GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kind of new at this and have never attended such an event. Since this one is closer to where I live (Denver, CO), my wife has suggested that we give it a shot. Just a few questions.

Is it too late to get a hotel?
How long should we REALLY stay there?
I'm not a GWRRA member so will that restrict my participation?
What's available as far as activities?
Is it worth it?

You can answer any other questions you think I should have asked. :D

greg

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Cant answer your questions as this stuff is not my style.

Take a look at the Rockies Gold Ride in Montrose CO. Much better place as far as i am concerned to meet, mingle, swap lies and have a wonderfull time.

Bulldog

G

·
DENVERWINGMASTER said:
No, Ide even venture to guess that some/most of the mid-range >90 but <150 per night are still readilly available (us Gwraa members being the frugal types that we are)

DENVERWINGMASTER said:
it depends on....
What you want to see...
What seminars you want to attend
Go to the WEB site and pick up a seminar sched.
Do you like to participate/view things like the light parade, etc..
Do you want to participate in the raffles.. (most of them are winner must be present to win)

DENVERWINGMASTER said:
No but you WILL have to pay more to for a full. or daily pass

DENVERWINGMASTER said:
go to the web site www.wing-ding.org, and the seminar, tours schedule should be available, or really soon to be available.

DENVERWINGMASTER said:
Is it worth it?
Oh boy here we go...
You will get the full gambit of opinions here against going the primary being....
1 - not enough vendors
2 - too many vendors of the wrong type
3 - I dont want to have to pay to see vendors
If all you come to see is the vendors, then its a 2 day trip, but if you want the whole experience then you will have to participate in the event, take in the seminars, go on some organized rides, demo a trike or 2 even if your not buying one. (you may someday).
There will be a LOT of strong opinions here on both sides, but heres my take.
Rallies are a reason for a RIDE with RIDE being the primary function.
ITs all about the trip, and the rally is just the gravy on the taters at the end of the trip.
So Im not just going to see the "vendors" Im taking in the WHOLE experience, and enjoying watching the bikes and the people, matching vests, shirts, BOLO ties and all.

my 2 cents

G

·
DENVERWINGMASTER said:
I'm kind of new at this and have never attended such an event. Since this one is closer to where I live (Denver, CO), my wife has suggested that we give it a shot. Just a few questions.

Is it worth it?

greg
Hotel--probably not
Stay--you'll have had enough by the third day
Membership--no, but some discounts aren't available to you
Available--lot of venders, food and maybe a band or two
Worth it--just the event, no! But the chance to meet other Wingers, to get ideas for the bike, and of course the ride to and from makes it very fun.

Should you go?--JMHO, yes, at least once. I've found these events are all fairly much the same as to the sites, vendors, food, and general set ups, but being Wing specific does add to the interesting things you'll find.

Money?--$1000 for trip, food, lodging and misc stuff should leave you a couple of hundred in your pocket when you get home (depending on the junk you buy, err, safety chrome that is). :lol:

Hope this helps,

Pat

G

·
All WIng Ding BLOCK housing is GONE (according to the site), I wonder does this mean you can still get rack-rate rooms, or is the entire hotel SO

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
I pretty much agree with cjmitch and pbird49.

Hope to see you there! 8)

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
hotels are probably booked by now. Lots of stuff to do, depending on what you want to do. As far as if its worth it...thats up to each person. Lots of people dont like WD for what it has become; while at the same time...lots of people like it for what it has become. Ive been there once and I had a good time. Its sort of like a mini-vacation where you can do WD stuff if you want and do other things on your own as well.

pic of me and my bike at WD in Fort Collins a few years back in the bike show...took 2nd place.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/ziggystyles/Bike pictures/wingding1.bmp

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
1.Is it too late to get a hotel? ---NO -

2.How long should we REALLY stay there? 1 day pass is enough

3.I'm not a GWRRA member so will that restrict my participation? YES
3a. How? It will save you money - you won't have to buy 50/50's and raffle tickets which would require you to stay and spend money to see if you win.

4.What's available as far as activities? -Square Dancing,Best dressed,Couple of the year, and a lot of old people who ride there and park then ride home and park the rest of the year.

5.Is it worth it? For 1 day it is then go ride and visit somewhere else and enjoy your time on the bike.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Is it worth it? If you've never been to a Wing Ding, I think you will enjoy it. You'll never see as many Gold Wings, in one parking lot, at the same time, anywhere else. I've been to 11 Wing Dings and stay for the entire event. I always enjoy going. You'll here as many negatives as positives but you'll have to go and judge for yourself. As for not being a member, you'll just pay a little more to register but after that you can do whatever the members do. Go and I'll bet you'll enjoy.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
DENVERWINGMASTER said:
IIs it worth it?
IMHO, no...but then I remember what happened at Grapevine and that turned me off completely.

You could just visit a local WalMart instead...

·
Registered
703 Posts
DENVERWINGMASTER said:

Is it worth it?

greg
I decided that since I've never been to one of these myself, I simply go and being there will answer all the questions I have. I can magine what it's like, however the most important part of going is Yellowstone/Tetons, and Beartooth Pass. We will also stay overnight in Cody, a very historic city.

I respect opinions, but as we know, we all have our own likes and dislikes. I've founf that out on this board.

One opinion I've taken is 1 day you can see pretty most of what is there. 2 to 3 days if you purchase and need it installed. Fo me, I'd like to have jsut a little pinstripping. I'm hoping to get that done on day 2.

So that's my opinion. I'm going to go just to see what it's like.

I thought very hard about Rocky Gold. We were in Montrose last spring and loved the area. maybe some other time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
We've never been, we're going this year. I'll save my observations for after the event. Sounds like a lot of fun, but the ride we've got planned for getting there an back is going to be even more fun.

Oh yeah, it should be a blast just watching all those folks who dress alike wearing those funny looking clothes, while grossly overloading their VISA cards buying a lot of stuff, just because there's a ton of vendors. I've been to a couple of rallies, and have found that you rarely find "good deals" or "discounts" at rallies, especially ones like Wing Ding. Those vendors pay a princely sum to have a booth there, and selling their wares a below cheap prices doesn't help them pay that bill. They're not there just for good PR.

We're planning on having fun. Hope to see you all there.

·
Registered
285 Posts
DT said:
I remember what happened at Grapevine and that turned me off completely
C'mon, DT, what happened at Grapevine? Dish the dirt, bro.

Curious minds want to know. Seriously.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
We are a one-timer to the WingDing 2006 and The Honda Hoot 2005. We enjoyed the two but had a better time at the Hoot due to the riding experience. To all on their own, been there and done that for me {us}. We love to ride but "not to pay to ride". Go at least once and have the best time possible.

G

·
We're going again , went to Grapevine and thought it was great . As for any negative stuff, what else is new, just look at this board sometimes :twisted:

When you get that many people together for any event , stuff is gonna happen, I liked the convince of having all the vender's together in one place , and meeting a lot of really nice and friendly people ! :)

my view is subject to change depending on how many people get mad

2,732 Posts
Hotels still available

I'm certain that Hotels are still available, I would contact them directly as I did. On Friday, 12th of Jan, I still had my pick of smoking or non-smoking rooms at the Juniper Inn, but I'll bet that there are other rooms available also. Someone posted a list on this website of local hotels and that was what I used to start checking. First one I called had rooms, so didn't try any others. Hope to see lots of you there. I'm having a logo made (Canyon Dancer) that I will have on my trunk if you come looking for me (or you could just look for the Yellow one :lol: which should make it easy to find!!!!!)

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I wasn't planning on going to Wing Ding 29 after attending 28 last year. Had a good time, but I missed a lot of the events mostly because It was my first time at Wing Ding and did not have a clue how to get the most out of it.

I am reconsidering now, Billings is < 1,300 miles away from home, heck that is only one day's ride! Yellowstone is 230 miles away from Billings and there are lots of great place in that area that I'm sure I will need to find on my Goldwing! heck i could even come home via Mt Evans, Colorado this time!

It is probably as close as Wing Ding is ever going to be to the West Coast in the foreseeable future, so what the heck I'm in, sounds like a good two week vacation for me. (Juniper Inn also!)

·
Registered
285 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts