GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my stock windshield with another stock windshield. Is this a simple procedure, and if so, what is involved? Are there any short-cuts? The manaul looks a little complicated to me, i.e., removing the mirrors and instrument-meter cover, etc. Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Chard Member
12,975 Posts
Don't do anything the manual tells you! LOL.. Well, you don't have to do much of what the service manual tells you.

Separate the mirror rubbers from the fairing. You will see a 10mm(?) bolt on the side rear of each side of the windshield garnish behind the mirrors. Remove those bolts. The garnish is held on with tits and gromets just like the side covers after you have removed the two bolts. Two gromets toward the front and two at the rear. After the garnish has been removed you will see the screws that hold the windshield in place. Once you get the garnish off it will be evident what you need to do to replace the shield. The manual might help you there. The mirrors are on hinges(?) and will fold out of your way so you can get to those bolts easier.

I've probably missed something, but it is simple once you get the windshield garnish off and have the windshield mounting exposed.

Good Luck...

If you think you'll have problems, just strap the shield onto your bike and ride over to Clearwater. I will work for coffee! LOL..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Replacing windshield

Hondaman, there are two little tricks that you might want to use. When you remove the rubber from the mirrors and before you start to unscrew any of the screws from the front do two things. One, loosen the fasteners that put tension on the garnish, it will make your job a ton easier. Also, stuff a towel or some other cloth into the holes under the garnish/mirror. This will keep you from having to pay mother Honda about 3 bucks for a tiny little bolt after you've lost it in the plastic somewhere. Don't ask me how I know this. LOL.

Honestly, to remove and replace a windshield with another one takes less than an hour. The worse part of the whole thing is getting the rubber boots back on the way they are supposed to be. It helps if you spray a little glass cleaner or WD40 on it first, helps the tabs slip into the slots...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
If you are careful you can replace the windshield without removing the mirrors. It is a little tight for fumble fingers but it is possible.

Don't forget to cover the Honda hole under the mirrors! Can turn a 1 hour job into 3 hours real quick. :oops: Wonder how I know.

Dale C.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts