GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed an F4 + 4" with vent on my '07. I had a Tulsla std with vent on my '03. I love the clarity & easy cleaning with the F4 but notice more helmet buffeting on me & passenger than with the Tulsa even with the vent open. I prefer looking thru the taller shield. I would appreciate you guys sharing your experiences with different windshield designs.

B

·
0 Posts
Interesting. I just told Silverback that I have an F4 +4 and sit in a pocket of almost still air. Now I never had a Tulsa so I can't compare. but compared to OEM my F4 +4 is much better.

The main thing I like though is the clarity and ease of cleaning. Also it is thicker and seems to flex less.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
how can you guys stand looking through the windshield, I set mine at the height of my nose, and look over the top, and get no buffeting, and better fuel mileage.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree, I need to look over the screen.

I had a 1500 that I had to look through the screen, it did my head in, especially when it rained.

Mine is a Cee Bailey -2, a great screen with very little buffeting.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
i have tulsa standard + 4

I have the tulsa standard plus 4, i get almost no buffetting unless i'm behind a big truck.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I have a "Windbender" from Firecreek.

http://www.firecreekacc.com/wind_bender.html

It has lots of adjustability so you should get it right where you want it. I keep it all the way down around town, an inch below my eyes on normal highway conditions, a couple inches above my eyes in rain, and all the way up with a passenger. The wind management it talks about is nice. (I did accomplish the same effect by cutting a rectangular hole along the bottom of my Honda short windshield and flaring the top two inches of it out.) The Windbender still has some buffeting for the passenger. A tall Tulsa would probably be better but then you will be looking through it.

You will probably need some air deflectors to eliminate most of the passenger buffeting.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I don't find it any more strange to look through the windshield on the bike than the windshield in my truck. The first day, it seemed strange, but I really haven't noticed it being a problem. Now, if I lived in an area where it rained more often, my opinion might be different.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
It's difficult without more background to compare.

I'm about 6', with a 30" inseam, so, I'm long-waisted.
Sitting upright, the standard windshield, at MAX height is just below my line of sight.

I opted for the Clearview +4. It's 3" wider than the stock windshield also.

At it's lowest setting, I can see over it quite well, and at it's highest setting, it provides excellent wind protection, as the highest point is just about at my forehead top.

I have not used any other brands, so I can't comment on them as a comparison.

However, compared to the Standard shield, it's like night and day.

One thing I've noticed is that, recently, Tulsa has come out with an adjustable +4" windshield that strongly resembles the Clearview +4, including the adjustability.

That says alot in my book.

I love the Clearview, and when looking thru it, it looks like my auto glass.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
F4 is so clear, you don't know you are looking thru it. The bugs, when in season, just wipe off in seconds with anything at all (wet wipes and you can do it at a stop sign).

The stocker, however, had a "grainy" texture to it and was a pain to look thru. And once "bugged" took a lot of work to clean.

[/url]

·
Read Only
851 Posts
The only problem I have when looking thru the windshield is fogging. It was a little foggy in spots last week, and after about 2-3 miles I could not see a thing thru the shield. I eventually had to stand up to see over it. Anyone got a cure for fogging? RainX Anti Fog seems to have made it worse on my cruiser and some report that the chemicals in RainX cause yellowing and or hazing.

Stan

·
Registered
547 Posts
The only thing I've found to help at all with fogging is to keep the windshield waxed. At least the water droplets bead up and make it easier to see through while they're on the windshield. Then, once you get going faster, they run off more readily.

·
Registered
21 Posts
TALL VERSES STD WINDSHIELD.

BACK FROM A TRIP ACROSS THE USA FROM FL. TO WA. AND BACK.
HAD A TALL TULSA FOR THE TRIP.
GREAT WINDSHIELD FOR BOTH THE DRIVER AND PASSENGER. BUT, GOT CAUGHT OUTSIDE ALBQUERQUE NM. IN A TORRENTIAL RAIN/HAIL STORM. GOT SO MUCH RAIN ON BOTH THE FRONT AND BACK SIDE OF THE WINDSHIELD, I COULD NOT SEE!
FOLLOWED THE UPPER RUNNING LIGHTS OF A TRAILER IN FRONT OF US HOPING THAT HE WOULD NOT RUN OFF THE ROAD.
FIRST THING I DID WHEN I GOT BACK HOME WAS TO INSTALL A MEMPHIS SHADE SHORT SHIELD w/ VENT.
MADE A TRIP TO CT. WITH IT. THERE WAS SO MUCH BUFFITTING FROM IT ESPECIALLY AROUND THE AREA OF MY HEAD SET, THAT I REPLACED IT WITH A TALL VENTED WINDSHIELD THAT I HAD PURCHASED SEVERAL YEARS AGO.
DON'T KNOW WHICH IS THE WORST OF THE TWO EVILS. BUFFITING WHILE BEING ABLE TO SEE OVER, OR NOT BEING ABLE TO SEE THROUGH IT DURING HEAVY RAIN . :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
RainX Anti Fog seems to have made it worse on my cruiser and some report that the chemicals in RainX cause yellowing and or hazing.
That really depends upon your windshield and any coating it may have. Although I'm still looking for a 'wing, I have a Clearview windshiled on my Vulcan 1500. Clearview states, "...is Safe to use Rain-X Original Clear Formula". The same applies to the Goldwing windshield.

·
Read Only
851 Posts
OK all you inventive brain smart types. It's time to invent a MC windshield safe wiper system, or a light weight glass wiper safe windshield. And let us know when you do.

Stan

·
Registered
43 Posts
Like tomfranken I've got the "Windbender." Of the windshields I own and have tried, Bender, Tulsa Tall, and OEM, I prefer the Windbender. For highway riding with no buffeting (and no bubble feel) I've adjusted the Windbender so that I can see the roadbed over the shield to about 80' in front of me. I also have Baker Hand Wings, Wind Wings and Lowers. This setup gives me maximum adjustability with as much air or as little air as I prefer. With my Windbender moved up two clicks from my normal position and the Bakers turned to the closed position my SO can sit on the back and read as we ride without getting her pages ruffled; or when the need arises I can adjust the Baker Wings for a nice cooling cross breeze. These features along with my ECV make Summer rides in the SW uhh.... ok? Oh yeah, I'll comment on rain if it ever really happens here. :roll:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts