GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone give me a step by step on windshield removal and replacement. I did a search but didn't find anything. Thanks

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
Step 1: Go by a Honda Service Manual.

Step 2: Read page 3-9 (for a 2006) and follow the instructions.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but it is somewhat involved and to do any maintenance work yourself, you really should have a service manual. If you live near someone who has the expertise, you could ask them for assistance.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Get Fred's DVDs. When you start to remove the bolts around the mirrors, stuff the open areas with rags. These bolts will slip out of your fingers and fall down into what will seem like a bottomless hole. Fred's DVDs taught me this and sure enough I dropped one but it stopped on top of the rags. No removing front of bike trying to find a stupid screw. Others have been there, done that without the rag trick. At that point I would have carried to the dealer as repairs that big would overwhelm my mechnical mind and nerves.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
PM you with instructions / pics

·
Registered
879 Posts
Hey chazzman go to www.kuryakyn.com & look for there new windshield 1383. Their you will kind installation instructions for the shield above. Simple & easy. I installed one 4 weeks ago, took about an hour half.;)

·
Registered
602 Posts
I second the motion to get a set of Fred's DVD's. 2 Wks ago I bought a '09 & the DVD's arrived last week. I just happened to watch the disc re: the windshield removal yesterday...... Of course, if you need to work on your windshield now - sounds like you've got some "help" already on the way.

I'm already sweatin the air filter removal - but, with only 450 miles on my bike thus far I hope to be ready to tackle that job @ the end of summer. I watched that segment twice - as the first time I had trouble believing that a engineer would locate something as critical as an air filter in such a difficult-to-access location ! Did that engineer lose a bet -or- win a bet to get away with that ??????

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Milbear wrote PM you with instructions.

Thank you sir for your thought - fullness. It took 15 minutes to remove.

I have done all the work on my Wing myself. CB install. speakers, XM hard wired, Air filter ETC. The only thing that the shop did was install steel tapered steering head bearings, coolant replace and while it was at the shop I purchased the Big Bike Windshield from them and had it installed. Sometimes following the service manual takes you through unnecessary steps. I have been able to get all the information that I have ever needed from this forum and the bike has been very easy to work on. Thanks again for all you help.
I did remove the stupid electrical tape that makes such a mess when adjusting the shield. I will clean up the mess and find a better way for that operation.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DW Taylor wrote: I second the motion to get a set of Fred's DVD's. 2 Wks ago I bought a '09 & the DVD's arrived last week. I just happened to watch the disc re: the windshield removal yesterday...... Of course, if you need to work on your windshield now - sounds like you've got some "help" already on the way.

I'm already sweatin the air filter removal

I know Fred's video's are great from all that I have read. The air filter is really not the big deal than I had heard it was; working on your own bike is much more enjoyable than having someone else do it. There are lots of great people on this forum willing to give a helping hand if needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts