GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm new to this list. I just bought a used 2002 GL1800 and am not totally satisfied with the windshield.

Any suggested options out there?

Thanks,

·
Registered
837 Posts
You don't say exactly what your dissatisfaction is, but if it's too short for you, you can go with either the Tulsa http://www.tulsaenterprises.com/ , or the Hondaline extra tall windshield like I did. I'm very happy with my extra tall. It looks exactly the same as the stock shield, and is still adjustable.

You'll get lots of suggestions, good luck and have fun with your new bike.
Your gonna love it once you get it accessorized to sute your taste.

Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
As Jim said, welcome to the board!

Without knowing exactly what your complaint is, it's hard to give a recommendation. I'm guessing that you have more buffeting and disturbance at speed, especially if you're carrying a passenger?

There a few "common" options: (there are probably others I'm not familiar with)
  • Tulsa Enterprises has a few versions if you like to look through the shield
    Windbenderhas a few styles of their two-piece shields, and just announced an electrically-adjustable version
    Cee Bailey'shas a replacement that includes a vent that helps smooth out the airflow on the backside of the windshield.
This is a very personal choice, and you may get many opinions. I based my purchase of the Cee Bailey shield on the fact that I ride in a lot of rain (Seattle area) and don't want to look through a wet shield, and the opinions of people I trusted like Fred H. and Topster who have multiple shields and had tried them all. My wife is very happy now when she rides with me, and that's the most important thing for me.

Good luck in your quest - maybe you could hook up with a local group and at least see what the various aftermarket units look like?

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Clearview is one option. This is from an email from them, that I received just today. I had a Clearview on a previous Honda, and was pleased with it.

www.clearviewshields.com

HON-G804 / Honda GL1800 Grand Tour +4" Tall +1.5" wider each side

Clearview Shields now manufactures stock and oversized replacements for the Honda GL1800. All screens are constructed of .177" thick High Impact strength plastic. Contoured to match the stock screen with all stock adjustments intact. Stock height as well as shorter than stock options are among your choices of heights. We also have developed a Grand Tour model which is 3.5" taller than stock and 1.5" wider on each side. Any replacement is available in clear or light gray tint, and can be modified to your exact dimensional needs, within reason.

HON-G800 Honda GL1800 Stock $132.20
HON-G802 Honda GL1800 Grand Tour +2" Tall +1.5" wider each side $132.20
HON-G804 Honda GL1800 Grand Tour +4" Tall +1.5" wider each side $149.14
HON-G80S Honda GL1800 Short -1.5" height +1.5" each side $127.45

Prices include shipping within the 48 contiguous United States.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I knew there were others that I didn't know about!! :lol:

Just goes to prove the depth of my ignorance... :wink:[/b]

·
Registered
837 Posts
I like that. That's a good looking windshield. I think it's the extra width that makes it look right. I'll have to look into this one when I replace mine. That is, if I replace mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

Sorry I forgot to mention why I didn't like it but one of you guessed. It's the head and shoulder buffetting that my wife gets while riding with me.

I've heard that Stealth Edging may help but also wanted to look at other windshields.

Jay

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
that clearview windsheild does look real good on the 1800.

the size looks right

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Under mirror wings

Thanks Cycledude,

I'll look into those but they may not fit as I have some auxiliary driving lights mounted under the mirrors. It will depend upon how deep the mirror wings are.

Jay Anderson

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
cycledude said:
the Tulsa under mirror wings may be the answer to your passengers buffeting problem,the installation is simple and the price is only about $30

http://hondadirectlineusa.com/stores/pr ... D=29838829 be sure to read the reviews
These make a big difference for my wife when I mount them backwards. And they can be moved sideways to let air in, and in the manufacturers suggested position when my wife is not on. Allen at Tulsa says no to the adjustments, but I have over 20,000 miles on mine with no problems.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Me too

Yes I like the looks of the screen also. I wonder if thats the clear ? The price seems to be in the ballpark also.

·
Registered
81 Posts
tall windshield

I'm really tall & have a long back. I usually do not have a passenger (I know many passengers like Tulsa's) and I like the tall Honda windshield. Dealer traded me for very little when the stock shield was still unused. I like that I can still adjust the windshield up & down. I generally wear a full face helmet. Down when I want more air & up when its cold / raining. I'm 6'-4" tall with 33" inseam.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts