GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any news about the location of WD 42? It should have been announced this morning. :nerd:

·
Registered
518 Posts
This evening is the welcome party and the opening ceremonies are tomorrow morning. Opening ceremonies is when they usually announce next years location.:wink2:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tex,

I have to wait another day!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
They are also going back to the July dates next year......Oklahoma gets real hot in July...
Why?? I heard most riders were enjoying the later date?
I hope WingDing comes West. It was total BS that TN got it 2 years in a row! What is that about . . . :wrong:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Out West

Either Spokane Washington or Coeur d Alene Idaho. Those are my top two guesses.>:)
Idaho would be great; however, if you look at the Wing Ding history of locations, they do not usually add new locations.

Since 2000, the only locations west of the Mississippi River have been Billings, Mt., Grapevine TX., and Tulsa, OK (I am unsure about Des Moines, IA and Madison, WI), so OK would be a good estimated guess.

I was hoping for Billings again, but something new and out west would be a bonus.

Maybe 2 hours before announcement. :nerd:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Someone at the opening ceremony just sent a text message.....Springfield, Missouri week of July 4th.....Seems a little early since the ceremony doesn't start until 830 central time

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's one of the cities where WD was held after 2000. I agree - that's why I stated 2 hours.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well at least there is a giant Bass Pro Shop in Springfield!!

Reactions: saafrican

·
Registered
909 Posts
Do they even bother to think about the weekends they are doing this ? Holiday weekends?? Give me a break!!! Can you say inflated hotel rates even for GWRRA? Thank God I have a time share and can stay in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Do they even bother to think about the weekends they are doing this ? Holiday weekends?? Give me a break!!! Can you say inflated hotel rates even for GWRRA? Thank God I have a time share and can stay in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's Wednesday - Saturday.......
One of the major reasons they do it during this time period (Labor Day or 4th of July) is the demand for the big venue required for such an event, during this Holiday period, is very low.
They can rent these places for much cheaper than other times of the Summer.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Holy Humidity Batman!

July in southern Missouri seems to be a hot and humid environment for bikers to gather. However, it is pretty close to me so I may have to go anyway. It would be my first. OTOH, I'd rather spend my vacation days riding than sitting around talking about riding.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have family in KS and they have a cabin on Tablerock Lake, so it will be beneficial. July or August probably makes little difference in weather.

Reactions: Tex-Ed

·
Registered
909 Posts
It's Wednesday - Saturday.......
One of the major reasons they do it during this time period (Labor Day or 4th of July) is the demand for the big venue required for such an event, during this Holiday period, is very low.
They can rent these places for much cheaper than other times of the Summer.
I have no problem with them booking it when it's cheap. But they also need to consider how much the hotels jack up the rates on holiday weekends and I don't think GWRRA gets that big a break on the rates. This is the third year that they will have had WD within a days ride of Nashville. It's time to move it out west somewhere for a change. Maybe Wyoming or Idaho or Utah? Someplace a little different direction at least. I know Grapevine wasn't that great due to the heat and the weather issue, but even South Dakota would be acceptable in the summer. Guess I may be planning a trip to Yellowstone for sometime next year since I don' t know about going to the same neck of the woods for the third year in a row.

I don't have anything against any of the cities chosen, just the way GWRRA is keeping it in one area. Spread it out a little so there's different parts of the country to see. That's my only gripe. Oh, and booking it on holiday weekends when the hotels jack up the rates for the holiday. Help the area by doing it at a time when tourism may not be that great (beside the winter time).

Oh well, rant over. Time to start planning a ride for next year.

Reactions: Brian_Fenner

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts