GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are considering riding out to attend the Wing Ding in Billings, Montana. Knowing Yellowstone, Tetons and the Beartooth Highway are some real highlights.....what do you folks also recommend while we are out there?
Thanks.....Marc

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Little Bighorn Battlefield (about an hr. south of Billings)

Glacier National Park (highway to the sun)

Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise

·
Registered
143 Posts
Billings travel

If you have the time you need to do Chief Joseph Trail off of the Wyoming end of Beartooth Highway, also take any of the routes over the Big Horn Mountains highway 14 and 14A. There are also any routes in the Black Hills. Favorites are Needles Highway and Spearfish Canyon. Gamble a little in Deadwood. Don't cross South Dakota on the Interstate but take routes south of the super slab. If your into History check out any of the Lewis and Clark visitation centers along the way. But above all else relax and enjoy the ride. Hope we all get to Billings. Tom

·
Registered
703 Posts
MMFaber said:
We are considering riding out to attend the Wing Ding in Billings, Montana. Knowing Yellowstone, Tetons and the Beartooth Highway are some real highlights.....what do you folks also recommend while we are out there?
Thanks.....Marc
We are heading to Wing Ding on Jun 29th. Our first night will be in Rapid City or Sturgis. We are doing a no-no but that's just the way it is. We are trailering across SD. I COULD be hot and windy. We did the crossing in 2004 and it just wares you out.

We will ride the next day to Cody, WY and spend the night there. We hope to spend a little time in Cody visiting the museum.

After visiting a little Cody, we will ride into Yellowstone and have not decided where to stay. I would love to see the Tetons but I don't want to rush through Yellowstone.

July 2 will be to visit Yellowstone a little more and end up in Cooke City. Then on the 3rd, we ride the Beartooth and on into Billings. How long we stay in Billings is a question.

You better make your plans and reservations. Places to saty are filling up. The only reservations we have not made is where we are staying the night of July 1st. I guess I'd better hurry and make those Resv.

If we had another week, I would do Glacier. That will be another trip.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
MMFaber said:
Thanks.....Marc
Here's a photo that I've posted before. Kathy & I were going from Yellowstone to Billings to check out the hotels and tried the Beartooth Pass.
This was in September. So my recommendation is to take your heated vests.

S

·
0 Posts
John all you needed to get through there was a snow tire from a car mounted :lol:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Patriot said:
...I would love to see the Tetons but I don't want to rush through Yellowstone.
Hardly ever does one have to worry about "rushing" through Yellowstone...the traffic will see to that.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I've ridden and driven Beartooth Pass numerous times in June, July, August and up to mid-September and have not had any problems. Just like Sturgis is in August, Montana is a hot, dry place in July and more than likely the people attending Wing Ding will be flocking to Beartooth Pass to find some reasonably cool temperatures.

It's certainly ok to be prepared for rain or cooler weather (that's just good tour planning) but I'd leave the heavy duty cold weather gear at home.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Given that I decided to not renew my GWRRA membership last year, I've only learned of the dates and location of Wing Ding '07 yesterday with the posting update in this thread. So last evening I thought I'd see what the accommodations options might be in Billings. My gawd, the town is already booked solid! Even the places that the Wing Ding website indicates to still be not sold out are apparently unavailable, according to their own websites. I gave up after checking a dozen places.

This is par for the course for Wing Ding, seven months ahead of time, is it?

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
RoadSurfer said:
This is par for the course for Wing Ding, seven months ahead of time, is it?
Yes. You could search for hotels not on the GWRRA list and check in surrounding towns like Laurel.

Good Luck!

S

·
0 Posts
Roadsurfer, I suspect there has been a lot of double booked room that will show up after awhile . This seems to be fairly typical . You could always ask to be put on the cancellation list . :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thanks, guys. I expect that, if I really tried, I could find something -- even on the list provided on the rally website (though possibly only as a result of making calls directly to the motels rather than just relying on the websites of the motel chains themselves). Problem is -- from my perspective -- that a lot of even those motels are many miles away from the rally "site" (like 22+ miles away!).

Maybe it's just that I've never attended a Wing Ding, but I have attended dozens and dozens of other rallies (most Americades, several Honda Hoots and Homecomings, lots of HSTA and STOC rallies, etc.) and, for me, the prospect of being 22+ miles away from the center of the action is just unheard of. But maybe Wing Dings are different. Maybe they're really decentralized and maybe everyone rides from their motel to the central gathering place....

It's all probably a bit academic in any case because, to be able to attend, my wife and I would have to find our way from Stecoah, NC (where we'll be attending an ST Owners Club -- STOC -- rally up to June 30) to Billings Montana in five days. Obviously that can be done, but not in a relaxed manner and along the meandering backroads that I'd prefer. So even if I had a room reserved at the hub of the action, I'm not sure I'd want to "split a gut" getting there and missing all the great roads along the way.

And then there's also the matter of just what a Wing Ding would amount to. Frankly, the image I have is not an appealing one. The only reason I'm considering it is just for the exposure to one Wing Ding -- to see whether my worst fears might be realized or whether the event is getting an undeserved bad rep. I'd really only drop in so as to be in a spot where there are lots of other bikes (the primary reason why I go to most rallies; the demo rides and seminars are nice, but the basic appeal of any rally, for me, is to be able to do some riding while based in a welcoming environment where motorcycles are pervasive).

So, I'll give it some more thought and study the routes between Stecoah and Billings, but I kinda think it'll be a "no go" in the end.

Maybe next year.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
:roll:

Get those vests and cowboy hats out, get ready to shop the vendors for accessories and those pots & pans to go with 'em. After I talked to the folks that went to the last one glad I skipped it and now have only the towing package from 'em. :wink:

2,732 Posts
just reserved a room

Just reserved a room at the Juniper Inn for July 3rd, 4th & 5th (on January 12, 2007) and had my choice of rooms yet but wanted a non-smoking room which limited the options. Call them at 1-800-826-7530 to reserve. Really nice people, talk to Shelly.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
RoadSurfer said:
Thanks, guys. I expect that, if I really tried, I could find something -- even on the list provided on the rally website (though possibly only as a result of making calls directly to the motels rather than just relying on the websites of the motel chains themselves). Problem is -- from my perspective -- that a lot of even those motels are many miles away from the rally "site" (like 22+ miles away!).
That isn't that far! It's about riding anyway! :wink: I'm going to be about that far away and I had my accommodations right away - got a connection. :D

Redneck Dave said:

Get those vests and cowboy hats out, get ready to shop the vendors for accessories and those pots & pans to go with 'em. After I talked to the folks that went to the last one glad I skipped it and now have only the towing package from 'em. :wink:
That actually took longer than I thought. Can't have one GWRRA thread without this stuff getting posted regardless of the topic. :roll:

·
Registered
285 Posts
That isn't that far! It's about riding anyway!
Glad to hear that, William, because of course one of the characterizations I've heard about Wing Ding is that in fact it really isn't about the riding but, instead, about the square dancing, couple costume contests, crazy hat contests, talent shows, tricycle performances, light parades and assorted "off bike games." Still, I do see mention of a daily poker run/guided tour, so it can't be all that bad.

As for daily round trips of 44+ miles of urban traffic-surfing, that's not really my kind of motorcyle riding. But maybe I should just treat Billings as a base, skip the rally site as such, do my own daily loops out into the surrounding countryside, and hope to see at least a few of the 14,000 expected participants riding their bikes out there as well.

Thanks for the tip, Shelly. Hopefully the dyslexia of the Juniper Inn's management ("Quility Compfort"?) is no reflection of the place's quality or comfort.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
RoadSurfer said:
That isn't that far! It's about riding anyway!
Glad to hear that, William, because of course one of the characterizations I've heard about Wing Ding is that in fact it really isn't about the riding but, instead, about the square dancing, couple costume contests, crazy hat contests, talent shows, tricycle performances, light parades and assorted "off bike games." Still, I do see mention of a daily poker run/guided tour, so it can't be all that bad.
Yeah, my comment that "it's about the riding" was in jest - some people complain that Wing Ding isn't about riding and others complain that they can't stay closer to the event. No offense to anyone, but it just shows how hard it can be to keep everybody happy. I agree with you though.

The way I see it, there is enough different stuff going on that everybody should have a good time. The square dancing, crazy hat contests, etc. will all be there. I don't go for that stuff but it doesn't bother me that others do. Lots of people ride great distances to get there and they want to do stuff there before the long ride back.

This will be my first Wing Ding. I've read all the differing opinions on Wing Ding and have spoken with people who have gone and my conclusion is that there are some people who just can't stand seeing others having a good time. They think their way is the only way and they mock anyone who doesn't do what they think they should. I don't understand that attitude. If I don't like it, I simply won't go again but I won't be blasting those who do like it.

There is plenty of good riding in the area. I hope you make it and have a great time. :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Depends on how we read the posts that others make on such a subject, I suppose. Pointing out that if you're going to attend a particular rally you may want to prepare yourself for "vests and cowboy hats" and vendors selling "pots & pans to go with 'em," as Redneck Dave did, shouldn't necessarily be equated with being unable to stand seeing other people having a good time. I'd rather give RD the benefit of a doubt and conclude that those sorts of things and activities are just not his idea of a good time, and he doesn't "blast" others or begrudge them if such activities happen to be theirs.

They aren't my idea of a good time either, but I'm ready to be the first to admit that I'm missing a lot in life because of the restrictions on my particular tastes and priorities. Still, I do want to look for things that make for a good time for me and not those that don't. Words to live by, eh?

Ride safe.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
RoadSurfer said:
Depends on how we read the posts that others make on such a subject, I suppose. Pointing out that if you're going to attend a particular rally you may want to prepare yourself for "vests and cowboy hats" and vendors selling "pots & pans to go with 'em," as Redneck Dave did, shouldn't necessarily be equated with being unable to stand seeing other people having a good time. I'd rather give RD the benefit of a doubt and conclude that those sorts of things and activities are just not his idea of a good time, and he doesn't "blast" others or begrudge them if such activities happen to be theirs.
Those comments were not directed at any one person - that's why I prefaced them with "I've read all the differing opinions on Wing Ding and have spoken with people who have gone..." What I was saying is that there will be something for everybody to have a good time if they focus on what they want to do and not worry about those participating in other activities - let them have fun too.

Yes, it does depend on how we read the posts. The "rolling eyes" set the tone for me. I don't wear funny hats or cowboy hats and I don't square dance but I do like my vest and my pins. And I just may buy some pots and pans there too! (I'll support the vendors who support the rally.)

RoadSurfer said:
...but I'm ready to be the first to admit that I'm missing a lot in life because of the restrictions on my particular tastes and priorities. Still, I do want to look for things that make for a good time for me and not those that don't. Words to live by, eh?
Yup.

Friends for Fun, Safety and Knowledge. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts