GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Have you tried lifting it above the top notch and then let it back down? If it's in the top notch and you try to push it down, it won't go. Lift it all the way up and then let it go to the bottom.

·
Registered
759 Posts
yeh..what andy said...pull up on the windshield as far as it will go..then shove it down as far as it will go...then raise it to whatever level you want it at...oh yeh..dont forget to unlock the levers to raise or lower..lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand how the windshield is supposed to operate. I have been using it for 3 years; and it has been fine until now--------Thanks for the advise anyway.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ben, sounds like one or more of the rubber stays may have come out and jammed the windshield. If that is what happened, you'll have to take off the front fairing section to fix it. One thing I did when I had the front apart was to use a Radio Shack item called Gel Lube to lubricate all the windshield adjustment slots and parts. It slides very easily now and that was two years ago.

·
Registered
21,049 Posts
Sounds like some internal parts may have failed,If it's still under warranty a good dealler will fix it for free under warranty.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Read about this problem on another forum. When you lift the windshield up above the last notch, you engage the release mechanism that allows the windshield to slide back down. In this other persons case, the mechanism was just stuck. Still had to take the front fairing appart to fix it.

Regards,

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I had this happen right after I got mine,and didn't want to take the time to go back to the dealer.
If I remember correctly,one of the screws had come loose and allowed one of the oblong washers to come out of it's slot in the windshield.

The panel under the windshield comes off with a screw on each side under the mirror housing,and two tabs in the lower front.Once you get the panel off,it can be fixed with a phillips screwdriver.
don't drop the screws under the mirror housing into the fairing.They will be lost forever. (this I know!)

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
When I got my 1800, there was a plastic 'tape' that was hanging out in places between the dash and the windshield. One day, I pulled it out, and now the windshield sticks to the dash; must have some glue left in there. I take my w'shield and rock it back and forth, and it finally starts to move. One of these days, I will take it apart and fix that problem. Might be the same prob that you've got. :?:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts