GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this bike in April, and it had an aftermarket windshield on it. I asked the dealer to contact the P.O. and ask him if he still had the stock windshield..."no". So, not knowing what windshield I had on the bike (turns out it's a TULSA, but don't know what model), I didn't know if this thing was overly tall, or the seat height was really low because I'm looking through the shield, and there's still 4" more to the top.
I don't particularly like looking through it, and prefer looking OVER it, so I bought a used STOCK windshield and installed it. First thing I noticed, was how my helmet was being buffeted around in the wind. So, I raised it up a little, and it got better, but still the buffeting. Raised it all the way and it's still bumpy, but now I can't see over, and am forced to look through it again. I like the tall TULSA in the cold air, since it's really calm air, and makes the cold air tolerable, but in the summertime, I'm sweltering!!!
IS THERE A WINDSHIELD MADE THAT STOPS THE WIND BUFFETING THAT I CAN STILL SEE OVER?

I'm looking for the following attributes:
1) Look over, and not through it
2) No wind buffeting my helmet making my eyes rattle around
3) Has a vent in the windshield, or at least the hole for one.

Steve F

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I don't know how tall you are, but I'm a short-waisted 5'9" and the stock windshield on my 03 works great. I lower it all the way in the summer and up all the way in winter.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm 6'0" and I now have the stock shield all the way up, and have to look through it, not what I'd like. I was wondering if HONDA stock windshields came WITH the vent, was and option, or if that was an aftermarket thing that would help with the buffeting. I have an extra vent that maybe would work if the curve is right, but not sure if it's something that could reduce the buffeting and the hot air in the summer.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Well, I was going to say Windbender, but it does'nt have the vent option. Unless you cut one out yourself...

Mark

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
From my experience (with OEM-without vent, F4+4-with vent and Tulsa Extra Tall-without vent), I am afraid you are out of luck. I also test rode a windbender equipped bike and didn't care for the buffeting it produced, and with the windbender, you don't need a vent.

After trying a shield with a vent, I do not care for a vent. I THINK my next shield will be a stock-sized F4 (without vent) due to its scratch resistant coating and it retains the ability to move up and down.

IMO, the vent does very little, if anything, to reduce buffeting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts