GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings...

First time poster, long time lurker. Please be gentle.

This weekend I had the opportunity to do a 3 hour demo ride on an '06 audio/comf/nav/abs Wing. This was my first time on a Wing and I went into the demo with the preconception that the Wing was a lumbering, rolling recliner for AARP riders who were simply waiting for their turn to die.

3 hours later, I'm a new convert to the Church of the Gold Wing.

No doubt the Wing is the definitive long distance tourer. But how feasible is it as a daily commuter? Due to work and family schedules, I doubt I'll be doing any multi-day rides in the foreseeable future. Yet, the handling, comfort and maneuverability of the Wing in some heavy Dallas traffic has won me over. (Apologies for preaching to the choir.)

My question: Am I crazy for considering purchasing one for any reason other than long distance rides? Are there a lot of Wing riders who only do commutes?

Thanks in advance for any feedback - especially feedback that will help make a convincing argument to my non-riding wife. :wink:

·
Registered
553 Posts
i commute on the bike every day.......cant remember the last time i drove my car or my truck.....

i have gone thru all sorts of nasty rush hour traffic and find i can get thru heavy traffic way faster on the bike than anything with 4 wheels....

u just have to be aware of the fast lane changers and keep yer wits about ya 8)

and when i get close to home and away from the traffic i can say aaahhhh
wasnt that nice and get home allllllll relaxed......

commuting by bike is the way to go if its possible....

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8) :wink:

Almost everyday possible, live in the far Eastern corner of Va, weather supports it and I do it. :wink: Ya can't ever have enough fun, it provides a nice start to my day whether I'm drivin' 5 miles to one location or 27 to another plus I'll take the long way when the clock allows. 8)

But to each his own (disclaimer) if ya spend the big $$$ for the ride ya gotta use it and the more time on a Wing less time at the pistol range, shrink's office or some other crazy crap. :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I rode Gold Wings as a daily commuter for 9 yrs., 1980-1989,from Springfield,Va to Wash.,D.C..
From 1968 to 1980 I rode Triumphs & HD FLH's, for the same commute. Only thing that would stop me from riding was ICE. Came home more than once in light snowstorms,crossing the Woodrow Wilson bridge.
17 miles 1 way. I stayed warmer & drier on the Wings than any other motorcycle I owned.
IMO, they are great commuter motorcycles.
Stay safe,
the hobo

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Welcome to the Forum...lots of good folks here and good info

First off, no you are not crazy!

I use my Wing as a commuter, long hauler tourer and everything in between. Am happy to hop on to take a 200 mile trip or a short hop to the store for milk.

I think you will find the motorcycle is amazingly nimble for its size and thus very easy to take out on short trips.

Though my ride to work is only about 12 miles I use the Wing as my primary transportation...when it rains or snows I take the car.....err I mean cage.

Again...Welcome...best of luck to you and have fun!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Weather permitting (I only ride in the rain if I'm caught in it) me and the wife bikepool to work 16 miles each way. Her job is right on my way to work, so it gives us both a chance to enjoy George (the name given to our GW). I've read where the GW is not a good bike for using around town, and I just can't understand why they say that.

Buy it and ride it.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I ride almost every day. From 16° to 123° (as indicated on the bike), from calm days to 80MPH gusts, LA traffic to wide open roads (of course always within the speed limits) and still I love the experience.

You are not crazy. I love the long rides, but most of my miles are back and forth to work.

·
Registered
598 Posts
funny you should ask.

I just got back from the gas station, putting gas in my car. Went to fill out my "fuel log" and the last entry was July 7, 2006. Best part was I only had to put 8 gallons in it to be full.

I ride the wing every day to work, at least until there is a heavy frost on the road or snow.

Paul H.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I commute every day on my goldwing....my poor truck feels left out....I only drive when i have too...but i do start it up once a week and let it run to keep it charged up.....so go ahead and commute on the GW......... :p

·
Registered
271 Posts
I ride every day to work. Rain or shine. New York gave me pleanty of rain riding experence this year. Now im in Tampa,Fl. and its not suppose to rain until Tuesday morning. Wife washed my Rain gear today so I can use it tomorrow. Wing is my means of transportation to and from work.

Glenn

·
Registered
524 Posts
TowJam

Welcome.
I use mine for both(work and trips).
Work:
I travel 37 miles one way(Fridays sometimes turn in to 100+ return to home) everyday.
Going to work is more of a problem due to the other drivers being late/talking on cell phones or putting on makeup BUT the bike has enough gitty up and stopping power to manuver pass these types safety.
So going back and forth to work is really a fun and relaxing ride for me.
Great power.Easy to manuver.Better gas mileage than my truck.Have I mentioned Fun?!
I ride year round here in Va unless ice/snow on the road and no I do not have a heated suit(17 dgrees has been the lowest so far).
Trips:
You will love this bike on trips.
This bike will eat up the miles and take you where you want to go in comfort.
Go to the mountains and you'll find this bike will keep a smile on your face around every turn and never break a sweat.
Broad powerband for such a big bike.
Interstates are no problem either but not very fun unless you want to cover a lot of ground fast.
As i said,I use mine to go pick up my paycheck(but they want me to actually work for it for some reason :lol: ) and if you live far enough away for the engine to warm up before you have to shut it down than this bike really can't be beat.
Just my 2 cents. :wink:

Dave 8)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Towjam

As long as you stay away from central expressway you'll love it.
I am a grad 1975 Richardson high, miss the place still.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I use the wing like most people use their cars. I don't even think about taking the car or truck anywhere unless it is absolutely necessary. Rain is just an inconvience, I just don the rain suit and hit the road. I don't ride if there is ice or snow on the road. The coldest temperature that I have ridden in was 14 deg F (showing on the Wing temp indicator).

Fell in love with the Wing the first time I rode one, couldn't get it off my mind until I rode one home. If anything happened to this one, I'd get another one ASAP...

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Me too.

I commute 100 miles round trip everyday it doesn't rain. I'm not afraid of rain, but There's too much else to compete with on my back roads to work, like Deer, Leaves, and illegals in improperly loaded landscaping trucks.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Hey toejam,
Yeah I ride her everyday to work unless I have to haul something or the weather is really bad. Riding in heavy traffic to work on any bike is no picnic but it's a must for me. The only thing that keeps me from cross country runs is work, grrr. To me it's way better to be riding than driving anywhere or for any distance. I just luv that Wing, you will too if ya get one T. 8)

·
Registered
505 Posts
I ride mine most days to work if the day doesn't start off really bad. I almost got it broken in with 53,000 plus in three years. That said, if I lived where I would have a lot of riding in stop and go rush hour type traffic, I would seriously consider the Silverwing or Suzuki Burgman scooters for their automatic transmissions. I would imagine either would make an excellent commuter. There are some here who use them for the occasional long distance trip and say they perform quite well also. Still the Wing is a great ride. :lol:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
EX-HUNK said:
Hi Towjam

As long as you stay away from central expressway you'll love it.
I am a grad 1975 Richardson high, miss the place still.
Believe it or not, Central Expressway has been upgraded to 6 lanes over the past couple of years and is actually now competitive with the North Tollway with regards to congestion, etc.

But that said, D/FW traffic still sucks. LBJ through north Dallas anytime during the day and 121 through the mid-cities are nightmares for riders.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts