GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it really needed? I know the track is, but does it really need the ratchet mechanism? I normally have the windshield all the way down. Even two-up most times, unless she is getting cold wind or beating rain, then it's all the way up. Mine keeps getting stuck at the top. Looking at some of the other post I've noticed a part of mine is missing already. Do you think I can remove the rest of it and just use *the track? The binders seem to be what is holding it in place anyway.*

I know I know, I might be a redneck.:shrug:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have not looked inside but, my experience with cars is the "track" is what guides the window and keeps it straight while raising, lowering and supports the weight of the windshield. I guess the binders would hold for a period of time. Seems to me after a period of time the constant bouncing over bumps would lessen the effect of the binders and eventually they would not hold the windshield.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
There is a fix for that little L shaped piece of metal that falls out and is apparently missing. I never had a problem until I changed windshields and now my L shaped metal piece has fallen out twice. I was fortunate enough to hear it hit the ground and saved it. I will have to look up that post and perform the fix when I have time. Mine is hung at the top now and the L shaped metal piece is in the glove box. I think the binders will hold the windshield, but since I have not gotten my out of the stuck-all-the-way up position, I dont know for certain.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hello Just Joey,

I recently had the same problem as you are having. My 2005 was still under the extended warranty so I had mine fixed by the local Honda shop. There is an improved version of the ratchet that is not supposed to loose the small piece that falls out. Mine has worked flawlessly since, but has only been a couple of months. Good luck with it.

Joe in Modesto

1 - 5 of 5 Posts