GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2007 wing with 30k miles. We plan on traveling longer rides in a day. I also have a 06 vstar 1100 and 300 miles a day pushes comfort. I’m curious what windshield you all prefer. I want to keep my wife comfortable but I’m not crazy about looking through it all of the time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
In my opinion you will need 2 items to make her comfortable behind you. First is a windshield that is high enough to push the wind over her helmet. Second is a set of wind wings that fit under the mirrors that eliminate side winds coming up her legs that cause helmet buffeting. I am sorry to tell you you will have to get used to looking through the windshield to make her happy my friend.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I prefer to look over the windshield & ride 2 up most of the time. For us the Windbender windshield from Fire Creek Acc. has worked well. The wife seems comfortable wind wise. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Looking through the windshield can be frustrating depending on the type of windshield. The OEM windshield can develope swirls in them after a few time cleaning. My self, I use the F4+2 tinted windshield, they are optically clear and don't scratch which makes looking through them not so frustrating. They can be cleaned with paper towels, I'd suggest you don't try that on an OEM windshield. My wife noticed the difference when I installed the F4, lot less wind buffeting.

But like with most things on these bike, from oil to tires, it comes down to personal taste and everyone and their brothers have an opinion on what is the best, do your research, read the reviews and then make your best educated choice.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
First off, Welcome from SE Idaho, and congrats on the Wing!!! From my side of things, there's only two choices, Madstad or Windbender. I haven't used the Windbender, but they're similar to the Madstad in design and function. As to the Madstad, I had an OEM windshield on my 1800 when we bought it. I felt like we took a beating every time we passed or were behind a big truck and trailer, and Leslie felt like she was being pushed around terribly because of all the buffeting. We were about to take our first long trip and felt there had to be something we could do to make it more comfortable. Like you, I ask the question about windshields, and I got, as you no doubt will, many responses. The one that caught my eye was one by a member that had been in a wreck on his bike and because of it, couldn't deal with riding in the heat. When temps hit the 80's, he just couldn't ride safely. He got a Madstad and that cured his problem. Not only could he adjust the shield to improve the air flow to himself, keeping things a bit more comfortable, he had the added bonus of a clear view of the road. I figured, what the heck, and to top it all off, these were less expensive than some other options. I ordered an 12" clear screen, which arrived quickly, and installed it a couple weeks before our trip. I followed the instructions and we did several rides up and down the freeway, making adjustments at the exits, until we found the sweet spot for us. I look over the screen, so I have a clear view of the road ahead. Because of the design, there's no vacuum in the cockpit area, so I experience a quiet, smooth ride, and Leslie no longer has the buffeting in the rear seat to deal with. If it rains, I can either raise it or change the angle, and most of the rain blows up and over us. What little hits my face shield either blows off with the air moving past the helmet, or can be easily wiped off with a glove. They do look different, so some folks don't care for them. Another thing to consider is adding a set of Airwings under the mirrors. For air control as you go down the road, they're hard to beat. Good luck with your search, ride safe, and keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Another vote here for the Madstad. I wasn't thrilled with the way it fit at the top of the dash but solved that with foam weatherstrip. The ability to adjust it is great and I look comfortably over the top. Haven't tried it in the rain yet but overall it is way better than stock in normal conditions.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ya depends on whether or not you want to look over or through it.
I've got the F4 Customs +4 with the Baker Built side wings. Really quiets down the cockpit.
Jim

·
Registered
511 Posts
Another vote for the Madstad. I'm 5' 6" and my wife is 5' 2" and I don't like to look through a windshield. I echo Mountain Rider's comments. Behind my Madstad it is clean air, quiet air, and little of the vacuum in the cockpit that the OEM produces and I look over it. I special ordered one 11" high. Air wings under the mirror are very effective.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I still have the stock windshield on my 2015 Wing, but an 11" Madstad on my 2015 F6BD, I like it VERY much. When the time comes to replace the Wings windshield I most likely will go with the Madstad, but with over 93,000+ miles on my Wing, the stock windshield is in very good condition still. Whichever windshield I choose in the future, it must have the ability to farkle shelf it, Firecreek sells Windbender shields accessories.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I agree with others on the Madstad. On my 2008, I tried the OEM, a Memphis Shades similar to OEM, an Optic Armor +4" (similar to F4), and they all had positives and negatives, but I prefer to look over 100 percent of the time. I finally bought Madstad and never looked back. All the other windshields are on the shelf, and I doubt any of them will ever be on the GL1800 again, as long as I ride it.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I have ridden in rain quite a bit with the Madstad and, similar to OEM, prefer to lower it all the way down and tilt it back to max setting. That way I get enough wind to blow the rain off the helmet face shield at road speed. I have almost zero miles with a rear seat passenger, so cannot comment rear seat impressions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have ridden in rain quite a bit with the Madstad and, similar to OEM, prefer to lower it all the way down and tilt it back to max setting. That way I get enough wind to blow the rain off the helmet face shield at road speed. I have almost zero miles with a rear seat passenger, so cannot comment rear seat impressions.
I see your in Kentucky, I sent you a message.

·
Registered
40 Posts
In an effort to give my wife a quieter ride, I have tried a few aftermarket windshields on my Gold Wings and, so far, they were all a waste of money. I think I now have 2 or 3 old, usable shields on the shelf.

My latest is the F4+4, which was touted by some as THE solution for passenger comfort. Sadly, my wife could not tell any difference from the stock windshield. Thus, I took out the jigsaw and cut 3 1/2 inches off the top so I could, at least, look over it. The next step will be to trim the sides so I can regain height adjustment. The F4 is nice to clean, however.

And now others brag about some other pricey shields but I am not going down that road any further.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
I have the F-4 tallest upswept model and am happy, but not totally happy. Iit needs to be wider to shield the jet stream gaps caused by the huge mirror gaps.

prs

·
Registered
7 Posts
Madstad for me I have the 14" think I could have the 11" but got a great deal on the 14" used here's a pic of it down.
20200322_142621.jpg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts