GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How exactly is the windshield properly removed (i.e. step by step)?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I know you want detail which I will not go into. The job should take about 15-20 minutes, even the first time. I will give you a couple of tips however. Swing the mirrors to one side or the other and remove 2 of the screws and loosen the third. This will allow you to get at the front fairing screw. Be sure to stuff a cloth in the open area as it is a bottomless hole from hell, drop the screw, it's gone forever. Carefully pry the plastic tab off its holder. A couple of touches of super glue to the rubber washer would be a good idea as it has a tendency to also fall off when reinstalling. There are 2 push-in tabs at the bottom of the fairing, just pull out gently. As you look at the w/shield from the front you will see a triangular black piece of plastic at the center bottom, remove it. Release the 2 w/shield adjustment levers in the cockpit area. Look at the w/shield and remove the sliding tabs, be careful as some are on very tightly so use a good grade allen. After they are removed the w/shield will slid out toward the top. I am doing this by memory and have probably missed a step or two. Once the front fairing is off one can easily see what needs to be removed and in what order. A second pair of hands always helps. Again, this is a very quick job that takes minimal skill. Reinsallation is in the reverse order of the above.
Buck

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Vetteman said:
Swing the mirrors to one side or the other and remove 2 of the screws and loosen the third. This will allow you to get at the front fairing screw. Be sure to stuff a cloth in the open area as it is a bottomless hole from hell, drop the screw, it's gone forever.
Buck
No need to remove or loosen screws in the mirror; just fold it out of the way, stuff a rag in the big hole and remove the front fairing nut on each side. :wink:

·
Registered
343 Posts
I agree with what you have said and I have done it that way but I have found that by removing 2 of the 3 screws and loosening the 3rd it makes it really easy, especially for those w/ larger hands to get at the bolt in question. Also, removing those 4 screws does not take but an additional minute or so and makes removal/re installation of that dreaded fairing side bolt a great deal easier; definitely remember to place a "catch" rag in the hole.
Buck

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Thanks for the tips .... and I never question comments from a guy who says "especially for a guy with large hands" ... whatever you say boss !!! :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts