GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new windscreen for my 2006. I like the fact of being able to look over my screen, but the wind buffeting and the effects of the wind on my mic I'm looking for something. Any suggestions?

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Many good windshields out there, Tulsa, Windbender, F4, Cee Bailey and the one I own....Clearview, so that's the only one I can comment about.

I''m approx. 6' tall, 30" inseam, so I'm considered "Long Waist-ed", and, for the standard Honda Windshield, I can see over it at it's highest setting. So, I ordered the Clearview +4. It's 4" taller, and 3" wider. At it's lowest setting, I can see about 75' in front of the bike while looking OVER the Clearview +4. At it's highest setting, it's about even with my forehead or slightly higher, so I get good wind protection. It's optical clarity is excellent, and I don't mind looking thru it in good weather. Not quit so good in rain, etc tho, quite similar to the NON adjustable Tulsa Tall variety.

Case in point - Sunday, 9-10, I started my trip from the Chicago area to Minot North Dakota (2 days) and, it rained on me the entire trip Sunday, 575 miles to Alexandria MN. I kept the windshield at it's lowest point, I could see over it easily, and the protection was better than the standard Honda brand.
Monday morning, the rain had subsided and I raised the shield to MAX and it kept me pretty well out of the cooler northern air. My GPS indicates about 952 miles, but the Wing ODO said about 1,032 miles, go figure. (the odo is off slightly on wings with standard tire) :roll:

It started raining again, around Fargo, so in all, I think about 700 miles was riding in light to moderate rain with occasional heavy spots.

I just wanted to tell you about my experience, my size, and my limited opinion. Of course, I had rain gear on, so it helped quite a bit, water wise.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
MG_Wings said:
I'm looking for a new windscreen for my 2006. I like the fact of being able to look over my screen, but the wind buffeting and the effects of the wind on my mic I'm looking for something. Any suggestions?
Unfortunately they go hand in hand: buffeting and shorty windshields. For my build the factory windshields top edge is directly in my line of sight. I'm over 6'3"tall mostly from the waist up and used to get headaches from all of the air rushing into my helmet from the O.E.windshield. I refuse to wear earplugs to prevent this. Tulsa is one of the best and makes riding so much more comfortable especially at freeway cruisin or higher speeds. T.

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
Whats wrong with the OEM? It is designed for a 5'10" to be able to look over it. The long ones look stupid. With them riders bump there heads getting on and off the bike, and lessen the clearity of their sight ability. I like a little wind, this is a motorcycle. AND I LOVE THE ADJUSTABLE VENT

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Most of this is going to be your preference. I did not want the vent in the OEM shield and went with the Clearview. I'm 5'8" and bought the 2 inch wider & 2 inch taller shield. Raised midway, it fits me perfectly. I can look over it, and duck just a bit for rain, so I've never needed to readjust it. I might consider the F4 if the Clearview wears out, as the demo with steel wool not scratching the F5 was impressive.

As far as Tulsa, I noticed the head bump thing and decided against it. Others love it. So, there is no one best selection, rather it is the features that you want & like.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I have the Clearview +4, "tinted", with the vent. Does everything I need it to do. The OEM also gave me a headache, but not the Clearview. I usually only clean it with a towel, never have steel wool with me, so I'd buy the same one again :lol:

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
John Garner said:
I might consider the F4 if the Clearview wears out, as the demo with steel wool not scratching the F5 was impressive.
Who? What? Steel wool didn't scratch? Which windshield was-is this. It will
be my next purchase.

John Garner said:
As far as Tulsa, I noticed the head bump thing and decided against it. Others love it.
You get to make Homer Simpson sounds when you do that. Duh!!

Herb

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
laen said:
Whats wrong with the OEM? It is designed for a 5'10" to be able to look over it. The long ones look stupid. With them riders bump there heads getting on and off the bike, and lessen the clearity of their sight ability. I like a little wind, this is a motorcycle. AND I LOVE THE ADJUSTABLE VENT
I have the stock windshield and I'm 5' 10'' I have to stretch to see over the top when I'm riding in the rain. The Tulsa -2'' is looking pretty good to me.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I am 5'10" and use a Clearview +4. I can see over it on the lowest setting and can raise it up if I am riding at night (bugs). I have the tinted model with a vent. It is a great windshield. Most people don't realize it is not the stock model.

Andy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts