GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a few weeks ago about the windshield on my 2005 wing de-laminating. I'm not sure if de-laminating is the correct word to describe what is happening to my shield. On the side towards the driver, it has become cloudy. I can scrape it with my fingernail and it is clear underneath. It is worse towards the edges. I have never used anything other than Honda Polish, Plexus, water, and peroxide. The bike has only 20,000 + miles and is garaged when not being ridden.

Two weeks ago, I took it to my dealer to see if it was covered under warranty. He looked at it and said he had not seen that before and would have to call the Honda rep about it. He finally called me back today and said that Honda will not warranty my windshield. He would not give me the reps phone number, but said that he would call me and let me know when he is coming again.

I Would like to hear from anyone experiencing this type of windshield problem, and of how you handled it.

Joe

· Registered
77 Posts
I have an 03 and it's doing much the same thing. I didn't notice it until about a month ago. I have about 39k and I too keep it in the garage unless I'm riding it or parking it at work on average 3 days a week. I park in the shade of the building or in the shade most of the time. I have not investigated it yet but have been wondering about it. Mine is not as bad as yours, it's close to the top and about 2" wide and covers about 1/3. If you find out what can be done about it let me know. I guess I'll be changing it out in the next year or so if it get too bad.

· Registered
679 Posts
"Delamination" technically is the separation of the plastic from the two layers of glass in automotive windshields. As the plastic is exposed to the atmosphere, it becomes cloudy. Because the plastic is between the glass layers, one cannot clean it. You apparently have another problem with your windshield, possibly caused by a chemical from a cleaner, polish, etc.

· Registered
246 Posts
There are products out in the market that will take care of this problem. However, when using these products be gentle as they are abrasives. You can find them in auto parts stores. I have used Flitz on plastic headlights and it works very well.
Have you ever noticed those headlight lens that look either yellow or almost white? Flitz made the ones I have cleaned off look like new.
BTW, I think that peroxide did your shielg in. Ever see peroxide on your bare skin?

· Registered
3,033 Posts
Here are a few comments on the Honda shield......
It actually is a bit like de-lamination of two layers.
That's because the Honda shield has a hardened surface layer to resist scratching.
You will NOT be able to use the typical "surface polishing" kits or devices
to totally resurrect your Honda windshield because...
When you attempt to polish out the damaged area...
you will wear more of the surface layer off while at the same time
eating into the softer acrylic layer where the hard layer is deteriorating.
It WILL allow you to remove the crazed/deteriorating surface and polish the base acrylic underneath...
but there will be that line all around the area where it transitions
from the hard to soft surface. The more you work it....the more it will spread.
If, by some chance, the hard top layer is just mildly damaged...
using a foam pad and mild compound, on a low speed buffer, can finesse
the surface back to clear without buffing through that layer.

It would probably be about as cost effective to just pick up a good used shield
off someone who has replaced theirs with some aftermarket brand.
Generally there are a number of new "changed out" shields on the web.

· Registered
560 Posts
Peroxide? Why? I'm wondering if that might be it. Do not use anything other than honda spray polish, dishwashing soap and water or protect-all on the plexi.
Peroxide will never hurt your windshield. It only affects living or dead
matter... like bug guts... its about the best bug cleaner for the
evil love bugs in florida...

:cool:

· Registered
354 Posts
This might be a factor:
Quote "In a publication about "Healthy Homes," the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) listed hydrogen peroxide as among the substances that can be used against mold, but also said there had not been enough research to recommend its use. It is not known what molds hydrogen peroxide is most effective against or what the human health hazards may be from using it so extensively. Also, since hydrogen peroxide is a bleach, be careful where you use it in terms of preserving the colors in your home."

· Registered
4,007 Posts
I have used peroxide on human blood on a carpet surface and it doesn't bleach it out. Also used it on dark blue pants and it doesn't cause the fabric to bleach out.

You may want to be more specific on what is bleaching out. :shrug:

· Registered
77 Posts
My shield started to delaminate...took it to my local dealer...Honda replaced it...no questions asked. Mine in an '07. Maybe yours was past the three year point. I got mine by using a high pressure car wash, I won't do that again.

· Registered
4,703 Posts
a. It is not really "delaminating", the hard coating is coming off. This normally happens when someone uses a product like RainX on it. It cannot be reversed or corrected.
b. It is not Acrylic, it is polycarbonate. If it were acrylic, it would probably not be coated and you could polish out scratches.
c. If you have treated it in accordance with Honda's instructions, Honda should replace it. Obscuring your vision is a safety issue, and you might want to point out the liability to the dealer and rep.
d. If Honda doesn't replace it, you should. You need undistorted vision. Although I am having good service from my original Honda shield, it will be replaced with an acrylic shield when it is no longer good.

· Registered
3,033 Posts
a. It is not really "delaminating", the hard coating is coming off. This normally happens when someone uses a product like RainX on it. It cannot be reversed or corrected.
b. It is not Acrylic, it is polycarbonate. If it were acrylic, it would probably not be coated and you could polish out scratches.
c. If you have treated it in accordance with Honda's instructions, Honda should replace it. Obscuring your vision is a safety issue, and you might want to point out the liability to the dealer and rep.
d. If Honda doesn't replace it, you should. You need undistorted vision. Although I am having good service from my original Honda shield, it will be replaced with an acrylic shield when it is no longer good.
Thanks pidj..... I thought that was a polycarbonate base and didn't even think about it when I said Acrylic in my post.

· Registered
3,382 Posts
There is a clear film on the inside of stock Wing windshields. If exposed to the sun and elements over a period of time it will get a miky finish. I have actually removed the entire film on the inside of the stock windshield of my '94 SE. I took about a week with the use on a compound and finally polishing. If I had to do it over again, I would buy another windshield.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.