GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings and happy 4th and thank you to all who serve and have served. I will be leaving Northern VA for the Ding leaving around 0100 hrs Wed morning. I like night riding in warmer weather to prevent over heating and I like the quiet of the night. However, the night poses additional challenges during stormy summers, beside the wild life. My questions to any Dingers is: How are the roads after the storms and are there any problems I should be aware of in TN? I will be taking 81-64 and then when the sun comes up maybe a by-way to make it interesting.

Also, need a report on the vendors when you all get a chance looking for a Shark helmet so keep us posted.

PS if you are not interested in the Wing Ding I get it, but I don't want to hear it. If you are going or live in TN please comment, if not then read and move on.

Joe :popcorn:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
It is hot and dry here right now and has been for the last couple days. Back roads, that I have been riding on, are cleaned up from the past couple weeks storms. As, always, there are a few spots on some with the gravel, the dogs and deer. Be careful and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
A very strong consideration you should have about night riding is the "aligators" and other debris that are commonly found on our Interstates. At speeds, you will over run your headlight and might not have enough time to avoid the obstacle.

Be careful!

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
If riding non-limited access highways, beware that many of us have gravel drives. If they slope down towards the pavement, gravel often washes onto the road during a heavy rain. Just be alert for that, and around truckstops where diesel fuel spill make it extra-slippery when wet. Most pavement here, although ungrooved, maintains fair traction when wet.

Oh yeah, and watch for trees and limbs if it gets really rowdy (had to move one a couple weeks ago on my way back from Kentucky).

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
From what I have seen Joe there shouldn't be a problem, looks like we are going to get some rain this week but I will ride anyway, I plan on spending one day at the Wing Ding myself, probably Wednesday, just riding the rest of the week. I understand wanting to ride at night, it has been really hot here.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

Just returned from the Ding and let me tell you the area was very nice and the event was as expected. The vendors were priced just right and the selection was incredible. The good folks of TN were as friendly as any place I've visited. The roads were challenging and the views breathtaking. So, would I do it again, yes in a heart beat.

Ride safe

·
Registered
321 Posts
I too had a blast! Other than getting stuck behind tourists on some of the more interesting roads, it was all good. We got "dumped" on a few times, but after all the heat and humidity, it felt good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts