GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a first-hand experience with a passenger air deflector from Windwings? Or a similar product from any other manufacturer for that matter?

Even after installing a +4 windshield and all the air wings (mirror, side, bottom larger ones) my wife is still experiencing wind buffeting. And I can tell she's not exaggerating cause I can hear it in my intercom coming from her microphone.

I've seen this product, this goofy-looking "rear windshield" and I would be willing to expose myself to all the ridicule by installing it on my bike - if I know that it's working, that it would make a noticeable difference in reducing a wind buffeting for the passenger.

Anybody?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
We had one on our 07. The passenger said it didn't help with buffeting. I think it was from Kuryakin.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I have one and it works well . But a lot of it depends on your passengers height and what setting or kind of windshield you have. Im 6 ft 2 and my late wife was 5 ft. If youre passenger is almost as tall as you a taller windshield will also help. The issue with the wing is it throws a lot of wind over the top of the trunk and causes buffeting issues for the passenger.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More info, if that helps any - I'm 6'3", my wife is 5'3". We have +4 windshield already installed (4" taller, 2" wider, non-adjustable). Have Ultimate King seat (1.5" taller, rider moved 2" back).... All wings already installed - mirror, side, lowers...

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
This is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth. What you have on the front will affect what you feel at the rear. The large windshields create a vacuum behind them causing air to be drawn in from behind, which buffets the passenger, and the driver to a degree. The larger the windshield, the greater the area affected. These rear spoilers if you will, are supposed to reduce that air curling in from behind, and do to a certain extent depending on you passengers height. My wife suffered the same problem until we changed the windshield. After installing a Madstad, which everyone knows is somewhat minimal in size, and going through a process of trial and error adjusting the height and angle, we found that sweet spot. The design eliminates the vacuum, so air moves smoothly past, through, and around, and removes the air being drawn in from the rear. Leslie no longer suffers from having her head bounced around by the turbulence coming from the rear.

Adding a set of Airwings, allows us to adjust the air moving along the side of the bike, increasing or reducing warm or cool air as needed. Good luck and ride safe.

Reactions: onewayblues

·
Registered
144 Posts
Depends on the bike, the second gen 1800 has much better wind management and doesn't require all those deflectors. Any +4 shield will provide a nice calm air bubble with no buffeting of passenger or rider.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depends on the bike, the second gen 1800 has much better wind management and doesn't require all those deflectors. Any +4 shield will provide a nice calm air bubble with no buffeting of passenger or rider.

I have a 2013 level 4.... With +4 windshield there's still a considerable amount of buffeting in the passenger's area.....at least that's what we've experienced.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a 2013 level 4.... With +4 windshield there's still a considerable amount of buffeting in the passenger's area.....at least that's what we've experienced.

Interesting, it really is individual. Of course my wife has never complained about getting any even with the stock shield, she said the +2 was no different than stock but we added the +4 optic armor and she said it was very still air but had no complaints previously. Now on the new Harley Ultras, Indian Roadmasters, and the 2018 Goldwings(worst of the bunch by far, not just the God aweful buffetting of rider and passenger but the drone, that bike was almost unrideable above 60 mph) we have ridden she has had major complaints in pretty short order.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sure it is individual....and subjective, to the point.

The other fact that makes it more difficult is that my wife is claustrophobic and cannot wear any other helmet but half helmet (no full face, modular...not even a 3/4) so any buffeting is more pronounced, unfortunately. And I can clearly hear the amount of wind she's getting back there, sound coming from her mic into my helmet speakers.

We both know it's not end of the world and still enjoying our time on the bike immensely. I'm just trying to make it even more comfortable for her, if possible...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Does anybody have a first-hand experience with a passenger air deflector from Windwings? Or a similar product from any other manufacturer for that matter?

Even after installing a +4 windshield and all the air wings (mirror, side, bottom larger ones) my wife is still experiencing wind buffeting. And I can tell she's not exaggerating cause I can hear it in my intercom coming from her microphone.

I've seen this product, this goofy-looking "rear windshield" and I would be willing to expose myself to all the ridicule by installing it on my bike - if I know that it's working, that it would make a noticeable difference in reducing a wind buffeting for the passenger.

Anybody?
I think you need to play with the air wings you have some more. Make small incremental adjustments evenly on both sides. At some point you will get enough air traveling in from the front to counteract most of what is coming in from the rear.
If you are expecting the larger windshield and closed air wings to fix the problem, you are not realizing what is causing the back pressure and buffeting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts