1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All GoldWingMen

I have a simple question ?

Do you have a recommendation for a new Windshield for my 2003 GoldWing

The Honda windshield is a crazy price of $435.00 plus taxes au Québec Canada.

Tank you :thumbup:

FlyBoy2121

·
Registered
24,624 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Bagger Shield................amazingly versatile.
And currently $160 if you go to get in on http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293822

If you are looking for extremely good wind protection, I probably wouldn't recommend the baggershield, but for me in the highest position it is about the same as the stock shield in its low position. I don't have any air wings / deflectors or any of that and "expect" some wind at times.

Really depends on how you ride / what you are looking for. I'd say that the baggershield, while I like it, probably isn't the greatest "touring" windshield available.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I run a Clearview and really like it.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Windbender HP by Firecreek. I never leave home without it.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Windbender :thumbup:

www.firecreekacc.com/

Mike
+1 Love mine!

Windbender HP by Firecreek. I never leave home without it.

Could you guys elaborate some on why you like this product?

How is it for cleaning insofar as resistant to scratching?

How is it in the rain and especially that "misty" kinda rain ... slow speeds or freeway?

Is there much flexing going on when you're travelling at higher speeds or when you get hit by a blast of wind when a semi goes past you travelling the opposite direction?

Thanks!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I purchased my Wing with a Tulsa Tall shield already on it. I probably would have never bought it myself. Just because it look's kinda weird being so tall. Take's some getting used to. But after having it a while, I reall like it! It along with Baker wing's almost completely eliminate buffeting for me and the wife. And with a little wax on it, it shed's water like you wouldn't believe. Good product, I will buy another one when needed.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
F4+4 from our sponsor :http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=7162&str=4
Our sponsor also has many other choices for your consideration.

:agree: I put mine on this spring & like it for the reasons listed below vvv

It greatly increased my rain protection, cut down on buffeting and is very easy to clean without much fear of scratching.

How is it for cleaning insofar as resistant to scratching?

How is it in the rain and especially that "misty" kinda rain ... slow speeds or freeway?

Is there much flexing going on when you're travelling at higher speeds or when you get hit by a blast of wind when a semi goes past you travelling the opposite direction?

Thanks!
The F4 is very scratch resistant where it seemed even trying to be careful I scratched the stock shield. Regular rain from a sprinkle to a downpour it does great, anything over about 40 & it stays clear. Misty rain will stick until it forms large enough drops to run off but does the same thing on my cage using Rain-X so probably not going to get away from it regardless of what shield you run. One thing I plan on trying is a piece of fuel hose at the top to keep water from coming back over the top & running down the back. I have had a little flex from a truck going the other way if the wind was right or when running into high winds but nothing that would concern me, probably less than what the stock shield flexes. Bugs do not seem to stick to this like they did the stock shield & running thru even a light rain cleans them off in the first couple of minutes. It is very clear with no noticeable distortion & I can wear polarized lenses without the rainbow effect. I would recommend getting the vented model even if you have baker wings & especially if you don't, the extra air made a difference compared to my stock one without the vent.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
SilvrT said:
I like my Windbender HP by Firecreek because:

1. I like looking over a windshield not through it. Bugs, dirt, road film and water are no problem. you just look over them.
2. The Windbender is infinitely adjustable.
3. The windbender is not coated. Scratches buff out with McGuires #10 and a buffing wheel on my electric drill.
4. The Windbender has an electric option.
5. When it rains I lower my Windbender to its lowest position and let the wind remove the water from my face shield.
6. The design of the Windbender moves the airflow up and over the riders head and reduces buffeting.
7. The Windbender with the smoked lower looks cool.
8. Firecreek has great customer service.
9. Want to try it before you buy. No problem just call Dayle "Quickdraw" at Firecreek they have a trial program.

Trial Program: We are so sure you'll like your Windbender that we'll let you buy one, put it on your bike and take it for a few test rides to find your personal sweet spot. If you absolutely do not like it and want to return the whole kit, we only ask that you send it back to us as clean as we sent it to you. A full refund, less the appropriate fee, will be credited to your card. FEES: There will be a $50 resurfacing fee for all returned Windbender kits. We don't expect the base shield to be perfect - it will never be perfect after installation - that's what the resurfacing fee is for. If you send your kit back with a dirty or scratched top shield, the fee will be $100.

10. The Windbender comes in three colors. clear, light tint and smoke

11. Windbenders exchange/return policy is second to none: Don't like the shield version you first bought? Send it back, pay the difference and we'll send you a larger shield for the price of shipping. If your shield is too large: send it back and we'll deduct the difference in price from the shipping on your replacement. All returns must be made in "AS NEW" condition or a $50 restocking/cleaning fee will apply.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
3. The windbender is not coated. Scratches buff out with McGuires #10 and a buffing wheel on my electric drill.
Thanks for your great feedback.

I'm not so sure I like the idea of the above tho ... since it is not coated, bugs can easilly leave chips and one might have to be extremely careful when cleaning it soas to not cause any scratching???

Do you find that you have to do the "Scratches buff out with McGuires #10 and a buffing wheel on my electric drill" very often?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Thanks for your great feedback.

I'm not so sure I like the idea of the above tho ... since it is not coated, bugs can easily leave chips and one might have to be extremely careful when cleaning it soas to not cause any scratching???

Do you find that you have to do the "Scratches buff out with McGuires #10 and a buffing wheel on my electric drill" very often?

I've never had a live bug hit the windshield hard enough to put a scratch in my Windbender. The scratches usually come from trying to wipe them (bugs) off without softening them first. I spray the windshield with hydrogen peroxide and let it sit for five or so minutes prior to washing. The bugs foam up and wash right off without scratching the windshield. When on the road I use Windex and let it soften the bugs before wiping. The only time I have taken the buffing wheel the the windshield was after I dropped it while removing the top half from the bike. I got out the McGuires #10 and the buffing wheel and 15 sec later I was done. The scratches were gone and the windshield looked like new. Not much to it. If I ever wanted to buff out the entire surface of the windshield it might take me twenty minutes. But I've had a Windbender on my 02 now for nine years now and this is the only time that I've had to use the buffing wheel on it. My mistake and it was easily repaired. Coatings on the other hand can come off. Whether you get to close with the pressure washer or damage it with chemicals or chipped by road debris. It cannot be repaired by the owner or buffed out. The damage is done.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts