GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little disappointed with the degree of helmet buffeting I'm getting. It isn't as bad with the Nolan convertable helmet as with the Arai Quantum II, but it's still enough that it would be fatiguing on a long ride on the freeway at 70 or more mph. I have tried it at different heights, from all the way up to all the way down and in between. Higher seems to be better, but then I'm looking through the windshield rather than over it. If I duck my head down it goes away, which tells me that a taller windshield would be better for long trips, even though I'd be looking through it completely. I would do that if it would stop the head shaking. I don't want to give up adjustability or the vent option for hot weather.

Has anyone used the Cee Bailey taller windshields? Another 3" or so would do it I think, yet still give me the option of setting it low enough to look over it when not on the freeway on long trips.

Experiences - good, bad, indifferent?

Thanks!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm 5'9" and have a Arai Corsair with no buffeting. I guess you must be taller than I.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm 5'9" and have a Arai Corsair with no buffeting. I guess you must be taller than I.
Yes I am. About 3" taller. And the helmet models might be a bit different.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Baker hand wings seem to help a great deal with the buffeting. You might give them a try.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
................................................................................

·
IronMan
17,463 Posts
Dont think airwings help much on drivers head-passenger yes . Check out optic armor +4 same as f4 but over $100 less. .great reviews - good luck

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
The helmet debate really depends on several factors. How tall are you? What is your inseam? What type of helmet do you wear? What brand of windshield do you have and where do you have it adjusted. It all can affect the buffeting issue.

I am 6' 2" tall with a 33" inseam. I prefer to look over the top of a windshield rather than through it. I had a Tulsa OEM+4 on my 2007 that definitely provided all the wind protection when at the highest setting, but I had to look through the windshield. Also, I was not pleased with the quality of the material used in the Tulsa. It was not coated and could get fine scratches very easy from dust and other contaminates.

I finally settled on a V-Stream SE. I am on my second one (one on my 2007 and one on my 2012). The material is far superior than my Tulsa was. The coating resists scratches and the RainZip sheds water very well. I also like the style of the V-Stream, it looks like it belongs on the Goldwing.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a VStream that I just adapted to a motorized Ergomont windshield set up.. Best of both, I can raise it up or down on the fly wind depending..

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Opening the vent in the windshield helps with the buffeting.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. All good information. I've bookmarked the pages for all the products mentioned.

I am reluctant to give up the ability to adjust the height, as I don't always want to look through the windshield - only when on the freeway when it's required. I'll try opening the vent next time I'm at speed and see what that does, along with the Nolan helmet set up as an open face.

So, no one has tried the Cee Bailey setup?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Wind

I have tried most windshields and have gone back to the Tulsa, extra tall and as far as I am concerned it is the best one.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Give Adam at Rocket Moto down in Hollis a call. He has a Wing with a WindBender on it he would probably let you try out. He also has lots of other interesting stuff for Goldwings you might be interested in.
He's maybe 15 minutes away from you, depending on where in Merrimack you live.

www.rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have a Vstream on mine and love it. I am just down the road from you in Tyngsboro MA and you are welcome to take my bike for a ride if you want to try it.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Give Adam at Rocket Moto down in Hollis a call. He has a Wing with a WindBender on it he would probably let you try out. He also has lots of other interesting stuff for Goldwings you might be interested in.
He's maybe 15 minutes away from you, depending on where in Merrimack you live.

www.rocketmoto.com
Yes, Adam does great work. I had him do my Full Monty and now going to the Mega Monty in a few weeks. He is about 2 hours +- from my home so it is not real convenient but gets me away for an overnight. I take it down on Friday and pick it up Saturday. I actually enjoy the overnight by myself for a change. Can really relax. There was a post on here about an adjustable electric shield, not windbender. It looked really nice but pricey. http://www.bikemp3.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=xscreen

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a Vstream on mine and love it. I am just down the road from you in Tyngsboro MA and you are welcome to take my bike for a ride if you want to try it.
WOW! That's incredibly generous. Maybe when I get a few more miles on the Wing, and the weather gets better. Thanks!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts