GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 gl1800; has anyone have good results with
The Taller OEM screen that Honda sells? Or should I look at different aftermarket screens, like national cycle? I’m 6’2” and cruise at a rather
Fast clip? at extended distances, head buffeting becomes annoying.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Windshield

Take a look at the F4 +4 it’s 1 inch wider than stock and 4 inches taller than stock. You can clean it with winded and a paper towel. The thing I like is it has a coating shat the rain comes off.

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
2016 gl1800; has anyone have good results with
The Taller OEM screen that Honda sells? Or should I look at different aftermarket screens, like national cycle? I’m 6’2” and cruise at a rather
Fast clip? at extended distances, head buffeting becomes annoying.
I use a Hondaline Tall OEM windscreen. It's about 2.5" taller than the original OEM and the same width. What I like about OEM is that they are Lexum coated to reduce scratching, they have 0 deflection, fit correctly so that they don't break the visor, and most important, they easily ratchet up and down because they are they the correct thickness.

The part number I show is:

WINDSHIELD, TALL-VENTED 08R80-MCA-100J

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Get a Madstad with the 14" shield, pay less than you would for big/tall/wide, be very happy, never look back. Once the Madstad is adjusted, neither you nor a passenger will suffer from buffeting again.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I have the F4+2 clear. My buddy has the F4+4 tinted. The tint is not severe and he has commented it's great at night and better than the old Tulsa extra tall - tinted he had before it shattered.

I would never use a acrylic windshield. They shatter into knife like shards. Honda OEM, F4 and others are Lexan. Lexan will bend and not shatter like acrylic. The problem I see is so many aftermarket windshields are acrylic. :22yikes:
I have experience working with acrylic building specialized equipment at our lab over the years.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
271 Posts
So wish I would have went with a Madstad. I bought one for another bike recently and the quality is so much better than the way overpriced F4 I bought for the Wing.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
From the Madstad web page...

"Cast acrylic is more rigid, more optically clear, has better scratch resistance, better chemical resistance for cleaning, easier to mold, less costly, and does not cloud or become hazy over time like polycarbonate can."

"FYI, the canopy of the F/A-18 Hornet supersonic combat jet is made of cast acrylic. If acrylic is good enough for a military fighter jet we feel it is good enough for your motorcycle!"

:shrug:

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Are we talking about Laminated cast Polymer Methacrylate windshields used in military aircraft??? More heat, impact and shatterproof then acrylic's used in private aircraft.
Me thinks it's a bit different than the chap heat formed Acrylic used in some aftermarket motorcycle windshields. :wink2:

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
"Uncoated Windbenders are made from the hardest cell-cast acrylic available. "

Again, :shrug:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow LCPM! That’s a mouthful!?the biggest concern is what your body looks like when it goes through either acrylic or lexan ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
FYI, the canopy of the F/A-18 Hornet supersonic combat jet is made of cast acrylic. If acrylic is good enough for a military fighter jet we feel it is good enough for your motorcycle!

And if you ever have to jettison the aircraft, the canopy is blown clear. Watch some videos of GL 1800 crashes, and you may see the test dummy coming going forward, then coming down with his throat striking the top of the windscreen. If it's Lexan, it will probably bend. If it is acrylic (and twice as thick as stock) it will not. It may, however, shatter.

Sobering. Want your throat impacting a shattered acrylic screen? Me neither.

I guess if the screen is tall enough, going over and down may not be an issue. But going through it may still cause it to shatter, with similar results.

I run a shorter than stock screen, and I have an airbag which "may" mitigate this issue.

May.

Not a theory I want to test.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the info, I’ve purchased the Honda line extra tall, see how that plays out? if it doesn’t do the job, it’ll be another thing to hang on the garage wall?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts