GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 and was wanting to add a vent to the windshield, I ordered one today and plan install when it comes in but I am not sure the best way to cut this in and I won't have a template to go off of, if any of you have done this I could use some console on how to do it.
Thanks Stanley

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Stanley i have a windshield that i could make you a templet with. I have never cut a hole in W/S .

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
If it's an OEM shield, cutting the hole is the least of your problem. The shield is thicker than the vent and the hole must be "routed" out around the hole to make the shield thinner so the vent will fit. Without some sort of jig to control the depth and pattern, you're in for a big challenge. And with the windshield being curved, that presents an even bigger problem.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I added a vent to my 03 oem windshield. I think it is a Tulsa vent, can't remember, and I called and asked for a template. They sent one, just a piece of paper the shape of the cutout. As I recall, I tried a couple different tools, the Dremel, a coping handsaw, jigsaw. I do recall the plastic was melting from too high a speed on the Dremel. I eventually got the cutout, it was pretty ragged looking but the vent covers the edges and looks normal. I did not have to use a router on the edges.

It took about four hours. Three hours and 45 minutes to get the nerve to cut my windshield, 15 minutes to get it done.

If you can get someone with a vent to take it out and make a template, that would be the easiest. And measure the distance from the top of the windshield to the vent, so you don't get it too low and can't lower your shield all the way.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
When I have to cut an odd shaped hole in anything, I use the part that is going into the hole to make the template.

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
I added a vent to my 03 oem windshield. I think it is a Tulsa vent, can't remember, and I called and asked for a template. They sent one, just a piece of paper the shape of the cutout. As I recall, I tried a couple different tools, the Dremel, a coping handsaw, jigsaw. I do recall the plastic was melting from too high a speed on the Dremel. I eventually got the cutout, it was pretty ragged looking but the vent covers the edges and looks normal. I did not have to use a router on the edges.

It took about four hours. Three hours and 45 minutes to get the nerve to cut my windshield, 15 minutes to get it done.

If you can get someone with a vent to take it out and make a template, that would be the easiest. And measure the distance from the top of the windshield to the vent, so you don't get it too low and can't lower your shield all the way.
Measure the distance from the bottom of the windshield in case the top has been 'modified'

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Check the "How To" section here on this forum. I am sure someone else has done this.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all, wimpy if you could just send the measurements of how far down from the top I think I can get the rest done, the windshield has never been altered so it should be the same. This is a oem shield, Bart are you saying all the stock shields have the recess that you are talking about, I hope not, I don't mind a challenge but only to a point. Thanks.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I won't swear to it, but I don't remember my old OEM shield having a recess routed into it. I thought the recess was only required for the thicker aftermarket shields. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
268 Posts
All the vents I saw came with a template. It was Honda Vents that I looked at from several different shops. I had considered putting one in a windshield of a C14 that I previously owned.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Stanley
From the top of the W/S to the top of the vent hole its 10 1/8 ins.
From the top of the center slotted hole on bottom of W/S its 8 3/4 ins.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
All the vents I saw came with a template. It was Honda Vents that I looked at from several different shops. I had considered putting one in a windshield of a C14 that I previously owned.
Honda does not sell a vent kit. There is nothing listed in any of their parts catalogs. If you want to be certain you are getting the OEM vent, you have to buy every part and piece of hardware separately, about 10 pieces total.

If you see a kit advertised as genuine Honda, it was a kit that was put together by that retailer. Whether it comes with instructions and a template will depend on who you bought it from, because they would have to make the instructions themselves. It isn't supplied by Honda.

There are a few aftermarket copies out there that a hard to distinguish from OEM.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I cut a hole in my OEM windshield for a vent purchased from Tulsa. The OEM windshield is NOT thicker than the vent. To make the cut, I used a rotozip saw. There is a top and bottom to the vent along with a small notch that needs to be cut out. I don't remember if it is on top or bottom. Also measure twice or three times to avoid the infamous "oh S**t"
Tulsa did send me a template to use.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I won't swear to it, but I don't remember my old OEM shield having a recess routed into it. I thought the recess was only required for the thicker aftermarket shields. Hopefully someone else will chime in.
:agree:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Not to rain on the parade...
But I'd guess you'll be much happier in the long run if you simply buy a stock windshield with the vent hole. They are all over (ebay, CL, here) and cheap.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I'm about to cut a hole in my F4 to fit a vent. I'm thinking on masking the area off and making a template for the hole from the shield I took the vent off. I intend to bore some holes near the corners and cut the hole with a gig saw with a fine tooth blade. :eek:4: Finish off with a file and sandpaper. Any thoughts? :shrug:

Update. Job Done. :coffee1:
I cut the hole as described. It cut well with no shattering. The blade I used was a little coarser than a hacksaw blade with no set. I ran the saw flat out but cut slowly. The OEM vent did not want to fit as the F4 is slightly thicker so I trimmed off the tab where it fits over at the top and it sits in there well. I ran some clear silicone along the top and down the sides then bolted it up. Once that cures off I’m hoping it’s is enough to hold it in place. If not I may put some S/S machine screws through it on the sides about ½ way up. I would like to go out and road test it however there is a bit of a storm it wouldn’t be pleasant.
Hope this helps anybody considering the same job.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stanley
From the top of the W/S to the top of the vent hole its 10 1/8 ins.
From the top of the center slotted hole on bottom of W/S its 8 3/4 ins.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Wimpy, thats what I needed, Thanks for all the other replies, all info is greatly appreciated. Igneouss I agree it would be a lot easier but my present windshield is in good condition. I purchased the vent from Honda Direct line and they did have to get all the pieces together for one vent, no kit and no template. With Wimpy's measurements it should go OK. Thanks Stanley

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Not to rain on the parade...
But I'd guess you'll be much happier in the long run if you simply buy a stock windshield with the vent hole. They are all over (ebay, CL, here) and cheap.
I try to be practical about things like this. He already has a windshield sitting there that he is just going to throw in the attic if he buys a new shield. So why not try to cut the hole in the old one first. If he screws it up, THEN he can go buy a new windshield.

You never learn how to do things unless you actually try it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts