GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gl1800
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Use 210 polish now but the price went up. Read Pledge furniture works but is hard to buff out? Looking for something from a regular auto parts store I can just go in and buy. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've been looking into this as well. Nothing tried yet, but did read about Pledge.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Walmart stores carry spray can motorcycle cleaner-polish for $5 in the motorcycle section, I’ve been using it for a couple years and it seems to work great.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Are you looking for polish or a cleaner? For cleaning, Pledge works very well, just don't wipe in circles as that's what creates the swirls that make seeing at night difficult. For polishing, Plexis is great for cleaning and polishing (about $30 a can, so not cheap), but other products like Meguiars PlastX works also.

Reactions: CAWing and Hoopdc

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
When I bought one of the Concours I had the prior owner had installed a Cee Bailey windshield and it came with a bottle of their cleaner/polish. Since they are big into the aircraft windshields I figured it would be great stuff. Didn't care much for the distortion of the w/s and the polish didn't seem to do much either. Put the Rifle w/s from the other C10 on it and was happier.
Mixture or Rain X and Bug Off windshield washer solution works very well for normal cleaning and sheds/beads water very well.

Reactions: heavydust

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
I wash mine with good ole soap and water.................And then when I wax my bike (which is usually every time it rains, I sit in my garage and give her a total wax'ing that also includes the windshield....SO
When I get caught in the rain while I'm riding, the rain water on my shield just rolls off...............

Ronnie

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've been looking into this as well. Nothing tried yet, but did read about Pledge.

On my 92 1500 and 01 1800 all I ever used besides soap and water was Pledge. It did a better job than the Honda spray which is also a great product. Both bikes had 112k and 46k miles before leaving my garage to the unknown. Actually sold the 1500 for $200 less than what I paid for it some 8 years earlier and with that money bought the 01 which was totaled in 05. Both bikes look like knew until the lady ran over the 1800. No I was not on it. It was parked.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I wash mine with good ole soap and water.................And then when I wax my bike (which is usually every time it rains, I sit in my garage and give her a total wax'ing that also includes the windshield....SO
When I get caught in the rain while I'm riding, the rain water on my shield just rolls off...............

Ronnie
Pledge does that for me. Runs off the windshield so good that it is a nuisance when it comes over the top.

·
Registered
2003 gl1800
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Walmart stores carry spray can motorcycle cleaner-polish for $5 in the motorcycle section, I’ve been using it for a couple years and it seems to work great.
Can you please give a little more information,this may be what I am looking for thanks!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I use the Honda spray polish cleaner on the rest of the bike and do the windshield too. Glad to hear Walmart has a more reasonable version, however I haven't seen it yet.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Are you looking for polish or a cleaner? For cleaning, Pledge works very well, just don't wipe in circles as that's what creates the swirls that make seeing at night difficult. For polishing, Plexis is great for cleaning and polishing (about $30 a can, so not cheap), but other products like Meguiars PlastX works also.
I'm looking for getting scratches out.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Use 210 polish now but the price went up. Read Pledge furniture works but is hard to buff out? Looking for something from a regular auto parts store I can just go in and buy. Thanks for your input!
I've been using 210 for about 15 years. Tried Plexus but it always leaves a film. Don't like it. Probably okay for the body that you do not have to look through, not good enough for me on the windshield.

How much are you paying for 210? It is $15 for a 14 oz can on Amazon. Several years ago (10 or more) I bought it by the case from Sumner Labs and back then it was $11.00 per can. Economy being what it is, the prices have gone up. As far as I am concerned, it is worth the price.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I guess living very rural, we don't have a motorcycle section. I'll look around for it. I like that price .

1 - 20 of 36 Posts