8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is been here befor But did the warranty cover it
My shield worked all the time but it wont go down now
its a 05 so I should still have some time left on the warranty its 3 Yrs. right

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Pull it all the way up and then push it down. That works for me every time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
robertcuster said:
Pull it all the way up and then push it down. That works for me every time.
Ya it worked for me to untill now someone was on here before maybe its been happening before

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just got my '03 a week ago. Salesman told me the windshield was all the way down when I picked up the bike. When I stopped at a store to play with it I found it went up another inch or so. But then it would not go down...... :shock: I wiggled pivoting left and right and then tilting it front and back......still stuck all the way up. Then I had my brother wiggle while I held the windshield trim front piece out to see what's going on in there. The sliders/screws/metal grommet thingys seems ok but they wouldn't let the windshield go back down. I jiggled it another minute or two gently pivoting side to side and front to back and it finally slid all the way down, two inches further than what the salesman said was "fully down".

Don't know what got stuck or what I did, but it went back down with some persistence. Later I'll dissassemble and clean/lube things under there, but for now I'm still learning the bike.

Good luck,
Craig

·
Registered
227 Posts
when mine gets stuck all the way up,sometimes you have to get rough with it.Wiggle it around in all directions,I mean wiggle it.You want break anything all the time try to be working it up and then down,it will release after awhile.It is not as fragile as you think,and yes it is still covered under warranty.John

·
Registered
525 Posts
I had reinstalled the OEM and when I did I tightened the bolts in the sliders. Then, I found I had trouble tripping the latch to let the window go down. I found that the bolts need to be able to slide in the slots in those metal grommets, otherwise they can restrict the full movement of the windshield. When I loosed them a bit it worked. Even so, sometimes you have to jerk it pretty hard to the top to reset the latch mechanism.

The windshield also slides on some black tape pieces which tend to allow their adhesive to ooze out the sides thus making it harder instead of easier to slide the shield. Some have improved this by replacing with Teflon tape. Next time I feel like messing with it I will do that.

This is not a particularly elegant engineering solution.

·
Registered
49 Posts
gpick said:
sometimes you have to jerk it pretty hard to the top to reset the latch mechanism. This is not a particularly elegant engineering solution.

No, but it sounds like an "engineering solution" that I am capable of....

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I did not see this posted, so excuse me if this is already known to you. The windshield has 4 positions, full down and 3 up. It clicks as it reaches each position. To get the windshield to return to the full-down position, you pull it all the way up and that releases the catch mechanism and allows the windshield to be lowered to the full-down position. There, it resets the catch mechanism for the trip upward again. You must pull the windshield to the full up position to allow it to go to the full-down position.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Mine did that and it turned out that a dealer had modified the track during a repair. By modify I mean butchered it. Professional techs can be real meat-heads and ruin your bike; beware.
The guide had jumped the track and jammed.
I removed the guide and switched it to another track and it works fine.
The metal guides can pull through the plastic tracks if you yoke down hard enough on them and the ratchet can also jam. It's not a huge job to remove the mirrors and garnish to take a look at it. Also a good opportunity to remove the dead bugs from that area...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just had my windshield fixed for the same problem. We had returned from a 2400 mile trip. During a rain day in Canada I tried to lower my windshield and it wouldn't go down. The repairman found a piece missing in the ratchet that lets the windshield go up and down. They had to replace this whole ratchet to get it to work. I have an '05 and it was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I thought mine was stuck in the up position too, but I noticed that one side was up more than the other. Watch for the markers on the windshield itself. I believe they are "_" and "0". You have to get it all the way up to, I believe the "0" position to release the ratchet to let it go back down. Instructions are in the owners manual. I finally read it after I was convinced my was faulty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2005 had the same problem. Could dissassemble and get it lowered manually, but each time it would not lower agtain from the full up position. The dealer ordered a new part and fixed it under warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
CRUISER1949 said:
My 2005 had the same problem. Could dissassemble and get it lowered manually, but each time it would not lower agtain from the full up position. The dealer ordered a new part and fixed it under warranty.
I think I am going to get the Dealer to do my sheild to
I will do something to it after the warrantys up but not tell then We all pay for it right

Thanks for all your help that means everyone

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CRUISER1949 said:
I like the 2006 SSR CHEVY TRAILER how can I get a clossup Pic of it

·
Registered
384 Posts
dicepilot,
There are "7", positions, full down, to set the ratchet, then 5 "locked" positions, the the full up to release the rachet to lower it.
Allen

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like the 2006 SSR CHEVY TRAILER how can I get a clossup Pic of it
Here ya go. (If I did it correctly)

If you want some larger pics, PM me with an e-mail address and I'll send them to you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dicepilot said:
I did not see this posted, so excuse me if this is already known to you. The windshield has 4 positions, full down and 3 up. It clicks as it reaches each position. To get the windshield to return to the full-down position, you pull it all the way up and that releases the catch mechanism and allows the windshield to be lowered to the full-down position. There, it resets the catch mechanism for the trip upward again. You must pull the windshield to the full up position to allow it to go to the full-down position.
Only seen it becuse I was looking for it when I started having this truble It worked good for the ferst Yr.
I was doing every thing U Guys told me but it just wont work that way anymore So I was seeing if any one else was having this thing happen I started opening the front panle and pushing the release with a small wire to get it down Beleave me I know thats not how it works

G

·
I went for two years trying to get the damn thing to stay at full up position. Then one day it stayed up, and has been full up ever since, which is exactly where I want it. :lol:

Ride safe.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts