GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
almost got bike together, having proublems reinstalling windshield assembly. the center bracket for windshield has a type of ratchet for locking the window position. i have an f4 windshield

1. how does it release to move window up and down?

2. what is best position to start?

did the tape go all the way accross for the window to slide? i saw in a post some used strips. i am using velcro tape to replace.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
I put a F4 w/s on my old 02 wing, and the F4 folks told me that I could not move it up/down any more..that it was now there w/o any chance to move it...
I'm not an expert on shields, but I now I could not move my shield after the F4.......... O'by the way I loved my F4... I have the stock shield on my 2010 now.........

Ronnie

·
Administrator
4,415 Posts
I believe an "f4" is a trade name. There are several sizes of a f4. All are adjustable EXCEPT the +4. ie. if it's an f4 +2, it's adjustable. Hope this helps. BB

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
almost got bike together, having proublems reinstalling windshield assembly. the center bracket for windshield has a type of ratchet for locking the window position. i have an f4 windshield

1. how does it release to move window up and down?

2. what is best position to start?

3. did the tape go all the way accross for the window to slide? i saw in a post some used strips. i am using velcro tape to replace.
1. Lift the sliding mechanism all the way to the top (hard). That releases the latch to allow the slide to return to the bottom. It will then ratchet upwards (four click positions as I recall). Then fully to the top to reset again. It will not go back down without going fully to the top first, and will not click into place without going fully down first.

2. F4 windshields come in different flavors. The F4, F4+2, F4+4... The F4+4 is not designed to ratchet up and down due to the increased length. The side wings at the bottom of the shield will hit the tupperware by the top of the dash if assembled or lowered at less than the 2nd click from the top. So let the shield itself be your guide in where to place it. On mine, I raised the ratchet to the 2nd from top click and put the shield on. That allowed me one more upward click if necessary. I liked the 2nd position, never moved it from there as the bottom of the shields side wings had minimum clearance from the tupperware and minimum air blow by in that position.

3. Yes, the black tape is there for a slide strip. I removed mine also - it was shot anyway. Use the velcro F4 provides. Clean the attachment section along the top shelter well so the velcro will stick without sliding in the future. I still had to go in later in the year to slide one end back down into position, it was riding up past the mounting line. You will notice when riding in the rain the rain that runs down the back of the shield will collect on the velcro and be noticeable. Don't worry about it, it dries out. Just looks funny for a bit. The velcro goes all the way across the tupperware, for sliding (which the F4+4 doesn't do), appearance, and for vibration reduction. I also put some of the extra velcro into the up/down sections on the tupperware where the black tape was peeling. Again, mainly for vibration reduction.

Hope this answers your questions. Don't forget to stick a rag down into the voids under the mirror openings when you remove the 10 mm nuts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts