GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Have both the ST and tinted HP-S....prefer the HP-S as I ride solo most of the time. This is also the "look over" rather than "look thru" model, although it can be raised if desired. The ST is too tall for my liking, even in the lowest position. I do not have the electric raise/lower option. Rode from AZ to AR with mine in the "one notch from bottom" position and was very comfortable (I have Baker hand wings also.) While in AR, I raised it two notches to reduce buffeting for wife and never heard any complaints. When it rains, just raise it a couple notches and keep on keepin on.

Like Rick said, you will hear all sorts of comments about the products you have asked information on ....even from those that have never tried it!

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
If you prefer to look over your shield then the Windbender HP-S is the one to get. Clear vision and little wind, I just love it.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I've tried the stock shield both with and without the vent.I've tried a Tulsa vented.I tried the Windbendr HP,and now have the Windbender ST.And don't see myself changing.
To me,the electric option is a must,even if it seems overpriced.

If I know I'm going to do a lot of back road or twistie riding,I lower the stock adjustment down to the first or second notch,then adjust the Windbender at will.
If I know I'm going to be doing a lot of freeway riding,or cool weather riding,I raise it up to the 3rd or 4th notch,and still can adjust at will.

Plus I've had the pleasure of having a couple of drinks with Tom,the inventor of the Windbender.:cool:

·
Registered
352 Posts
For me and the SO, the stock windshield created a lot of buffeting at highway speeds. I'm 6ft 3 and my wife is 5 ft 2. I installed the Windbender ST and now have about 7000 miles on that windshield. The ST eliminated all buffeting at speeds under 55 and greatly reduced buffeting at speeds between 55 and 70. I do not have the electric option so I played with various heights until I found a sweet spot that worked for us. I have the height set at about eye level if I sit up straight and not my usual slouched position. So I'm typically looking through the windshield.

The windshield is not very scratch resistant so care must be taken in cleaning it.

At some point I would like to compare the ST to the Cee Bailey and Clearview to compare to see the difference in wind protection.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I'm very satisfied with my HP and the power option. Whenever I'm riding and notice the wind noise and buffeting starting to increase (normally speeds above 45 MPH), I just run the shield up until the noise stops. I wish there was a speed sensitive option that would raise and lower the shield automatically.;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I love mine. I had a tall Tulsa before the Windbender.
I really like all the adjustment and my wife says it
is very close to the Tulsa in confort. It may not look
as good as some other shields but I think it is the
best combination of features.

Ronnie

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I had an electric WB on my '01. When I sold it, I kept it but haven't had a chance to put it on my new '08. That is my only complaint about my new bike. I hate the stock shield so over the winter I will install my WB again. Just not sure what to do with the electric option since there is no right pocket area to put the motor. I wouldn't have any other windshield.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I run the ST when 2 up. I can look over it, which works for me since I'm a look-over kind of guy.; I run the HP when solo, because it can be set lower. I had an HP-S at first, but it was way too short for Goldilocks. SHe thinks the ST is juuust right though.

The biggest thing for me is that the split-screen design forces the rain to depart the shield straight up and over you, not right back into your eyes like the stocker.

I got the electric option, and I like it, but it is WAY pricey these days. Holy dollor signs, Batman!

Dave
GWBBA #9

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had an electric WB on my '01. When I sold it, I kept it but haven't had a chance to put it on my new '08. That is my only complaint about my new bike. I hate the stock shield so over the winter I will install my WB again. Just not sure what to do with the electric option since there is no right pocket area to put the motor. I wouldn't have any other windshield.
My 08 Wing has a locking RS pocket. I'm curious why there's a difference.

·
Registered
352 Posts
My 08 Wing has a locking RS pocket. I'm curious why there's a difference.
The Wings w Air bags don't have a right side pocket.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Shields

Have had Windbender, C Bailey, Tulsa, on the 2001 and 2004, when I bought the 2008 went back to Tulsa X tall......this is still our favorite.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The Wings w Air bags don't have a right side pocket.
Copy that thanks.

I’m also considering the windbender (WB) but, still haven’t decided if I’m going to keep the wing. I'm still trying to adjust to it as compared to the FJR.

Anyway, if I go with a WB I’ll probably do what you’ve done and just install the w/shield to start with. Then maybe later on I’ll add the electric option. The electrically adjustable w/s is one of the features of the FJR that I really miss.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I replaced the OEM windshield with a Clearview +4, then I purchased a used WB and installed that last summer.

I like BOTH of them, currently have the WB on, but I'll change to the Clearview +4 this spring. At 6' and a 30" inseam, I can lower the Clearview and look OVER it, or raise it and it blocks rain very well. Heavy rain, I lower it and look over it. Your results may differ.

JMHO

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I went from stock to the Tulsa standard with vent... Good shield but.....

anyway ordered the Bender HP S tinted and the ST I think thats the letters. Anyway the larger shield. We use the larger shield on long hauls if I think there might be rain..(if Im pulling hte trailer I just set it inside inc ase I want to ride in a car), other wise I only use the HP S tinted. I found I only need two positions. In the cold I raise it one notch or riding two up. So I have no desire to waste the coin for a electric dohickey to raise and lower it. In my case that is a totla waste of coin.

One note.. we like to feel the breeze. My SO Loves to rid eon the V rod for hundred of miles a day with not shield. If on the other hand you want to go with a sterile no frills no feel ride.. go with the Tulsa. Honest , its a great shield, I used one for 40,000 plus miles. Diff strokes for Diff folks... I got tired of the barn door effect is all YRMV.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Shield

I AM 6 FT 3 WITH A LONG TORSO. i HAD THE HP WINDBENDER PLUS 4.
IT WAS GREAT BELOW 70 MPH, AT 70 MPH, THE BUFFETTING WOULD BECOME HORRIBLE. I SOLD IT AND NOW HAVE TULSA STANDARD PLUS 4
I LOVE THIS SHIELD. I HAVE HAD TULSA RAKED BACK STAND ARD AND
EXTRA TALL.
THE ONE I HAVE NOW IS MY FAVORITE, NO HEAD BUMPING, AND DECENT
WIND PROTECTION. :) LIKE THEY SAID, DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Loved my Windbender ST..
I was really surprised how many "rattles" went away when I went back to stock before I sold the bike....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts