GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to pick up a 2012 wing. I was wondering what position the factory sets the windshield? One up from the bottom? I prefer to see over the windshield.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
The windshield is not installed at the factory. It is done at the dealership when they do final assembly of the bike. There is no standard position for it to be in when delivered, although I have seen that most dealers put them down all the way, probably to keep them from getting scratched on the showroom floor. When the salesman goes over the bike with you, he will show you how to raise and lower it. Just make sure you lower it before you leave. Takes all of 5 seconds.

From the factory, the bike is shipped without the windshield, mirrors, seat, battery, and side covers installed.

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
:thumbup:Ditto what Larry said

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The windshield is not installed at the factory. It is done at the dealership when they do final assembly of the bike. There is no standard position for it to be in when delivered, although I have seen that most dealers put them down all the way, probably to keep them from getting scratched on the showroom floor. When the salesman goes over the bike with you, he will show you how to raise and lower it. Just make sure you lower it before you leave. Takes all of 5 seconds.

From the factory, the bike is shipped without the windshield, mirrors, seat, battery, and side covers installed.
Now you've got me worried about the dealership doing all that assembly. Hope they don't screw it up. Oh well, this will be the only time for my bike.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I won't sit hear and blow sunshine up your butt by telling you that all will be fine. Dealers DO screw up the final assy from time to time, and if that dealer has an apprentice tech, they are the ones doing the work. (That's how they learn the trade)

Most of the assembly issues people whine about here were the result of dealer assembly problems, not screwups at the factory. The guy who assmembled my bike used a #2 screwdriver on the mirror bolts and tore up 3 of them. (They are #3 Philips heads) Also, the bike had virtually no rear end oil in it, and the tires only had 20 lbs of air in them.

But odds are, your bike will be fine. There are many more good assembly techs out there than there are lousy ones. It is a good idea to go over the bike before you leave the parking lot if you are driving any distance. And go over it more thoroughly when you get home.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Several bikes, only one problem

I've purchased several new bikes from dealers, and only once had any issue - gas tank overfilled on v-strom. Yes, occasionally there is a screw up, but usually a relatively minor isssue that can easily be resolved. Don't worry about the dealer setting up the bike. Enjoy your new ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts