GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we all use our PC's to talk about motorcycles, I was more amused than shocked when I ran across a website searching for a non-related topic on computer bug (the term) at http://www.aaxnet.com/info/hist.html After finding the article that appeared on an amusing timeline of computing, I readily determined that this site was not pro M$.

I already had heard that Windows Vista was a bloated OS, so I went to the home page and found the article: Windows Vista - Broken by Design.

I know that many Wingers just long to have the latest stuff, especially on computers, but know maybe some of you might understand why I stopped at Windows XP SP1 and have never updated. We've known for years that M$ has become a monopoly, buying out the competition and bundling features into the OS to destroy competition. Vista, should you get it, will most likely require you to buy a more expensive and powerful computer just to do the things you now do. That's like saying that every new accessory you buy for your Wing means that you either have to buy a new Wing or replace the engine. Doesn't make any sense to me!

I'm hoping that Linux becomes standardized for the PC, as it is public domain. That along with software from OpenOffice.org might just break the stronghold that M$ has on the PC.

It's you money & your choice, but for me, I'll pass on Vista.

Oh, if you want the home page: http://www.aaxnet.com/index.html#top
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,844 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,271 Posts
John Garner said:
Since we all use our PC's to talk about motorcycles, I was more amused than shocked when I ran across a website searching for a non-related topic on computer bug (the term) at http://www.aaxnet.com/info/hist.html After finding the article that appeared on an amusing timeline of computing, I readily determined that this site was not pro M$.

I already had heard that Windows Vista was a bloated OS, so I went to the home page and found the article: Windows Vista - Broken by Design.

I know that many Wingers just long to have the latest stuff, especially on computers, but know maybe some of you might understand why I stopped at Windows XP SP1 and have never updated. We've known for years that M$ has become a monopoly, buying out the competition and bundling features into the OS to destroy competition. Vista, should you get it, will most likely require you to buy a more expensive and powerful computer just to do the things you now do. That's like saying that every new accessory you buy for your Wing means that you either have to buy a new Wing or replace the engine. Doesn't make any sense to me!

I'm hoping that Linux becomes standardized for the PC, as it is public domain. That along with software from OpenOffice.org might just break the stronghold that M$ has on the PC.

It's you money & your choice, but for me, I'll pass on Vista.

Oh, if you want the home page: http://www.aaxnet.com/index.html#top
John,

The biggest problem I have with the Linux / OpenOffice.org mentality is that many seem to think all computer software / service should be FREE!!

It is the primary reason I quit developing DL - I heard the F word so often in private email that I finally quit trying to fight a battle I wasn't ever going to win.

I have had products that competed against Microsoft's and eventually I had to throw in the towel (example would be Sandi's & my DOS task switcher Back & Forth). Even though competitive forces forced us on to a new product, I still wouldn't want Microsoft to STOP moving forward.

Linux and OpenOffice are good products. I doubt though they will ever be FEATURE competitive with the Microsoft offerings (as long as Microsoft can make money with its products).

As far as closed architectures, look at Apple. In its beginnings, Apple was very open with its architecture / operating systems. After the Macintosh came about, Apple shut the doors and sued everyone who tried to develop a compatible product.

Oh well, off my soapbox.

Best Regards,

Shane
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
22,510 Posts
I have been reading some fairly negative stuff on Vista lately. For one thing, it will disable any digital output ports whenever anything with digital rights is played on the PC. Not a great big deal, except that it poles several of the port devices 3 times a second to check it's status, thus greatly slowing down the whole system.

The other thing I am seeing is that you need a Core 2 Duo processor and 1gb of memory just to run the operating system. I dunno, but it appears to me that Vista may be the point at which Microsoft has shot themselves in the foot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,194 Posts
While I am not a MS enthusiast or supporter, look at the "useful" software or software that you are interested to use/run, which platform has the most available? The bottom line is there is more software titles available for the the Windows platform than any other. While Linux is intriguing it will not run most of the software I wish to run without major tinkering (if it will run at all). Then there is Apple/Mac, while it may be a better operating system it still has the image of being for the "artsy" folks. The bottom line is Windows is still the 'defacto" standard and will be for years to come.

A number of reviews I have read so far give me no reason to move to Vista. As with most new operating systems, the resources needed to run them have increased and many older systems will not have the "horsepower" to run it.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
22,510 Posts
zaT111 said:
As with most new operating systems, the resources needed to run them have increased and many older systems will not have the "horsepower" to run it.
Vista is the first operating system I have ever seen that needed top of the line equipment to run though. Previous Windows releases would run on a typical middle of the road PC with decent memory.

I dunno, but I am going to guess that folks are not going to be moving to Vista in any great numbers or speed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,547 Posts
I still build Win98Se computers for me :lol:

My lifestyle is still funded by using a MSDos based payroll system.

Backups & restores are a breeze.

I still love looking at a command based screen in black & white.

I still must have an autoexec.bat & config.sys in my boot-up.

Mr. gates would only need a staff of 10 if everyone else was as
antiquated as me.

Oh, and MSWorks from 1995 is still my preferred spreadsheet & word
processor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,271 Posts
Fred H. said:
zaT111 said:
As with most new operating systems, the resources needed to run them have increased and many older systems will not have the "horsepower" to run it.
Vista is the first operating system I have ever seen that needed top of the line equipment to run though. Previous Windows releases would run on a typical middle of the road PC with decent memory.

I dunno, but I am going to guess that folks are not going to be moving to Vista in any great numbers or speed.
If you look at Windows XP, it didn't become the standard overnight either. It is mainly new machine purchases that drove its acceptance. Vista will be no different.

But having said that, the actual # of Vista users will be LARGE though the market percentage may be low for a while (several years).

Best regards,

Shane
 

·
Registered
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Joined
·
4,316 Posts
Interesting topic to say the least.

Like Fred H, within the last 3 months I’ve built my own machine. I began with a Core 2 Duo, and 3 weeks later was informed that I’d won a Core 2 Extreme chip from the retailer where I’d bought my Duo chip.

So… anyway… now I’ve now got a kick-ass XP machine with a pair of 500gig hard drives in a stripped RAID array, along with 3 gigs of RAM and a pair of Crossfire video cards.
Of course… I did all of this in anticipation of loading Vista when it became available.

But… like others have said… I’ve been hearing a lot of cautionary tales in re Vista. Although none have been what I’d classify as “negative”, most have been in the “it’s nice, but ya might want to wait the kinks are worked out” category.

The January 2007 edition of PC Magazine was a double issue, completely devoted to Vista: What is it… What’s required… What’s new… What to expect… Tips & hang-ups in re installing it… and a general review.

So… based on that, I’d already decided to wait a few months before investing in Vista. That is, unless MS decided to offer some really kick-ass monetary incentives for me go ahead and make the plunge.

However… on a related topic... I’ve been running MS Office 2007 for a few weeks now, and I can tell you that it is sweet! I upgraded from office XP (I skipped office 2003)… and there are some good changes in it.

No, it’s not available in stores yet… but I was fortunate enough to be passed a commercial copy of it from a business friend of mine. (It was released for corporations last month)

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
Here is my spin on it.
Windows Vista is just an interim OS until Windows Live goes live on the internet as an OS. Think about it. Lots of the software you use is on the internet on someone elses server and it works great. I'll give ya a list to think about.
Ebay
Paypal
Online Banking
Simple Website Development
File Backup Services
Picture/Movie Hosting Services
Messaging Services
Email
Instant Messaging
Special Interest Forums (like gl1800riders)
Antivirus Services
Addware/Spyware Services

All this stuff is online and you do nothing to your computer to use it. The future of computing is online and you will pay a nominal monthly fee to use what you want. Operating systems will follow suit down the road.

There is my 2 cents. Wish my crystall ball had more horsepower.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,827 Posts
zaT111 said:
Snip...Then there is Apple/Mac, while it may be a better operating system it still has the image of being for the "artsy" folks. The bottom line is Windows is still the 'defacto" standard and will be for years to come...Snip.
Try running Win XP on a 2.6 GHZ Dual Core Mac Pro and you'll realize how great life can be when you have the best of all worlds in one box. Mac OS X is built on Unix, and runs Win XP in full native mode. I can boot into XP with Boot Camp, or I can run Parallells with WinXP insiide a window and can copy/paste between my OS X and XP. I have full use of all my USB devices and drives.

Apple isn't just for Artsy Fartsy anymore!

Matt Caswell
Founder, Tucson Macintosh Users Group
Founder, Military and Civilian Macintosh Users Group (No. Calif)

Mac Fanatic!
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
22,510 Posts
mattcaswell said:
Try running Win XP on a 2.6 GHZ Dual Core Mac Pro and you'll realize how great life can be when you have the best of all worlds in one box. Mac OS X is built on Unix, and runs Win XP in full native mode. I can boot into XP with Boot Camp, or I can run Parallells with WinXP insiide a window and can copy/paste between my OS X and XP. I have full use of all my USB devices and drives.

Apple isn't just for Artsy Fartsy anymore!

Matt Caswell
Founder, Tucson Macintosh Users Group
Founder, Military and Civilian Macintosh Users Group (No. Calif)

Mac Fanatic!
Yea, but try ordering your own motherboard, case, power supply, processor, memory and hard drives and building your own Mac (at half price) like you can with a regular PC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,827 Posts
Fred H. said:
mattcaswell said:
Try running Win XP on a 2.6 GHZ Dual Core Mac Pro and you'll realize how great life can be when you have the best of all worlds in one box. Mac OS X is built on Unix, and runs Win XP in full native mode. I can boot into XP with Boot Camp, or I can run Parallells with WinXP insiide a window and can copy/paste between my OS X and XP. I have full use of all my USB devices and drives.

Apple isn't just for Artsy Fartsy anymore!

Matt Caswell
Founder, Tucson Macintosh Users Group
Founder, Military and Civilian Macintosh Users Group (No. Calif)

Mac Fanatic!
Yea, but try ordering your own motherboard, case, power supply, processor, memory and hard drives and building your own Mac (at half price) like you can with a regular PC.
I would be interested in just how cheap you could build a comparable desktop, with the same functionality and features. I'll dig up the specs if you're willing to show me how much I overspent by purchasing a Mac.

:lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Fred H. said:
Yea, but try ordering your own motherboard, case, power supply, processor, memory and hard drives and building your own Mac (at half price) like you can with a regular PC.
That used to be the case many years ago, but now in order for you to build a windows machine with the same specs and quality components found in a Mac, your talking about the same or even more $$$.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Vista

I think that someone has misspoken. I downloaded the VISTA advisor, and it stated that my PC Homebuilt 3.0 Gig, with 1 gig of ram will run just fine. I ran the same on my wifes, 1.4 processor with 1 gig of ram and same story, it will run. Probably not as fast, but according to the advisor, it will run.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
22,510 Posts
mattcaswell said:
I would be interested in just how cheap you could build a comparable desktop, with the same functionality and features. I'll dig up the specs if you're willing to show me how much I overspent by purchasing a Mac.

:lol:
All I am saying, is Mac stuff is all proprietary, and that is my biggest problem with it. I am sure they are good systems, I just wish Apple stuff wasn't all so proprietary and you could get common components for them like you can any other computer.

I would like to build a Mac, if I could buy the motherboard and components I want and put it together myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
I've been running Vista RC1 for about 4 months and like it much better than XP. I'm using it on a Dell Inspiron 9300 notebook with a 2ghz Pentium M processor, and 1 gb of RAM. No where near a power computer. It's working fine and is more stable than XP ever was for me.

That said, when this notebook dies, I'm going to look seriously at buying a MacBook......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
I just had to buy a new laptop (Friday) after a tad bit of water got into my other one. It's a new Toshiba and it was on close-out price from Staples because it runs Windows XP Media and they are switching out all their stock to machines running Vista (so I was told). This computer comes with the right to get a copy of Vista free ($10 shipping/handling) which we plan to do to see how it runs. If I don't like it, I will switch back to Windows. I suspect most new laptops at least will come loaded with Vista from what Staples was telling us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Fred H. said:
All I am saying, is Mac stuff is all proprietary, and that is my biggest problem with it. I am sure they are good systems, I just wish Apple stuff wasn't all so proprietary and you could get common components for them like you can any other computer.
There's a reason Apple is proprietary, they don't break, crash, or become obsolete in a year. They are true "plug and play" systems vs. "plug and pray" on the windows end.

Microsoft Vista is what the Mac OS was 5 years ago. Windows XP is what the Mac OS was 10 years ago.

Read this... maybe it will open your eyes a little bit.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196800670
 
1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Top