GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The windshield vent door on my 2005 won’t stay shut.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there any way to tighten it?

With the colder weather coming in, I like to ride with the vent in the closed position, but it will only stay closed for a just a short time. The vent door falls open if I go over a bump or get a blast of air from an incoming semi on a one-laner.

Is there a way to fix this or should we all start a class action lawsuit? :wink:

Thanks!

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Katchunk,
I haven't looked at mine closely yet but I think there a friction washer underneath the handle. Maybe its broken or the handle's nut isn't tight enough. T.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I had the vent on my MEMPHIS SHADES go bad. They sent me a new vent...no questions asked. Excellent customer service.

If your bike is under warranty, then ask for a replacement vent. If Not, you have -3- choices;

1. order a replacement from Honda
2. order a replacement from MEMPHIS SHADES or another after market vendor
3. carry a roll of DUCT tape with you

·
Registered
303 Posts
I had the opposite problem , mine would not open. I brought it back to the dealer and they replaced it no charge

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Take a look at it with the parts diagram in hand...
Make sure the little bearing is still in there and catching at the detents.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If mine is completely closed then it will stay shut. If I have it open to the first notch and boogie down the highway around 80 then it seems to want to open up more until it is sitting level with the air stream. It has never bothered me that much but I have not taken the LONG trip in the sub freezing weather yet.

I would agree with Warranty or Duct Tape. It comes in pretty colors now LOL:

Marc

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
katchunk said:
Is there a way to fix this or should we all start a class action lawsuit? :wink:
:lol:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I lost the bearing out of mine last summer on a ride. Moved the vent one notch and watched as the bearing fell out, rolled across the dash and fell into the roadway.

Good news, it is a simple fix. A BB that goes in you Daisy Red Rider is the same size. You have to remove a black, circular sticker on the end of the pivot shaft to get at the screw. Take it apart, replace the bearing and put it back together. It also helps to add a bevel or chamfer to the hole used when it is completely closed. This is the one that tends to stick the worst on mine.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Yep, the ball bearing may be the problem. I had a Winger point that out to me recently as to how easily it can fall out and "roll away like chicklets" as Bobby Bare sang in his song "The Winner." (which by the way is a great song in my opinion. :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Hope you can get that vent fixed rea quickly. We are approaching brass monkey weather and you are going to need to keep it closed. :roll:

Todd

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I never close the vent. In cold weather, when I close the vent, the cold air starts to attack my back and I freeze up. With the vent open, the air rushes over me and I stay warmer.

·
Registered
143 Posts
vent

I'll bet that you've lost the ball bearing that catches in the detent for the different positions. I ve seen it on friends bikes. Tom

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Re: vent

tom smith said:
I'll bet that you've lost the ball bearing that catches in the detent for the different positions. I ve seen it on friends bikes. Tom
Do you mean you saw the ball bearing he lost on a friend's bike??? :? Sounds like a case of Grand Theft Motorcycle Ball Bearing to me. :twisted: :lol:

Todd

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info everybody!

I will take a look at the vent again but I dont recall seeing any bearing so it must have come loose. If thats the problem I'll start googling on BB gun pellets.

Thanks again. This is a great web site for Wing information.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I lost my little bearing. So where can you get these ?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,541 Posts
Try the BB, if that doesn't work, you will have to buy the whole vent from Honda. Here's the number for an 04 & 05. This is the inner part or rider side. This is the updated part number that replaces the one in the parts list. It's $18.83 from HDL :D

23 VISOR ASSY., FRESH AIR # 64170-MCA-A21

·
Registered
384 Posts
Tim,
I think the "BB" is a little too small.
If you drop me an email at [email protected] with you mailing address, I'll get a couple in the mail to you, I have a "good" supply of them.
Allen
Tulsa Enterprises

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I had a similar problem and just Glued it shut with a couple of small dabs of clear silicone. If I cold find a plate to fill the hole I would remove it. For me it is a nuisance and in the way.

Added:

Allen; love the T Tall, but the vent for me at least is of no use, and in the way for cleaning the dash. It would be nice if there was a filler plate for those that don't desire the vent.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Windshield vent

Don't give up on finding a ball bearing. Try Lowe's, Home depot, or local hardware store. They sometimes have them in loose quanities and sizes. Tom

·
Registered
237 Posts
I had my bearing fall out about a year ago and, like the other guy said, a regular Daisy BB works as a replacement.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I can help...

If you go to the corner of Las Vegas Blvd and Charleston, here in Las Vegas. Number two lane east bound on Charleston at the stop light.

You should be able to find the one I lost about two years ago.

I don't think anybody saw me drop it, so it should still be there.

Oh, I wouldn't stand in the road very long as the drivers here thinks pedestrians are fair game.

Hope this helps.

:D

John

1 - 20 of 30 Posts