GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, on a 2 week ride out west, currently in Shamrock, TX working my way east back toward home.

My problem- my windshield won't move. Neither up or down with the switch, doesn't drop down when I shutoff the bike, doesn't go back up when riding off. So I figure what's the easiest thing to check? The fuse of course. But there's no fuse labeled for the windshield on the fuse cover. I'm on the road so no access to a manual. Could somebody help me out and check which fuse is for the windshield? Most appreciated.

·
Registered
2019 Red/Black Tour DCT airbag
994 Posts
Fuse 15 (Ignition 10A) is the only one involved. It powers the front control unit plus a swag of other stuff. If the dash panel is working, I doubt it's the fuse. Could be a fault in the front control unit but more likely to be the windscreen adjuster itself (motor or position sensor).

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Hey all, on a 2 week ride out west, currently in Shamrock, TX working my way east back toward home.

My problem- my windshield won't move. Neither up or down with the switch, doesn't drop down when I shutoff the bike, doesn't go back up when riding off. So I figure what's the easiest thing to check? The fuse of course. But there's no fuse labeled for the windshield on the fuse cover. I'm on the road so no access to a manual. Could somebody help me out and check which fuse is for the windshield? Most appreciated.
Here ya go. Online manual. Google is your friend.

Tim

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Similar issue on my 2020 Tour MT. Sometimes it works, and sometimes not. Aggravating. FOLLOWING
The intermittent electric windscreen failure is a relatively well known occurrence on ‘18+ Wings and has been discussed on this forum at some length.

I video’d the failure on my ‘19 DCT Tour with my cell phone, showed it and gave a copy to my dealer’s service writer, and Honda Canada approved warranty replacement of the electric motor in 24 hours.

It should be a straight forward warranty issue.

Tim

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The intermittent electric windscreen failure is a relatively well known occurrence on ‘18+ Wings and has been discussed on this forum at some length.

I video’d the failure on my ‘19 DCT Tour with my cell phone, showed it and gave a copy to my dealer’s service writer, and Honda Canada approved warranty replacement of the electric motor in 24 hours.

Tim
Agreed. I did the same thing with my 18 under warranty. Honda replaced the windshield motor for me

Reactions: T-88

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

Tim
Thanks for the update! Not a fanboy, so not much time here for pontification spending (apparently) way too much time riding. Looks like it's time to enjoy some Gen6 electronics drama with the dealer.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
2,149 Posts
Hold the switch DOWN when turning the bike off. Then continue holding it DOWN when you turn the bike back on. That should reset it and you can now move it. Then remember to always fully lower the windshield before turning the bike off.

Reactions: Roadie

·
Registered
2022 DCT Non-Touring
180 Posts
Hold the switch DOWN when turning the bike off. Then continue holding it DOWN when you turn the bike back on. That should reset it and you can now move it. Then remember to always fully lower the windshield before turning the bike off.
Why? It automatically lowers when shutting the bike off.

Reactions: Dougbug and T-88

·
Registered
2022 DCT Non-Touring
180 Posts
He said, "That should reset it..." That might be some trick mentioned in the service manual. Worth a try, right?
No, I get that. Makes sense. It seemed like his last statement was in regard to prevention though, not correction. That I do not understand since they lower automatically. Curious minds wanna know. :)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Called local dealer today, and spoke to Service Manager. These folks are considered golden around here with a long history in the market. Per Mother Honda, unless the tech can replicate the functional intermittency, they will NOT pre-emptively replace components, even if under primary term of factory warranty. I gotta wait for it to die... 😖

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Called local dealer today, and spoke to Service Manager. These folks are considered golden around here with a long history in the market. Per Mother Honda, unless the tech can replicate the functional intermittency, they will NOT pre-emptively replace components, even if under primary term of factory warranty. I gotta wait for it to die... 😖
No you don’t. I’ve advised various times previously on such intermittent problems.

VIDEO RECORD THE FAILURE WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING, SHOW THE ODOMETER READING, FLICK THE UP/DOWN BUTTON A FEW TIMES TO SHOW NO MOVEMENT, VOICE OVER THE DATE AND TIME. Give it to your service delartment.

When I went to my dealership, the windscreen was operating normally. I gave the service writer a copy of the video. Honda Canada, with the video ‘evidence’ approved warranty replacement of the electric motor within 24 hours of my visit to the dealer.

Tim

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
No you don’t. I’ve advised various times previously on such intermittent problems.

VIDEO RECORD THE FAILURE WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING, SHOW THE ODOMETER READING, VOICE OVER THE DATE AND TIME. Give it to your service delartment.

When I went to my dealership, the windscreen was operating normally. I gave the service writer a copy of the video. Honda Canada, with the video ‘evidence’ approved warranty replacement of the electric motor within 24 hours of my visit to the dealer.

Tim
Good idea, and much appreciated! (y)

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
2,149 Posts
Why? It automatically lowers when shutting the bike off.
If the sensor is faulty (the cause of the failures), you need to MANUALLY put it all the way down. What will happen if the sensor is faulty is the windscreen will go down, then "bounce up" a bit. And then it won't function next time.

Manually forcing it down overrides the sensor.

Reactions: strych9

·
Registered
2022 DCT Non-Touring
180 Posts
If the sensor is faulty (the cause of the failures), you need to MANUALLY put it all the way down. What will happen if the sensor is faulty is the windscreen will go down, then "bounce up" a bit. And then it won't function next time.

Manually forcing it down overrides the sensor.
Thanks for the clarification.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts