the electric option. But that's another $350!.
Firecreek's web site has a pretty good video of the electric option.....

yes this is a neat video....I can see how handy it would be to easily adjust the height electrically however don't know if the price can be justified.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the Windbender HP +3. It has the tinted bottom and clear top half. I originally ordered the standard height and when the weather finally broke I tried it out and thought gee I wish I would have gotten the +3. I corresponded with Tom at Firecreek and he gladly exchanged it for me. Not only did he exchange it but when I told him I would ship mine back to him he immediately shipped the new one out, I guess taking me at my word that I would and that it was in good shape. He is a good guy to deal with and full of knowledge.

As I ride the air flow is over my head as advertised and my girlfriend says the buffeting is almost entirely gone for her. I guess the proof is I am no longer pushing my sunglasses back on my head, not grabbing my hat when helmetless and it is quieter when I do ride with a helmet.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I went with the plus 3 ST clear, I tried the HP tinted and didn't care for it. I'm only 6'1 but I just couldn't get the standard ST adjusted right. I do use an airhawk pad with the plus 3 adjusted one notch up. This lets me look over the top, there is still some buffeting especially on breezy days but it's not bad. I found the other day on the interstate with the buffeting from surrounding cars that if I leaned into the shield abit it lessened the effects. All and all I'm pleased with the Windbender. Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts