GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Vendor
21,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else ever noticed this?

It rained here today and I sill have Dunlops on the bike, so I got bored and decided to wax the bike. In the process, I discovered that the windshield garnish panel doesn't line up properly on the right side. After careful examination, it appears that the panel was not molded correctly, and so it won't ever line up the same as it does on the left side. And yes, I checked to make sure it was installed correctly and the grommets were in place properly. Its mounted correct, the plastic just isn't shaped properly for it to line up.

It isn't a huge deal and I guess I could live with it, but I am borderline on whether it is worth taking it to a dealer and asking them to order a new panel. If I am going to do it, I guess I should do it now while the bike is new before the paint fades and a new one won't match the color anymore.

Here is a look at the left side. It lines up properly.

Here is the right side

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I had two different Tulsa shields on the bike over the years and both distorted the Garnish and Dash due to their thick and rigid forms.

With the OEM shield on it went back to the proper fit as it now does with the VStream.

With that said I have seen several 1800's over the past 8 years with ill fitting Plastic in various positions, all of which can be taken care of under Warranty if it is objectionable.
Of course with that "Rare" Special Edition Blue you have it may be a long wait for Honda to cough one up. ;)

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
My 08 is tight on both sides also. When mine was about 2 days old and I was detailing it I found the right side of the meter panel did not fit tight against the bike, the far right side by the speaker grill had a tab that is suppose to slide into a hole to hold it tight but mine wouldn't snap in, The dealer had to order a new meter panel visor, meter panel and visor B NH1. Parts # 64265-MCA-A60ZA & 64240-MCA-A60ZA and 64255-MCA-A61ZA, So stuff does happen at the factory and sometimes things don't go into place like they should.

·
Vendor
21,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The thick plottens.

I decided to go back out to garage and pull it all apart again and check everything one more time.

The panel is fine. It wasn't linning up properly because a tab on the release mechanism for the windshield had slipped out of position. Once I adjusted it so the metal tab was in the right place, it all lined up like it should. The stud that the windsheild garnish bolts to is attached to this mechanism, so if the mechanism is not in place properly, it will affect how the garnish fits on the bike. Seems like I never run out of new things to learn about this bike.

Here is the right side tab shown out of position.

Here is the left side tab, shown in the PROPER position.
Notice it is resting on TOP of the bar, not below or to the side.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
You are one observant son of a gun. Good catch. Thanks.

The thick plottens.

I decided to go back out to garage and pull it all apart again and check everything one more time.

The panel is fine. It wasn't linning up properly because a tab on the release mechanism for the windshield had slipped out of position. Once I adjusted it so the metal tab was in the right place, it all lined up like it should. The stud that the windsheild garnish bolts to is attached to this mechanism, so if the mechanism is not in place properly, it will affect how the garnish fits on the bike. Seems like I never run out of new things to learn about this bike.

Here is the right side tab shown out of position.

Here is the left side tab, shown in the PROPER position.
Notice it is resting on TOP of the bar, not below or to the side.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Glad U went and looked again because I was ready to tell U the picture looked to me like something on the inside was amiss!
Wouldn't be a warped panel.
Looked like it was being pushed out/up.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Fred my 2007 does the same thing, I'll check that, thanks. BTW Fred how do you adjust it to fit propperly?

S

·
0 Posts
I had two different Tulsa shields on the bike over the years and both distorted the Garnish and Dash due to their thick and rigid forms.

With the OEM shield on it went back to the proper fit...

;)
Exact same results here with my Tulsa !

·
Registered
846 Posts
Fred, I'm surprised you didn't read about the proper positioning of this part in the official Honda service manual. ;) It's right on the lower right side of page 3-13 in my 2008 Honda GL1800 service manual. I remember my 2001 GL1800 service manual had the same illustration.

·
Vendor
21,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fred, I'm surprised you didn't read about the proper positioning of this part in the official Honda service manual. ;) It's right on the lower right side of page 3-13 in my 2008 Honda GL1800 service manual. I remember my 2001 GL1800 service manual had the same illustration.
Yes, I had seen that many times over the years and was well aware of it. What I didn't realize was that if it was in the wrong position, it would cause the windsheild garnish not to fit properly.

In the old 2002 manual, there actually was an error in the drawing (shown below), which I posted on here many years ago. It showed the tabs in the opposite position on page 2-7 of the 02 manual. Here is the drawing from the old manual, which I believe is wrong. The drawing has since been corrected, and now shows the tabs in the proper orientation in the newer manuals.

Here is what is now printed in the Honda set up document for the dealers.

I also posted this photo back in 2003 to try to show the proper position of the tab (mirror was removed for photo). Also, if you look at the photo from my 09 above, you will notice the lower fairing tab has been changed, and appears stronger.

One thing that surprises me is that I have not removed this part on my 2009 bike. And it wasn't like this when I took delivery. Somewhere along the way, the tab managed to get positioned past the stop it is meant to ride on and slip down. The only thing I can figure is that it happened when I loosened the clamps to adjust the windshield height.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have the same problem with my stock shield. I put it up all the way and it will always ends up all the way down after riding for a day or so. I want to tighten the linkage so it will stay in position. HOW DO YOU TAKE THE SECTION OFF TO ACCESS THE ASSEMBLIES? I have done the (up and down) or (down and up procedure) for the ratcheting system but it does no good. :bow: Thanks for any help

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I have done that not once, not twice, but three times. Each time I saw the bulge in the garnish and knew that I had screwed up and had to take it apart again.

I will learn one of these days.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I'll bet that you won't find that problem on the ones shipped from Japan!

·
Vendor
21,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HOW DO YOU TAKE THE SECTION OFF TO ACCESS THE ASSEMBLIES?
There are two 10mm bolts under the mirrors that hold on the front windshield garnish. You can fold the mirrors to make it easier to get to them. Peel back the rubber cover on the mirrors, remove the bolts, and then carefully pry the tabs on the garnish over the mounting studs and then pull the garnish forward and off. The garnish has studs that fit into rubber grommets underneath, and they will pry out.

Don't drop the bolts or you will be sorry. You would be wise to stuff rags in the hole under them before you start in case you drop one.

It is covered in the manual under Windshield in the Frame/body panel section.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I'll bet that you won't find that problem on the ones shipped from Japan!
You don't see it from Marysville either. It's caused by knucklehead owners that don't put their bikes back together properly. (I'm one of the knuckleheads.)

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
I have the same problem with my stock shield. I put it up all the way and it will always ends up all the way down after riding for a day or so. I want to tighten the linkage so it will stay in position. HOW DO YOU TAKE THE SECTION OFF TO ACCESS THE ASSEMBLIES? I have done the (up and down) or (down and up procedure) for the ratcheting system but it does no good. :bow: Thanks for any help
Ray, the linkage that Fred is showing doesn't actually hold the windshield from going up and down. The rachet assembly holds it in place. It sounds like your adjuster body has lost it's ratchet arm. This is common on the 01-05 bikes. Honda fixed this with an upgraded adjuster body on the later bikes.

Ray here is a good set of pictures and one way to fix this condition.
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2176186&postcount=7

1 - 20 of 35 Posts