GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GL1800 has a Tulsa Extra Tall windshield. I just went to the Diamond Big Boy seat that sits me one inch taller than the stock seat. I am 6'2" tall with a 32" inseam so my height is in my trunk rather than in my legs. As rider, I have moved slightly into the wind stream from the Tulsa sheild. My wife gets a whole lot of wind buffeting around her head and there is a lot of wind noise in the intercom. My wife is only about 5'4" and sits at about the same height I do with the difference in seat elevations.

I am looking for a new windshield that will solve the problem of wind buffeting for my wife. If you have a Cee-Bailey or a Windbender shield, I would appreciate some feedback on how the shield actually impacted your passenger and how adjustable they are. Is bigger better or does a taller shield actually cause more buffeting for the passenger?

Thanks for any feedback you can give me to help me decide which to try next.

Dick

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm 6'3" with a 32" inseam and have a standard tulsa without a vent and a stock seat. :yw1:
Here are some things I did to reduce the buffeting.

One solution is to add another rubber strip between the windshield and the top of the dash so you have a total of two. This will raise the top of the windshield up a little.
A solution to help your passanger, is to add mirror wings either the Tulsa or Baker ones.
Another one for you is to add the VP accessories Tunnel Filter which will reduce the wind on your face.

http://www.tulsaenterprises.com/1800.html
http://www.vpaccessories.com/1800.htm

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you don't have mirror wings yet, get a pair, either Tulsa or Baker. I prefer the looks of the Tulsa, but the Baker are reputed to work just as well. Best 30.00 I ever spent on my wing. :)

The BakerBilt Wing-Wings help some too, although they are designed more to control air for hot and cool conditions.

The WindBender works well for those of us that like to look OVER the shield, rather than through it, but it isn't quite as quiet behind mine as behind my wife's Tulsa. I've never ridden double on hers, but she reports no buffeting at all while riding on mine with the Windbender. I'm 6'1'', 32" inseam. I think my wife is about 5'9", seat is OEM.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
6'2", 32 1/2" inseam, wife 5'4", have Diamond Big Boy. Use a Cee Baileys +4" shield all the way up with Tulsa mirror wings turned backward because she said they work better for her that way. We are happy but I'm thinking of getting a CB +7" because I have adjusted to looking thru the shield.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Dick,
If she is getting wind in the face area it is coming from under the mirrors, our Mirror Air Deflectors address this by turning the air down and away from the motorcycle and are extremely effective.

This could also be were part of the buffeting is coming from.

As was mentioned, you can add an additional gasket to raise it some, this will help you and her, especially if the seat raised her also.

Some of these other taller windshields can significantly impact the fuel mileage and buffeting on the motorcycle, bigger is not always better, :cry: as with barn doors, the bigger it is the more air it has to push, that is one of the reasons for the configuration of our windshield.

If you have any questions, please give us a call. 800-824-6566 We will do what we can to recommend a solution that will make you and her more comfortable.
Ride Safe,
Allen

·
Registered
810 Posts
Tulsa Wings

You already got Allen's response on this and he's on target.

My wife got buffeting with my regular Tulsa and was getting wind burn on her face a lot. The Tulsa mirror wings helped a lot. She said it moved the wing back off her face to just outside the helmet area and she's grateful.

Another item that helps, but the mirror wings should be first, is either Baker Air Wings or Tulsa Air Wings. I have the Tulsa's and am pleased though honestly I think the Baker's are superior. Either, however, will help direct that wing away as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help

Thanks to all of you who responded.

Allen, I have ordered the Tulsa Mirror Wings to replace the Baker Built ones that I have now to see if they help her any. If not, I may be calling for other ideas.

Don, most of the modifications I have made are based on your information to make the bike comfortable for me. Your information will have me trying a Cee Baily if I need more than the Mirror Wings.

Thanks again to all of you.

Dick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts