GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was reinstalling my windshield this afternoon and after I was complete I locked it and I can still pull the windshield up pretty easy. I took it all back apart and back to get her several time....watched a YouTube just to verify I was doing it right when I noticed I was missing the rubber shims. I guess they all fell off durning shipment, any suggestions what I can use ?

Also, If I was to just replace this windshield with a new tinted one....which brand should I look at.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Those rubber shims are shown as an available part from Honda, so you should be able to replace them. They also wear out and get dirty and slippery over time, causing the windshield to not be held in place.

I was reinstalling my windshield this afternoon and after I was complete I locked it and I can still pull the windshield up pretty easy. I took it all back apart and back to get her several time....watched a YouTube just to verify I was doing it right when I noticed I was missing the rubber shims. I guess they all fell off durning shipment, any suggestions what I can use ?

Also, If I was to just replace this windshield with a new tinted one....which brand should I look at.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those rubber shims are shown as an available part from Honda, so you should be able to replace them. They also wear out and get dirty and slippery over time, causing the windshield to not be held in place.

That’s good to know....Thank You

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I had not read anything about this issue in a long time. I assumed it had been resolved. it was common on the early GL1800s.

When those rubber pads are new, they grip and stick like a muther. When you would unclamp the levers, the pads would stay stuck to the windshield. As soon as you moved the windshield up, it would pull the pads from their mounts and drop down on the pavement. Once they get a little road dirt on them, they stop sticking. It was usually the outer two pads, but any of them could get stuck.

If the pads are in place but the shield still won't clamp, the problem is usually because the clamp brackets are bent. They can bend just by removing or reinstalling the nuts. The wrench will twist them. They are so weak that they can easily be bent back by hand.

That brought back memories!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It worked fine before I removed the windshield, the pads are in place but there is a strong 1/8” between the pads and windshield after locked down. I did not see anything bent, I thought there were rubber pads under the windshield on those raised humps as well after watching an install of an aftermarket windshield.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
It worked fine before I removed the windshield, the pads are in place but there is a strong 1/8” between the pads and windshield after locked down. I did not see anything bent, I thought there were rubber pads under the windshield on those raised humps as well after watching an install of an aftermarket windshield.
There are some black teflon tape strips under the windshield. They do not typically fall off, although I imagine if the bike was sitting in a hot enough sun, the glue could melt.

The brackets never do look bent, because there is no sight line reference to go by. Not saying that is your problem. It's just a possibility to consider. If it worked before you started, and doesn't now, that is what I would suspect.

·
Registered
872 Posts
When I had my 1500 I had that issue too. I used a piece of weather stripping 1/8” or 3/16”, can’t remember for sure. I may need to do same to my 1800 windshield. Ran the strip along the windshield shelter and worked great.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are some black teflon tape strips under the windshield. They do not typically fall off, although I imagine if the bike was sitting in a hot enough sun, the glue could melt.

The brackets never do look bent, because there is no sight line reference to go by. Not saying that is your problem. It's just a possibility to consider. If it worked before you started, and doesn't now, that is what I would suspect.
I’m going to work on this again today, it’s got to be bent at the ends of the hold down where it bolts to the levers. I’m going to bend the ends so it pulls the hold down on the windshield when it in the released position, when in the lock position it should apply pressure.

All that’s left of the Teflon strips is the tape resido.

When I had my 1500 I had that issue too. I used a piece of weather stripping 1/8” or 3/16”, can’t remember for sure. I may need to do same to my 1800 windshield. Ran the strip along the windshield shelter and worked great.
Thanks, I’m going work on it more today. I’m going to Lowe’s and pick up some stuff.

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
The glide tape is important for a smooth and protected slide. Be sure to replace it, but only after removing all of its sticky.

All the rubber pieces on the underside of the windscreen holder need to be there. However, when reinstalling the windscreen holder/garnish, most don't install the downward ends of the windscreen holder correctly in relation to the stay. Unfortunately I'm not able to paste a picture from the Service Manual > Frame/Body Panels/Exhaust System > Windscreen > holder plate.

For proper fitment, the holder plate must be positioned correctly. Hopefully someone will post a picture for you. Do not bend anything until you see it.

Also, be sure to be looking at the drawing for the year Wing you are working on. 2001-05 is different the 2006-17.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did not remove the hold down plate when I took off the windshield so I have no idea of what happened between removal and reinstall. I took it back apart and took the hold down plate off, I was looking at the curve and how the pads looked in the curvature. What I noticed was it was not a consistent curve/arch and half the pads did not look even as in relation to the curve/arch. I did a couple of things

1. I did dolly the hold down plate a little to even out the curve/arch so the pads would make an even contact with the windshield, this did work but there was even gap between the windshield and pads....So step 2

2. I took it back apart and removed the 3/4” shim that is on the cam/handle and cut 3/16” off of both shims.

All of this worked and now it works as it should, I’m going to order all new rubber grommets, pads, shims and what ever else. Also the Teflon pads were still there but need replacing so I’ll see if I can order those as well.

Right wrong or indiffer it works now.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Soft half of Velcrow works well for lining where shield meets dash.
I have Velcro at the dash, but it does need to be replaced as it is getting messed up

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Right wrong or indiffer it works now.
At least it is working for now. However, you should not have had to adjust the bolts at the levers, so something is still not right.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 19 of 19 Posts