GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a proud new owner of a 2016 F6B. Versus my last bike (CTX 700) this this is set! I got out for a 150+ mile ride yesterday to stretch her legs... and quickly realized I need a taller windshield. Would love to hear recommendations. I had a Madstad 20” on my CTX, but took it off — issues with buffering and had to install number of times because wind pressure would pull well nuts through fairing mounts. I like thought of adjustability, but not a fan of the Madstad looks - kind of clunky looking.

I like idea of having a windshield with vent to give me some airflow (gets hot here in Dallas). I’m 5-10, with 30” inseam.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have a Madstad but previously used the Honda OEM tall shield with vent. Worked good but the Madstad is better.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Madstad! Tried to save some $$, with other makes and styles, but ended up with the best! The looks will "grow on you", as you ride in comfort.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have Madstad 15" medium gray. I didn't like the 2 piece look either but it's very functional. I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2016 F6BD and added a Madstad large windshield in medium grey tint. Works well but is a bit dark at night on country roads. I’m 6’4” with 34” inseam. Nice that height can be adjusted easily

·
Registered
224 Posts
Had a Klockworks and it was not very good. Got a Mastad and it was too dark, sent it back and the clear is the best shield I've ever had on a bike. Wind protection is great and I even like the futuristic look of the double shield. I look well over it and still not in the wind. I think most shields will be two piece in the future. Already on Cam Ams, new Goldwings and BMWs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Had a Klockwerks 14" on mine when I bought it, buffeting at 75mph, switched to a 15" Madstad, but not a fan of looking through it, so if you want a taller shield, just buy the base system and I will sell ya the new 15" if you want it. I went with a 11" clear and it's perfection, got it right where I need it, no buffeting and smooth air flow. Butter all day.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Maybe I'm just a penny pincher, but I bought a used 2013 F6B and the little windshield that came with it was, as Jed Clampett would say, PITIFUL. I bought another one but at 6' with a 30" inseam, the top was always right about where my eyes were and I got some buffeting...even though you can move it up or down about 1.5".
You see, when you look at the normal routes to go with a windshield for this bike, there are only a few listed as fitting a F6B.
(More on that in a minute)

I wanted no more buffeting, after many years I was tired of it. Yet I didn't really want to spend a chunk of cash. I ended up conversing with the owner of Slipstream who was very helpful and said he could make a shield off any size for a customer, but I was afraid of breaking the bank so I didn't even ask how much that would be.

But then I thought... Hey - it's basically a Goldwing. Wouldn't a regular aftermarket Goldwing windshield fit?
So I took a leap of faith and for under $200 delivered ordered a Slipstreamer S 167VC (With a vent, and clear).
There are many sellers online, Slipstreamer does not sell to individuals.

It arrived in a couple days and fits like a glove. And sonofagun, it's about 6' higher than what I had.
Now... I did notice that the 3 slots in the windshield for the mounting bolts were slightly wider than in the aftermarket shield I took off, so just to be sure I went to ACE and got three fender washers and three big rubber washers to spread out the force. I think the holes in the washers were originally 3/8" but I had to open up the holes just a hair with the next size up drill bit.

Everything tightened down just fine, and I've probly put about 500 miles on it so far.
WAY WAY less wind and buffeting. With a 3/4 helmet my glasses no longer flutter. My head no longer bobs like a kid at a death metal concert. And when it is REALLY hot, flipping open the vent gives me some direct air.
Do I mind looking thru the windshield now? Not at all. OH - And I can hear the bike's radio now... not just the bluetooth speakers in the helmet.

Could there be better windshields? Of course. But this one works for me. So unless I try another and it is exponentially better, I will be happy with this one.
One last hint... hit up your local Honda dealers. Chances are they have a used / take off OEM Goldwing windshield sitting around that you can get for pennies on the dollar because someone didn't want it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
windshield

I agree with Summerhawk, Baggershield is the way to go. You do not get the buffeting with only the bottom half installed and iff you need a taller height you can easily install the to section. Plus, it is a great looking windshield and not too expensive.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I had the baggershield. Without the top section on it, the roar of the wind is tremendous above about 40mph. You can pretty much forget about using the stereo at freeway speeds. Just my .02

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a 16”:Long Ride Shield Taka for the F6B and am happy with it. It's great at 30-40 mph, and passable at highway speed, but I don't want to go any taller. Good deals and service too.

I have a 14” LRS Taka and two 16” Taka‘s for sale. one of the 16” will need mounting holes re-drilled. $50 for either plus shipping.

·
Registered
166 Posts
the Second Baggershield

i had the 11 to 19 inch Baggershield on the 2015 F6B deluxe and now have it on the new 2016 F6B deluxe I have now and have never seen a reason to remove the top clear section and with both together I can listen to the stereo at 80+ mph set on volume 12. I am not saying the Madstads a bad windshield because too many people like them so they must work but I just couldn't get past how unattractive they are on the F6b and my baggershield works and compliments the bike.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I'm a little surprised no one mentioned the Windbender by Firecreek Accessories. Immediately after I bought by new 2015, the first thing I did was buy a Klockwerks Flare windshield...which I loved...but only for a short time. I quickly realized the need for more accessory mounting options, and the Windbender with farkle shelf proved ideal. The 2-piece design is adjustable, although I leave mine alone most of the time. I'm 6' tall, and do not experience any of the buffeting issues people complain about...but what the heck, it's a motorcycle, right? I expect some wind...

Bottom-line is, I love the Windbender, and I have a neat place for my GPS, radar detector, phone holder and Gerbings controller...all at eye level and easy to get to.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Large F4 shield for me! Yea!

Ronnie

Reactions: F4Customs

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 12". Long Ride Shield Taka for the F6B and am happy with it. It's great at 30-40 mph, and passable at highway speed, but I don't want to go any taller. Good deals and service too.

I have a 10" LRS Taka and a 12" Taka for sale. The 12" will need mounting holes re-drilled. $50 for either plus shipping.
When you say 12", is that the total height or the height above the fairing?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts