GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
It is a very good chance that I'm the only one who has one of these:

My wife says it works and therefore you can say that things are much quieter back there (if you know what I mean).

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I have the F-4 tallest upswept model and am happy, but not totally happy. Iit needs to be wider to shield the jet stream gaps caused by the huge mirror gaps.

prs

I am posting this for a possible solution for you turbulence-challenged unhappy folks.

First of all. I was thinking of an F4 but did not really want to alter the aerodynamics of the OEM. So I slapped a conventional Laminar lip on--with which I was so happy that I drilled holes and permanently attached to the OEM shield with plastic nut/screws.

Then, I went to Home Depot and bought a couple of pieces of plex- plastic and shaped them as you see them installed from the little wing offered by Honda to a little pass the mirror. Those two white stips you see are those snap-on velcro thingies you can get at any hardware store: let me tell ya, these made a HUGE difference.

I have also installed the OEM upper Wings and after much thought and reflection decided on the Kury lower wings. It seemed to me they compliment the OEM upper wings better than other models.

I am not sure how this is gonna effect a passenger, but I am really satisfied as a rider to the point I have completely abandoned the idea of an aftermarket shield.

Anecdotal: I must have spent a ton of money on shield for various motorcycles I have own. THE ONLY shield that ever worked efficiently was the Werks Quiet Ride on a BMW RT. I dare say all other shield I bought were a total waste of money
Wind.deflect.scheme1.jpg
Wind.deflect.scheme1.jpg
Wind.deflect.scheme2.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the F4+2. It's now 5 years old, no scratches and only one rock chip. I don't have any extra wings on the bike. My wife and I are both 5'5" and she says she doesn't get and buffering.
In the lowest setting I can just see over it. With my wife onboard I put it in the 2nd from the bottom setting. I have to look through it at that height but it's crystal clear so it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
To each his own.... I would have to say OEM until it yellows and replace with the OEM size F4. I replaced my yellow OEM with a matching F4 on my 2010 a few months ago. My 2018 has OEM on it and it is too soon to tell if it is going to turn yellow on me. For the prior model, only my 2001 and first 2010 did not end up with a yellow OEM windshield; and that was entirely due to not having them long enough before their destruction (6 months from house fire - 2001, 15 months from deer - 1st 2010).

21 - 27 of 27 Posts