GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know much has been written about this and I have done a lot of searching but was hoping I could get some help on my situation. I have an 08 with a CB. I have always ridden with other Wing riders with CB's and its hard to beat. Now I also have a Z900 and would like to buy something that would allow me to communicate with my Wing friends and others. I ride solo most of the time. From what I gather, there is no way to communicate with the Wing unless they also have some sort of other matching or compatible device. True? I was hoping to get some input as to what others do here who are in this situation. Also for those who own something else such as a Sena, Cardo, UCLEAR etc. It would be great to know how you like them and what you recommend. With my FF helmet I currently have the Edsets and use earbuds with my CB on the Wing. I wonder how the speakers that come with these units compare. Thanks to all who will take the time to share their experiences.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
I rode for a few years on long trips with friends on my 2003 Valkyrie. They all had CBs and I sort of felt left out. So, when I got my 2007 ST1300 I immediately added a J&M CB

https://www.jmcorp.com/Static/jmcb-2003.htm

It is an excellent radio and served me well for seven years with no issues. My audio (using an Autocom audio system) was always said to be excellent. It was easy to use.

I know its not a bluetooth system but just one item I can fully recommend.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I rode for a few years on long trips with friends on my 2003 Valkyrie. They all had CBs and I sort of felt left out. So, when I got my 2007 ST1300 I immediately added a J&M CB

https://www.jmcorp.com/Static/jmcb-2003.htm

It is an excellent radio and served me well for seven years with no issues. My audio (using an Autocom audio system) was always said to be excellent. It was easy to use.

I know its not a bluetooth system but just one item I can fully recommend.
:agree:

Has one on my Nomad. Worked great.

Reactions: varider

·
Registered
265 Posts
Reactions: varider

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Oh, boy...here we go!

<...>Now I also have a Z900 and would like to buy something that would allow me to communicate with my Wing friends and others.<...>
You're referring to another motorcycle, I presume. I'll take the answer as 'yes' for the moment.

I ride solo most of the time. From what I gather, there is no way to communicate with the Wing unless they also have some sort of other matching or compatible device. True? I was hoping to get some input as to what others do here who are in this situation.<...>
One-on-one bike communication (from one bike to another?)

Seriously, sometimes simple is best.

A different thread here not long ago went into quite a discussion on the topic. Essentially, CB is most commonly used, followed by bluetooth and then by other types/styles of 2-way radio (FRS/GMRS/Amateur) for touring riders. It's also the lowest-common denominator - legal in many countries, and offered for sale as part of a touring motorcycle in US, Canada, and in countries in the E.U.

If the majority of your Wing-riding friends have CB, then you'll try to put something on that Z900 that will allow CB on that bike - not likely, I know.

How many of your Wing-riding friends have Bluetooth headsets?

I think you now see the quandary, and why I gave the initial answer I did - hand signals.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I went the route of a J&M CB on my VFR1200X. That way I could ride with my wing friends and still have a CB, use the same helmet and headset I use on my wing. I have since discovered I usually ride my wing with my Wing friends and ride the VFR with friends that use Sena or some other bike to bike communications. I went ahead and took the plunge around Christmas and bought another helmet (which I was due for anyway)and a Sena 20S evo to use on my VFR and kept my Wing helmet with the wired J&M headset. I have yet to use the Sena as intended for bike to bike comm. but I have used the Bluetooth for my phone and music and it works great.
That being said I have a J&M CB with all parts to install including an antenna that works perfect that I will make you a REALLY GOOD DEAL on if you are interested. Send me a PM and let’s talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts